July 24, 2014

'The Good Guys' Says an Early Goodbye to Its Summer Season

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 22nd 2010 6:29PM
'The Good Guys'Maybe FOX is hoping absence will make the heart grow fonder. The network announced they'd be ending the summer run of freshman series 'The Good Guys' earlier than planned, according to The Futon Critic. 'The Good Guys' will wrap its current season Monday, August 2. New episodes were originally slated to run until August 23.

Presumably, the skipped episodes will be incorporated into the upcoming fall season, though there's been no official word. While Monday, August 9 will be consumed by the 'Teen Choice 2010' special, August 16 will see 'Lie to Me' shift back an hour to 'The Good Guys' current 9 PM ET slot, with 'House' settling back into its Mondays at 8 PM ET anchor position.

'The Good Guys' has been stable the past few weeks in the ratings, but is off 1.4 million viewers from its premiere on May 19. With a paltry 1.1 rating in the demo and 3.58 million viewers last week, the series needs to reverse its downward trend in the fall. It will return with repeats on Friday, September 3, with its fall lead-in 'Human Target,' in anticipation of their season premieres Friday, September 24.

JTM

uh oh...fantastic show with a great ensemble cast, clever writing and unconventional aesthetic, shown out of order and pulled off the air arbitrarily for reruns of an inferior show...i've been here before. please, Fox, do not Firefly this show. i only have so many tears to cry...

August 03 2010 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JTM

right, exactly like those shows...except well written, well acted and well directed. but other than those minor things, EXACTLY like those shows...

August 03 2010 at 5:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JTM's comment
JTM

sorry, that was meant to be a response to kat.

August 03 2010 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JeanieQ

What a shame, this show rocks. I tevo it and watch it a second time when my daughter comes over. It's hysterical. It's amazing that good shows are canceled and crap like "so you think you can dance" stays on. And the other stations are even worse. Monday nights is the only night I watch Fox, except for the Simpson and Son's of Tuscon.

July 26 2010 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sylvia

This is the BEST show on TV, what the heck is wrong with FOX?? Please don't take this great show away from us!!!

July 25 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LA

That sucks! This show is a breath of fresh air. Bradley Whitford is so funny and I really enjoy watching him and Colin Hanks playing off one another. Anyone who thinks that it sucks just doesnt have a sense of humor and ought to stop taking themselves so seriously! TV was meant to be entertaining and this show IS that!

July 25 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I hope they keep it on. This show is funny and I think Hanks as the straight laced guy with Whitford as the cop from the 80's is hillarious. Brad just needed something to sink his acting skill into after WW and this is definitely it! Ratings are all Fox's fault, you cannot shoot out of order and air out of order and run the pilot for 3 weeks without hurting the show's "brand". Clean up your act Fox - some people are trying to watch your network and you're making it difficult...

July 25 2010 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kat

I made it through the first 10 minutes of this show and had to be resusitated!! It was awful, gag filled (and gag causing), and ridiculous! Obviously they were trying to be witty like Psych or White Collar but fell woefully short! Take it off and bury it!

July 25 2010 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I would LOVE IT if it didn't come back!! I hate this show. It is insulting to the intelligence of anyone with a brain and ......... can you say LAME ? ? I have yet to hear just ONE funny punchline. All I think when I see this show is... WOW... how stupid do they think their audience is?

UGH!!!!!!! TAKE IT OFF!@!!

July 25 2010 at 6:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
JTM

try taking the mute button off. easier to hear the punchlines that way.

August 03 2010 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

What? fox possibly going to dump a good scripted show??? You've got to be kidding me, just never saw that happening in a million years....

This is one of the few I'll spend time and watch online if I happen to miss it as was the case when the Closer started back up last week. completely forgot it was on so went and hit hulu up to watch it.

July 23 2010 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picviewer's comment
JeanieQ

I remember the days when Fox had all good shows and I never watched any other network. Now when they get a good show, they cancel it.

July 26 2010 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I didn't care too much for the pilot, but stuck with it because there just isn't enough new TV in the Summer. It's been growing on me slowly, but pulling it early and bringing it back in repeats later sounds like a prelude to, as Christopher put it, getting Foxed.

July 22 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply