October 24, 2014

Nickelodeon Orders New Series in 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' Franchise

by Chris Harnick, posted Jul 21st 2010 12:02PM
Hot on the heels of the 'The Last Airbender' film, Nickelodeon has green-lit a new series in the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' cartoon franchise.

'Avatar' creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko will helm the tentatively titled 'The Legend of Korra.'

Set 70 years after the events of the original 'Avatar' cartoon series, the new show will follow Korra, described as a "passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl."

"Mike and Bryan have imagined a compelling new story inspired by the 'Airbender' mythology that they so brilliantly crafted when the TV series began," Brown Johnson, president of animation at Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group, said in a statement. "This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

When the series picks up, Korra will already have mastered earth, water and fire and seeks to control air. She meets Tenzin, Aang's son, and the two begin Korra's airbending training while dealing with the dangers of a growing anti-element bending revolution.

The new series is set to debut in 2011.

Tell us: Were you a fan of the original series? Will you tune in for this new show?

Madilyn Mangas

OMG! I've been waiting for a new installment of avatar for ever. I loved the first show and the second sounds awesome. My only concern is that I don't hav the nicktoons channelthe currently play the original avatar: the last airbender. So I hope that you will play this new show across all the nickelodeon channels. Can't wait!!!

June 22 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Madilyn Mangas

June 22 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shanji

Wooho! I kinda expected this will happen. I mean it's impossible that nick wont demand another franchise of Avatar bcoz...duh it's sooo freakin' popular. Anyway this should be realllly interesting. I hope the Avatar won't end with the Legend of Korra. I want to see some earth/fire Avatars!!!

November 02 2010 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weight loss

This is very exciting! This is a franchise worth keeping around! I always wanted to be a cartoonist, but it's tough to break into that industry... I looked into opening my own franchise from this franchise directory. It's got a lot of information! Check ti out!

October 11 2010 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haplo

Yes I would definitely watch it. I enjoyed watching the original series this past year and half with my five year old daughter. It was well written and thought out series. I was a little disappointed with the movie. Looking forward to it.

August 13 2010 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrisjozo

It sounds like a good show. My only problem is that they only set it 70 years in the future. If the new avatar is a teenager like Ang is now then it means that Ang died in his 70's because he only lived about 58 more years before she was born.

July 25 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chrisjozo's comment
MimiV

I love the show...can't get enought of it. I can't wait till the new avatar starts. I love to watch the Avatar extras too.

August 06 2010 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pg1171

Glad to see this is coming about. Had never seen the show until two years ago. While on vacation, the kids wanted to see the show. Started watching what I later learned was the final show (The two hour ending). I really liked it! Good animation, and I later learned who some of the voices were. Mark Hammill of Luke Skywalker fame as the Firelord, and Jason Isaacs of Lucious Malfoy fame as Admiral Zhao. Reminded me of the old Star Trek Next Gen actors doing the voices for Gargoyles. I hope the new series does answer some questions left unanswered in the first series. They could make another season on that one! Three Cheers for the new avatar!

July 23 2010 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

It'll be really cool to see the new Avatar talk to an old man Aang! Plus I'm sure we'll get to see how their lives went in flashbacks.

July 23 2010 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

This show is going to be great they can build on a new story while giving us glimpses into what happened to the gang in the past. Pretty smart.

I'm already sure we will see how the crew shaped the future/present.

July 21 2010 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Hell yes. That series was the best thing on TV. I can't wait to see what Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko come up with.

July 21 2010 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply