August 28, 2014

'The Bachelorette' - 'Let Me Be Frank' Recap

by Laura Prudom, posted Jul 20th 2010 7:10AM
(S06E09) Someone needs to alert ABC -- I think that there was a little confusion on primetime tonight. Many of us tuned in to see 'The Bachelorette,' but seemingly found ourselves watching a brand new spin-off called 'The Frankette' instead.

The promos for this week's episode gave us plenty of warning about the that a trainwreck was coming, but no 30-second clip can truly do justice to the epic level of douchiness Frank displayed last night. So if the "surprise!-but-not-really" reunion between Frank and his "sickened" ex didn't just make you flip channels to see what MTV was showing, join us after the jump to try and figure out what the frak we just witnessed ...

Things started off jovially enough with Chris and Roberto packing for Tahiti inbetween slow, thoughtful shots of them staring contemplatively into mirrors, or at baseballs, as if they held the secrets to the meaning of life. But then Frank had to go and ruin it all with his now prerequisite angsting and over-analyzing, deciding that before he could truly give his heart to Ali, he needed to visit his ex-girlfriend in Chicago to make sure that he was "over her" ... because that always works out so well.

It's a given that reality dating shows are designed to be tacky, and 'The Bachelor' and 'The Bachelorette' franchises in particular are designed to turn dating into one huge, televised exercise in cheating with 20 people at once, but I've never been more tempted to change the channel than I was when Frank made his "impromptu" visit to see his ex, Nicole.

And wasn't it amazing how such a spur-of-the-moment visit could seem so perfectly orchestrated in Nicole's completely contrived hotel room totally authentic "studio apartment"? I'm shocked that she was so comfortable in front of the cameras and that she didn't seem at all surprised that her ex-boyfriend showed up with a TV crew in tow. But hey, my exes all have their own personal sound guys and lightning technicians too: Isn't it a small world?

Not so much, I'm afraid. I seriously thought that I'd stumbled onto an episode of 'The Hills' by accident, and that Audrina was about to pop out from behind a curtain to tell Nicole and Frank all about her latest escapades with Justin Bobby. The whole thing just seemed ... gross. We signed up to see Ali's search for love (and maybe also to ridicule a weatherman): Who gives a damn about the dating follies of the flaky dude who lives with his parents and has more psychological ups and downs than a yo-yo?

By the time he revealed the truth to Ali, I'd moved on from bored and weirded-out to just plain irritated by the guy; Ali summoned up plenty of righteous anger over Justin, but Frank was final three, and Ali had just met his parents. For him to decide that he was doing the "right thing" at this late stage in the game, after so much time and energy had already been invested in their relationship, was utterly laughable, not to mention hurtful.

I'm the first to admit that a hefty amount of the 'Bachelor/ette' is contrived, but there was nothing fake about Ali's tears when Frank told her the truth, nor her reaction to the latest in a long line of knocks against her fragile self-esteem. To hear the woman say "I can't help but think there's something wrong with me," because another guy was a douche to her is so heartbreaking. I have a feeling that if Frank hadn't made everything so FUBAR this week, the eventual outcome of the show would have been entirely different -- how about you guys?

The episode saved all the drama for the end, but Ali did have two cute dates with Roberto and Chris beforehand -- sharing a retreat on a heart-shaped island with Roberto and searching for pearls in the surf with Chris. It's hard to imagine that she would have sent either of them home, but I feel like it might've been poor, long-suffering Chris on the chopping block had Frank stuck around. I'm glad he got a chance to deepen his connection with her, a relationship which Ali later compared to the creation of a pearl -- aww!

Both guys got their time in the fantasy suite with Ali, but was there canoodling, or just stimulating conversation? I hope that our bachelorette got in all the happy time she could before Frank dropped the ex-bomb on her.

It made me kind of sad that Chris actually admitted that he loved Ali outside the fantasy suite, but she didn't say it back -- I'm clearly too much of a sucker for romance novels. Both guys are slowly but surely opening up to her, but I hope this setback with Flaky Frank won't make her pull away from them: I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to call it quits altogether after being so obviously head over heels for the guy.

BOO, FRANK, BOO. Go back to Chicago and never show your face on a reality show again! My heart can't take all the drama ...

But Roberto and Chris survived another week. Will either of them get Ali's final rose and the chance to propose? Next week, we'll hear the men "Tell All" in a special filler episode, and in two weeks, we'll finally know once and for all just who (if anyone) Ali chooses.

Share your thoughts on Frank's decision below, and if you have any burning questions for our Bachelorette, we'll be chatting to Ali herself at around 2PM Eastern/11AM Pacific, so leave them in the comments!

[Follow Laura on Twitter @LauinLA.]

purplehntr

But just how truthful is all this stuff? I've read things about both Chris L and Roberto that make the final two seem not such a great deal anymore. It's rumored that Chris is a party guy...hanging out at his favorite local bar and bringing women home at a fairly regular clip. And Roberto supposed had been dating a girl for about 3 months (ok that's still a pretty new relationship at least in my point of view) and when he was picked for the show, he stopped taking her calls/txt's and disappeared from his Facebook account. Maybe its true maybe not. Maybe he just wasn't that into this girl either. Who knows? But if that is true (and there is nothing wrong with these guys having a life before going on the show) it kind of changes how you feel about them. Chris L.'s appeal to most is that he's a real hometown guy who just lost his mom and is struggling with his emotions over that. Kind of seems awkward if he is really a party animal. And Roberto has never spoken ill of any of the guys on the show, even Jerky Justin and Freaky Frank, so that was a big plus in my book. He seemed to genuinely be falling for Ali but wasn't ready to just jump all over the "It's only been 3 weeks but I'm madly in love and want to propose to you" wagon.

We all know it's for show and ratings, otherwise people wouldn't watch. But it is getting ridiculous now because they are trying to one-up themselves every season. Just how bad can it get? 24 guys come on and they are all married but one and the Bachelorette has to pick the single one??? Hmmmm not a bad idea actually LOL

July 23 2010 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jr

i think chris is the guy really down to earth, and very loving, really cute just a nice down to earth guy go for it and lots of luck, thank god you did not get to hopefully not pick frank, just did not seem the right guy for you. lots of luck

July 21 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leyah

I thought the Cris L would have been a better pair for Ali, he is very much of a family guy and his age looked better for her. They were so cute and a better pair than the rest.

July 20 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

"Frankly," I think Frank did the right thing. What made me nauseous his whining and crying about it? Could he not act like a man, tell her and get it over with and just leave? And what's up with Ali's "I gave up everything to be here?" The only thing I see that she gave up is a job and in return she gets to travel around the world with a new wardrobe, go on great dates with some nice guys, maybe her prince, a couple of frogs, eat fine meals, etc. - all for free. She may even find "true love," but if not, she's certainly exposed herself to meeting more eligible bachelors.

July 20 2010 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Martin

I personally think Frank was afraid of being picked. I think he used the ex-girlfriend as a way out. Just think what would have happened had Ali picked Frank....what do they do? Go home to Chicago where he doesn't even have a job and he lives with his parents? Frank got scared and he obviously bailed.

I feel sorry for Ali. Those tears were real -- not like the phoney tears she shed when she left Jake for her job. There's two great guys left but my feeling is that she doesn't pick either of them. I hope I'm wrong.

July 20 2010 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Bailey

I am disgusted with the entire show. How fake can it get? IT's all about ratings - not real life.

July 20 2010 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I feel bad for Ali about Frank, because I really do believe she would have chosen him in the end. But at least it happened now. People are saying how bad it is for him to have waited this long, travel all the way to Tahiti before telling her he's in love with someone else, but it could have been when he was the final 2 after meeting her family or when she was up there with the last rose, giving it to him. I think the two guys she has left are great, and that she could easily be with either one. I hope the rumors that she doesn't choose either one are not true, because I think she should at least try a relationship out with one of them (I wouldn't mind if she rejected a proposal until after they were dating in the real world)... I guess we'll have to wait 2 weeks to find out... I personally would choose Chris, which means Ali will probably go for Roberto (a good choice as well!)

July 20 2010 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kristi's comment
Artista

Well said RightMom.
Last night, I came to the conclusion that the whole show was just an act showing different scenarios (like Soaps)that can happen in real life. This would explain the high rate of failure of these attempted relationships. Perhaps you should invite Dr. Phil to counsel the group about some essential exchange of information between dating people. Frank was disgusting. I thought Ali was acting her tears (some people can do it=actress) having realized that Chris or Roberto would be a better partner. I think The Bachelorette will lose points. You need to rethink something: what is the purpose if this show? Put your creative cap on.

July 20 2010 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chacha

I was disappointed with ABC/"The Bachelorette" for spending as much time as they did on Frank. I really had no desire to watch as Frank sputtered thru his speech to his ex about love. But what really pissed me off was the fact this jerk got to go to Tahiti...for free!!!! He got to fly to the other side of the world (on ABC's dime) to one of the most beautiful places in the world just to tell Ali the truth.

The best part was when he tells Chris Harrison "I don't know what to do!" You could almost see Chris thinking "Really? Really you don't know what to do?" What a douche. I don't really feel bad for Ali though. This entire tie, she has been trying to assure Frank of her love and that what they have is good and she wants to be with him. A woman should never have to reassure a man to that degree. Plus whoever she picked, whether it be Chris or Roberto, has to be watching the episodes with their freinds and families. I wonder what her pick was thinking when she was weeping about how she saw herself as Frank's wife and how he was the one and that she couldn't wait for him to meet her parents. Whichever guy she picked to marry (after watching this) I would think would feel like 2nd choice because she was obviously going to choose that loser Frank over either one of the great guys she ahs now.

Frank was a piece of scum. He didn't want to be alone..that's why he didn't tell Ali about the ex. He was afraid if he did Ali would drop him and then he would of taken the chance of his ex not taking him back. He went to the very orchestrated hotel room to see his ex and got her answer first. What a douche.

July 20 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I thought all of Ali's boo-hooing about Frank was crazy. She had two hot guys up in the "fantasy suite" (what a tacky name). She's got two guys - one who openly said he loves her and one who says he's falling in love with her, and she's supposed to be heartbroken about wimpy Frank? Unless she has some wierd need for men who are going to fail her.

I think Jake is going to show up at the end. Then he and Ali will walk off into the sunset - or maybe go to the "fantasy" suite.

July 20 2010 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Georgia's comment
Helene

Fantasy Suite if Jake shows up!! Nothing more, nothing less.

July 21 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply