October 24, 2014

'Eureka' - 'A New World' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 17th 2010 7:00PM
'Eureka' - 'A New World'(S04E01) In the finale of the two-part season opener, we spent some more time exploring this strange new reality created in the events of the last episode. More importantly, we got a definitive answer as to which world our cast of time-tossed heroes would be staying in.

As we saw last week, there were both good and bad changes in the lives of Jack, Allison, Fargo, Henry, and Jo. However, upon further exploration the very fact that everything in their world has changed means that these people really have no idea what's going on. They don't know what they've accomplished, what relationships they have with the people around them, and apparently even what conversations they had just prior to their return.

It certainly made for some fun exchanges throughout the hour. As we saw briefly, Dr. Grant also jumped ahead to this altered 2010, and this week we learned more about him.

I was genuinely surprised to find out that Grant had intentionally switched jackets with Jack back in 1947, and that he'd reconfigured the device to ensure he could join the gang on their trip back to 2010. Only, he was going to sacrifice Jack in the past for a glimpse of the future.

Honestly, though, I'm not even sure I could blame the guy. What would you do if given such an opportunity?

As we got deeper into this world, more and more potential for interesting and fun future episodes were established. Allison is apparently the Chief of Medicine at Global Dynamics now, which left room for Fargo to ascend to the position of Director. Even more intriguing, the Fargo that was in this time line must have been a real hardass, as Tess was stunned when he apologized, and everyone is very respectful and submissive around him. I expect plenty of surprised looks as the Fargo we know and love interacts with them, complete with all of his goofy mannerisms.

Tess is back in charge of Section 5, where the temporal device was housed so Henry could continue working on it, and Deputy Jo Lupo is now the Head of Security at Global Dynamics. That left an opening at the Sheriff's office, and one of the more pleasant surprises of the episode.

Sheriff Andy was an android brought in to replace Jack, and I always thought there was a great deal of potential in the character. To see him walk in as Deputy Andy brought a smile to my face. And his potential began to manifest itself immediately when he deduced that Jack was questioning him about the past because he'd jumped back in time to 1947, and was now in an altered time line. Brilliant! Oh, he'll be a lot of help in future cases.

We got a scare when Andy took a lot of hits of lightning in the climax, and I worried for a bit that they were going to destroy him, but it looks like he will in fact be sticking around.

In fact, we'll all be sticking around, for better or for worse. I'm not sure if we'll ever find out how the temporal device got destroyed, but this reality is the reality now, and everyone had better get used to it. It should be interesting seeing Henry try and pretend to be married to a woman he hardly knows, while Jack has to figure out all over again if he and Tess can work as a couple. Only this time, he has to do it while she's moving in and thinks things are going great.

As for Dr. Grant, he's most likely thrilled to be stuck in the future, though I'm not yet sure how they're going to integrate him into the town without revealing who he is. In a way, Dr. Grant will be our new "everyman" for the wonders that happen in Eureka, as Jack was in the earlier episodes. Sure, he's a brilliant scientist for 1947, which will give him an edge up, but he's still amazed by cell phone technology, much less the kinds of things the citizens of Eureka come up with week after week.

It's always risky to mess with the time line in an established show like this, but it looks like the writers have been pretty careful this time around. There may be more secrets to reveal regarding other changes that may have happened, but they've already opened up infinite storytelling opportunities, while staying true to the characters at the heart of the show.

Brp

Yawn. The show's writers must have been asleep or on a smoke break. Time travel / alternate universe with the usual, predictable results - already been done several times over; Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Quantum Leap, Ray Bradbury's Theater, Outer Limits, etc.
Fargo as the head honcho ? What a novel idea - put a fool in charge whose talent is causing chaos and who has a male secretary who is even worse. Slapstick / comedy relief.
Bring back the originality or the show may not have another season.

July 21 2010 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jadzia113

Two episodes, okay and one more to go back. There's no reason to sink Eureka like NBC (Oh that's right the mother unit to SyFy is NBC-Universal or something like that) did Heros. One season of Heros then into then spiraling down it went in flames. Tess was fine, moving her on is okay. Carter and sxual tension in play again with Allison could be fun. I like Jo & Zane together, leave them alone. It's a slow & romantic relationship. I'm sorry about Allison's son, another show maybe they'll discover something. But Grant...I didn't like Baltar to begin with -EVER! Send him packin'!!! Sheriff Andy was fun. Come on now, have the writer's go for a run or walk, and bring something new back. They have it in them I'm confident. Don't do soap opera crud like BSG or fragmented weird 6 minute attention span dirt; bring some more good scifi fun like your capable of. Thanks

July 19 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I thought that the machine was damaged by the Red ELF storm not a saboteur, they seemed to conclude that it wasn't sabotage, maybe I missed something.

July 19 2010 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Eric H's comment
Mitch

As for "who broke the machine?" - my money is on Henry's wife. She distracted him briefly and mentioned that she wasn't a dummy. I think she, somehow, figured out what happened - saw how distant Henry had become, etc - and sabotaged the machine so they couldn't change her life back.

July 19 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

ok, well first I have to get this out of my system,....
YAY!!!! SHERIFF ANDY'S BACK!!
.. there I feel better!

The phone in the jacket thing, one has to question how did Grant know how to adjust it to target himself? How did he know that it MUST target himself?
The fact that he used 1947 technology to do it, helped to cause the calamity with the wayback machine I think. It could possibly be Grant who broke the machine, but it could equally be possible that the unstable cell phone which was in close proximity to the machine ( remember when Henry was holding it while his new wife was sipping coffee, and she pointed out that there was indeed something going on with the machine/algorithm whatever ?)

I felt awful for Jo. But at the same time, it seemed like there was still some kind of connection between the two, despite his never having had a relationship with her in this reality. I wonder if the soul mate theme will bring them together despite the fact that in this reality they haven't connected.

Fargo as the evil dictator? Ya that's just odd.

Sheriff Andy knowing they time traveled, not good. He still has difficulty with bucking the rules and as was stated in the episode, any who travel time will be sanctioned. Is the android capable of ignoring that big a broken rule, when in the past he couldn't deal with a minor faux pas? That worries me , because it might mean , once they get time rotated back to where they began, they won't be able to bring him back out of his suitcase.

Kevin not being autistic anymore, makes me wonder what happened different in this pregnancy/ early childhood? Was it something good or bad?(could have been either that changed the events that brought on the brain damage) Kevin hasn't really shown any of his intelligence so we don't know if he is not a genius without his autism. How will Allison react to his possibly not being the key to adjusting the machine as he was to begin with.

Tess? I would rather Carter be with her, Allison loves him he loves Allison, but she's just too sophisticated for him.

I liked the way they explained why only small things were changed, while the history of the world remained remarkably unchanged. It actually made sense.
Can't wait till next week.Shows like Eureka are the few that make me want to even bother tuning in to Scyfi(or however they want to call it now)

July 18 2010 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zardoz

The interaction between Jack and Allison made the show from the beginning as far as I'm concerned.

Tess is an outsider always will be. Get rid of her!
Kind of like the one season that they replaced Dr. Krusher with what's her face on Next Generation. It was just a let down.

Seems they needed a bad guy to replace Stark. So they bring in the creep Grant.
Stark was the one you loved to hate, But he did it so well I miss him. Grant on the other hand, JUST GO AWAY !

The whole 1940's theme brings a dreary drab lifeless feel to the series.
It used to be fun to watch.

July 18 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

How convenient that now that Allison's son is not autistic. The cast has the token teenager to replace the role previously held by Jack's daughter, and make all kinds of "old people" jokes? How soon before he gets a job at Cafe Diem?

July 18 2010 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Well, I've already got it all figured out. If the fans don't like the new, alternate reality, they'll find Einsteins original plans for the machine and rebuild it and send Dr. Grant back to the past. Seems that it was his disappearence in 1947 that was the key to the reality shift. At least Eureka isd one of the few remaining science fiction shows on the channel. What isn't? Mary Knows Best, Fact Or Faked, wrestling and three versions of Ghost Hunters. I'd rather watch reruns of Auto Man. As for the movies, let's start a Science Fiction Classics Theatre on the channel. Maybe start with the 1951 version of The Thing or the 1953 movie THEM. How about a Sat. morning cartoon line up? The original Transformers for one. Maybe Reboot and Starblazers.

July 18 2010 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I think Allison might have destroyed the machine. She was so happy to have her son talking and interacting with her. Poor Jo! She goes from almost being engaged to not even having a boyfriend. I am so glad Tess is back. Her and Carter were a great couple. Carter only convinced himself they weren't good as a couple because she left now that she is back they will be great together. Fargo in charge of GD OMG! Henry married?! Great episode. The fact is they can't change any of it now. There one chance blew up. They can't say anything so they have to try to make it work now.

July 18 2010 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brad456

the first 2 episodes of this season of Eureka is surprisingly good. I give it an B+
I hope they keep it up.

As for all previous seasons of Eureka.
I give them an F-
all the shiny soulless crap from every terrible SciFi story ever made. like a magicians illusion, a promise of something great, and at the end of the day, you got nothing of substance.

as for all the so called fans of Eureka.
I don't think they know what good SciFi even is.
techno babble and high technology is not enough to make a SciFi tv show. theres something called a good story that must also be there. unfortunately its not there. in each episode something is introduced, it creates havoc, then is solved, and you never see it again. there are no consequences in this show.
except once a year when they decide to change things by killing off a character or some other plot twist.

July 18 2010 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply