October 23, 2014

Canceled 'Damages' Gets a Reprieve from DirecTV

by Audrey Fine, posted Jul 19th 2010 8:30PM
Glenn Close in 'Damages'Just when those corrupt corporate bad guys thought it was safe to resume their dastardly business practices, comes the news that ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes will be back.

That's right, folks, as it has been rumored since April, 'Damages,' the critically acclaimed but ratings-challenged Glenn Close legal drama, may have been given the boot by FX after three seasons (although, an official announcement was never made) but DirecTV has swooped in at the last minute to save the day.

According to USA Today, Sony on Monday inked a deal with the satellite provider that will have it air two more 10-episode seasons on its 101 network. The news comes less than two weeks after 'Damages' received five Emmy nominations (including one for Close, who has won the "Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series" award the last two years running).

This is a landmark move for DirecTV, which, till now, had either scooped up un-aired episodes of canceled shows or, as is the case with 'Friday Night Lights' (which also just received two justly deserved Emmy nods), shared the programming of the original series with another network.

With any luck, this move will boost 'Damages'' ratings and expose an entirely new audience to the much under-appreciated show.

WHAT OTHER CANCELED SHOWS SHOULD'VE BEEN SAVED? TELL US ON FACEBOOK!

Judy B

I'm not crazy about Directtv but I guess I'm happy I have it. Too bad they didn't do the same for Jericho. I loved that show and certainly would have liked to have seen another season of it.

July 26 2010 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

great-now I just have to find someone who get direct tv!

July 24 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmy604

'If there is a question, the answer is money'. Reality is cheaper than good drama

July 23 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne

Well dang! I was all excited to think I was going to get "Damages" back again, then realized I don't have Direct TV. Who's bright idea at FX was it to cancel it in the first place? I've been waiting all summer for the new season to start...for no reason apparently. What's happening to the intelligence of our viewing public when crappy reality shows get the ratings and GOOD quality shows do not :-/

July 23 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmy604

This show was so great, both story line and acting.
Hope there's a write in campaign for it to air on other venues, since I have Brighthouse cable.

July 23 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

I've read that if you don't have Direct TV you won't be able to watch the show... now I'm really disappointed... sure hope someone picks it up after the season runs on DTV..

What a waste if they don't.. *whine*

July 21 2010 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmonter

If they have another season of "Damages" on DirectTV, at least they would eventually put the season on DVD for fans who don't have DirectTV.

July 21 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ZaXXoN

Never seen it. Not a fan.

July 20 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustinOpinion

OK, same question someone else asked....If I don't have DirectTV does that mean I won't be able to continue watching "Damages", or do they have a station on Comcast also?

July 20 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JeanieQ

I was hoping it was going to be Happy Town or Flash Forward. Too bad.

July 20 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply