December 18, 2014

'Persons Unknown' - 'The Truth' Recap

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 17th 2010 11:00PM
Persons Unknown(S01E06) OK, so I missed the first five minutes of tonight's episode (damn move to Saturdays!). Can one of you fine readers explain why the private eye was helping Mark and Kat get to the airport and get on a plane to Italy? Did he have a change of heart? Is there another motive for getting them there? Or am I misreading the scene entirely?

Regardless, I can honestly say that this show is one of the short-run shows that I am completely hooked on. Where I got tired of shows like 'Happy Town' and 'Harper's Island,' I'm sticking with this all the way.

I was thinking of how much of a different show this would be if it wasn't created as a 13 episode series. Imagine if it was a multi-season mystery, like 'Lost' or 'Alias.' We wouldn't be getting as many answers as we've been getting in this show. What we found out tonight would have been revealed in episode 6 of season 3. So let's hear it for short-run shows. We're getting a lot of answers.

We're also seeing character changes and reveals. Just when you thought Joe wouldn't be discovered as being in on the entire plot, in this episode everyone found out he is. And just when you thought Erika was going to turn out to be the tough ex-prisoner who really has a heart of gold we find out that she's in love with Janet and actually poisons Joe with anti-freeze because she's jealous (and she wants to find out if he knows anything). That isn't the way most shows would have gone, even in a short season.

So it's a great twist that Joe has already been discovered as a spy, and it opens up a lot of plots. How will the rest of the gang -- especially Janet -- treat him? Will they ask him more questions? Demand to talk to the kidnappers? Will Mr. Jerky try to kill him with the sledgehammer? Or will the people in charge decide to kill or isolate Joe because he has betrayed them? Nah, I doubt either will happen. Joe is too important to the show.

I'm still not thrilled with the investigation that Mark and Kat are heading. Yeah, I'm happy that Kat is finally becoming a real character that's a little likable, but things seem to be happening a little too quickly (though I know they have to do that with a show like this). They're in Italy going to the funeral of someone who might be involved in the kidnapping of Janet? They're dressing up as a priest and a nun like Jonathan and Jennifer on 'Hart to Hart' to talk to Tori's dad? Thugs kidnap them and they talk and they seem to join forces to find Tori's killer and Janet?

But it's good that we now have a solid connection between Janet and Tori (the photograph), so at least Mark and Kat know that there's something bigger going on here and the full investigation can begin.

More thoughts:

• I love when Mark found the secret vault in the office and discovered that promotional shot of the 'Persons Unknown' cast that the ambassador had for some reason. Perhaps the ambassador works for NBC? Or did he download the pic from the "bios" section of the NBC web site?

And how convenient that this shot just happened to have Tori and Janet in it so Mark knows that there's a connection. Imagine if the pic was just Tori alone or Tori and Moira or Tori and the concierge?

• I was impressed that Mr. Jerky actually showed that he cared what happened to Joe, calling the kidnappers "sadistic bastards." It sort of made up for the fact that earlier in the episode he was going around with a sledgehammer, smashing things.

• In an earlier review I compared this show to a reality show, with a group of strangers brought together in one place, facing challenges. Specifically it's like this season of 'Big Brother,' with a saboteur in their midst. Only this show's saboteur has second thoughts, and wasn't voted out of the town the first week.

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

sarah

Bob, you don't review Hell's Kitchen anymore?

July 20 2010 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I've been a fan of Kandyse McClure(Erica) for some time,loved her as Duella on Battlestar Galactica.But I had no idea as to her acting range until PU. This character is unlike anything I have ever seen her do before,she is Erica!

July 19 2010 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

Does anyone know where Canadians can watch this show legally? Thanks!

July 19 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

The dopey Mark and Kat plot is just one of many aspects of this program that are disappointing, but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.
- matthew
www.personspeople.com

July 18 2010 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

in the first 5 minutes or so, Mark gets woken up by the PI saying something like "Good Job getting Kat involved ... now she's in danger. With this warning he rushes over to Kat's apartment and finds her tied up ... then the guys in blue show up to kill her (and possibly him) ... and the PI shows up and kills the guys in blue.

He then gives them tickets to go to Rome.

July 18 2010 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Gordon Werner's comment
Donna

I also missed the first 5 mins and was wondering what had gone on so many thanks for that info, Gordon Werner!

Rather than try to figure out what means what with this series - 'cause I've been sooo wrong, sooo many times already - I'm just letting it play out and enjoying every minute of it. BUT, I do have one question about last night: WHERE did Erika get the anti-freeze?

July 18 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

Well, the fake town has clothing stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, etc. so I guess she found it in one of them. In the first episode they found guns in a sporting goods store, so it's not like the whole town has been completely nerfed -- the powers that be obviously seem to want to watch the captives try to kill or scheme each other so it follows that they'd want to have several means of poisoning laying around I guess. However the whole time I was wondering why the Chinese guy hadn't noticed that it was the girl that poisoned Joe and not the bosses, since his whole job is to watch everybody... but if he had noticed then we couldn't have had that scene where the two guys talk and we're lead to believe that it was the bosses poisoning Joe.

July 18 2010 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Until the crazy girl builds a radio with coconuts, I'd make Joe explain where he goes in that elevator. Six floor elevator in a three story building?

July 18 2010 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply