April 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Johnny Carson 'Banned' Joan Rivers from Late-Night TV (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Jul 23rd 2010 5:50AM
Joan Rivers Talks About Johnny Carson on 'Late Night'Joan Rivers brought her late husband's ashes to the 'Late Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS). "We were banned [from late-night TV] for so long, so I like to say, 'Look, we're back.'"

Technically she wasn't banned, but she got on Johnny Carson's blacklist. Years ago she was the permanent guest hostess who filled in for Carson on 'The Tonight Show.'

When she told him she was leaving to do her own (competing) show, "He slammed the phone down ... and never spoke to me again -- ever, ever, ever."

She hasn't been booked on the program since.

DID JOHNNY TREAT JOAN FAIRLY? TELL US ON FACEBOOK!

fagay530

Leave Ms rivers alone. Out spoken and a republician I understand.But always smart self suffiant and hard working gal. I am a dem but in her case(I will cross over party lines) I am in total awe os she is a risk taker 2 speak truth about Ms palian (sorry if I misspelled). But joan has a Gay following as cher and if she should live another 20 yrs will always be adored in this life and after. As far as her surguries she looks Fab. I am a psycho therapist who has been in MH field since Aids and now have private pt.s and workin forensics. I am very out spoken (openly Gay and work at Rikers as psycho therapist part time for benefits. My new calling is US ARMY MED division(PTSD is my speciality) I will be a Major. I actually left a position with VA hosp as PTSD cl and housing specialist as my partner was not covered under the fed med package. He has cardiac issues tests meds lots of $. Yet after 28 yrs we R splitin up. Moving on dividing the assests. I have my education and preservsed face and body (gym/fit) no drugs etc.. Life goes on "the beat goes on" (Sonny and Cher) . If u can help me hook up with Ms Rivers I would lke info. I worked with one of her late 80's early 90 hairdressor who revamped her look $ her talk show. He died of an AIDS related ilness PML at nyc roosevelt hospital. I am not star struck but have a lot in common with Joan, I to had numerous surgries and Sidney Coleman Fat trans plant in face as I had no body fat(in late 30 's) . Did a lot of print work in 20's /model. Payed rent stabalized apt in ABC's in lower M'hattan. Then grad school and conformity. Any pointers on how to hook up with MS RiversI have recent pictures. Most of all respect her as she speaks her mind. (Sorry no spell check avail) Frederick Andrew Gay LCSW-R Forest Hills NY cell 6466002587. or home number 718-263 2164

FAGAY530@aol

January 20 2011 at 3:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TONY

Johnny Carson was GREAT AT WHAT HE DID on the show...but he was not a very nice man...If she had a chance to get her OWN show...instead of waiting for his highness to retire or drop dead....WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THAT...Was she supposed to kiss his ring and ask permission to advance her future...He was pissed because HER SHOW WAS ON OPPOSITE HIS AND HIS EGO was not going to let her get even one viewer from him...The relationships he had with 3 wives and all of his sons is enough for me to believe the man was an OVER RATED ASSHOLE...WHO WANTED EVERYTHING HIS WAY OR NO WAY....

July 30 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hartfordmwm

I take offense at the notion if you dont like a certain group of people that you are sick,twisted and need help.
There ARE things that SHOULD be shunned/discriminated against.Sometimes those things are walking around.
My view is the less discriminateing we have become,the worse our living enviroment becomes.
There is nothing wrong with having standards.
Far more dangerous is a society that continually lowers the bar for those who cant/dont/wont keep up and making THEIR bar the standard.

July 29 2010 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat

Thank god he never killed anyone all those times he tooled around Hollywood drunk as a skunk. Some idol you idiots have!

July 28 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicvod

Wish Johnny was still around so maybe we wouldn't see this obnoxious woman on late night still!

July 27 2010 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tripp

I liked Johnny Carson...late night is not the same without him... but he could be a big ass.

July 24 2010 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I love Joan. She tells it like it is and isn't afraid to expose all her "warts." By all accounts I've read, Johnny Carson was a self-important asshole. By the way, their falling out was a rift, not riff. The intro to The Temptations' "My Girl" is a guitar riff, the most famous in Rock 'N Roll history.

July 24 2010 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve P

Teri Wrote: Here you have the voice of the Republican party--obsessed, bitter, crude.

Off base,Terri. I am something you would probably consider far worse than even a Republican - I am an independent, political conservative. And I found Nick's comments every bit as gross and offensive as you did. I know oodles of Republicans and multitudes of "right-wingers" like myself - and I don't know one who speaks that way.

July 23 2010 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Red Sam Rackham

Johnny's dead! Get over it, Joan! It's ancient history ...

July 23 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Danley

I wish someone would ban her from daytime & Nighttime t.v... she is such an annoying biotch !

July 23 2010 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply