July 26, 2014

CBS Cancels 'The Bridge' After 3 Episodes

by Chris Harnick, posted Jul 22nd 2010 10:00AM
Aaron Douglas, The BridgeEverybody, it's time to say goodbye to 'The Bridge.' Wait, what do you mean you weren't one of the 2.8 million viewers watching the Canadian import that aired Saturdays on CBS?

Vulture is reporting the low-rated cop drama has gotten the boot from CBS after just three episodes. Its replacement? Repeats of CBS's canceled crime procedural 'Cold Case.'

Aaron Douglas, Chief Tyrol to 'Battlestar Galactica' fans, headlined 'The Bridge,' a series about a police union head cleaning up the corrupt force.

Last week's episode was seen by 2.8 million viewers; 426,000 of them were under the age of 50. In TV terms, that's not good. At all.

Reportedly CBS only paid about $500,000 per episode of the CTV series. That's a small amount by industry standards.

TV Squad's interview with Aaron Douglas

vicki

We finally get a cop show that's a little off the standard formula (and, I thought, pretty good) and they yank it? So how many if us are staying home Saturday nites to catch up on Cold Case episodes we missed because of football running over? Much as I liked CC, not me!

July 27 2010 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I forgot to add, The Bridge had a touch of The Shield and a touch of The Sopranos. I guess it was TOO REAL for CBS. Come on cable stations, pick it up fast. Same with Three Rivers, a great show, well cast, well scripted, well directed, interesting topic (transplant hospital).....ran a few weeks then bang. Yet the other crappy doctor shows were saved. Go figure.

July 26 2010 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I should have known it would be cancelled. I liked it. It was far superior to most of the new ones this summer. Rookie Blue is ok. Kinda dumb, but worth watching. I swear these tv stations are running scared from the cable shows. Hopefully TNT, USA, FX or even Bravo will pick up The Bridge. It at least deserves a decent chance to succeed or fail on a decent night.

July 26 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ellie Goldstein

This was one of the best shows on the air. How they
are stupid or ignorant enough to cancel it after just
3 shows is beyond me. If it had aired any night but
Saturday it would have had a much bigger audience.
What is wrong with you CBS????

July 26 2010 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trent

Why CBS you never can tell what's up their rear-end.
They cancelled the hit show "Gomer Pyle" only because their "new" target audience were not Gomer Pyle watchers.

At this point them seem to be only interested in making the cheapest show with the most viewers. That is why "reality" shows are all over the place now days, though I do not watch them.

July 26 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Give me a break CBS....why would you commit to 13 episodes up front and ditch the show after the 3rd one aired. This was a smart cop show with great actors...Not everyone wants to watch reruns and not everyone goes out on a Saturday night and would like a fresh show to watch!!

July 25 2010 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe tomasulo

I don't understand why you don 't give a new show a chance to develop an audience. Showing 2 or 3 episodes is beally unfair. Saturdat nights during the summer is not exactly prime time tv. People are busy outside not inside. All the cold cases have already been solved. Try something new anmd different to try to pull in new viewers. What have you got to lose?????

July 24 2010 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Internal_Affairs

@gail franklin I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others. WFOR-CBS4 investigative reporter Mike Kirsch was arrested. Witnesses contradict the police version of events and an unreleased audio tape confirms same. Ex Metro Dade cop and bodybuilder Gil Fernandez Jr. murdered three men in the Everglades.
Rolando Bolanos Jr son of former Hialeah police chief arrested for bank robbery. I could give you a list of at least 20 police officers arrested or charged with crime just this month and the majority are from Dade Coulty. You should keep better company.

July 24 2010 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Internal_Affairs

Murders by the police. Acts of brutality. Corruption. Obstruction of justice. .... The level of corruption in U.S. is shocking. To many, the only difference between U.S. organized crime gangs and the police is that the cops wear uniforms and badges. Police corruption cover up influences what airs on TV.

July 24 2010 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply