November 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Seth Meyers Teases LeBron, Reggie, Tiger at ESPY Awards (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Jul 15th 2010 5:33AM
Seth Meyers Teases Lebron, Reggie, Tiger on 'ESPY Awards'As host of the 'ESPY Awards' (Wed., 9PM ET on ESPN), Seth Meyers had a lot of material to work with, gleaning jokes both from the sports world and the athletes' private lives.

"This is where sports and entertainment come together," said Meyers. "It's like a Kardashian sister's bedroom." The camera cut to Reggie Bush, Kim Kardashian's on-again, off-again boyfriend, who smiled sheepishly.

Meyers called LeBron James' TV special announcing his move to the Miami Heat "a super boring hour of television" -- pretty brave considering ESPN televised said hour.

He commended James on the deal, but turned even that into a (Tiger Woods) joke you'll find in the clip.

Also on the video: footage from all the Best Play and Best Team nominees, and speeches from the respective awards' surprising winners.

Stan

Other than the tribute to coach Thomas...this was one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever seen in my life.
It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
It was so awful,I couldnt turn it off because I thought it was some weird joke.I kept waiting for it to get better...never happened.
I hope they will do away with this junk next year.

July 15 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charity

Overall, I was disappointed in the host. Had me laugh maybe twice. Very long pauses. Awkward presenters (Mark Wahlberg's drawn-out Entourage presentation left everyone baffled). Under par directing. Octopus thing. Trust me, I watch the ESPYS every year, and I've even attended one. But this year? JUST. NOT. FUNNY. Have Lebron or Justin do it again!!!

Pros: Ed Thomas (tears!), Coach Karl, Shaun White, Saints
Cons: Sucky host and everything else I named earlier. Not giving any Laker recognition.

July 15 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJL

My favorite line was when he said "Give it up for Tiger...If you haven't already!" That cracked me up. I loved the story about Coach Thomas as well.

July 15 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

How come on most of these blogs someone always starts with, This is how..... And then their comment cuts too, I met an older millionaire on www. whatever. whatever ???????? LOL

July 15 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Unlike many of his castmates, Seth is actually funny. I would bet he wrote most of his own lines

July 15 2010 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri Lopiccolo

THE SAINTS WERE THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD..... THE GUYS ON THIS TEAM ARE GREAT AND SOOOOOO DOWN TO EARTH. NEW ORLEANS NEEDED THIS SOOO MUCH AND THEY DID FOR THEM....... DREW IS THE BEST AND WE LOVE HIM.

July 15 2010 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Great show especially the moving tribute to Coach Ed Thomas and the speech by his son. That's what we need more of - fathers and men that set great examples through faith and family and the way they reacted to a horrible act. Amazing true story that everyone should see.

July 15 2010 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CC's comment
luvyanez

Connie, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We need more of Ed Thomas' character and faith spread around this world to make it a better place. I was moved by the impact this man had on his community and more so on his parenting, faith and leadership had on his family. If everyone could cultivate their faith in their own back yard, can you imagine the impact on the world? Wow! I can only imagine!

July 15 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marylou

Great show and great althletes in all areas.
Brees did good winning the althlete of the year, but the lakers should have won the award for team, winning TWO nba finals consecutively. thats hard to do.BUT unfortuantely Lebron & co has ruined the basketball sport for now and in turn Kobe didnt get his due. After all lebron has not won 1 final yet. maybe in the years to come, but not now. his true colors came out with how he handled his free agency
move but his whole egotistical ways and that entourage larger than the pres of the USA. shameful....

July 15 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply