August 29, 2014

'The Talk' Vs. 'The View': Will CBS Recapture Daytime? - TCA Report

by Laura Prudom, posted Jul 28th 2010 7:00PM
The Talk - CBS
Move over, screechy ladies of 'The View' -- there's a new talk show in daytime. CBS used their TCA presentation to unveil the imaginatively titled 'The Talk,' a show dedicated to discussing "news, pop culture, mom culture and our culture," according to the preview presentation.

CBS mega-host Julie Chen and executive producer/actress Sara Gilbert will be joined by Sharon Osbourne, Holly Robinson Peete, Leah Remini and Marissa Jaret Winokur on the show, which they insist will not just be a 'View' clone, comparing the similarity to that of Leno and Letterman "it's just another talk show format," Gilbert pointed out.

The concept was Gilbert's, born from her questions and confusion as a new mother. "This came from an organic place for me -- I was feeling overwhelmed; I started going to this mom group and thought, 'Wow, people need this kind of support'," she explained.

The appeal of the hosting gig was obvious for these women, they wanted a forum where they could get together and talk about whatever interested them, as well as getting advice from their friends and helping to inform their audience at the same time. "I feel comfortable here with these women, with CBS," Remini said. "We're all moms, we all have relationships, we all have the same trials and tribulations that relationships go through; we as moms learn from each other by talking to each other."

The panel obviously didn't yield much in the way of "spoilers," but some fun anecdotes did emerge:

-- When asked about whether she would discuss her sexuality on the show, Gilbert was nonchalant. "I don't think of things as "out" or "in" and if topics come up as appropriate I'll discuss them," she shrugged.

-- Later, a journalist asked Remini what bearing her belief in Scientology would have on the show, "None at all," she answered definitively. "My job is my job, I love to make people laugh. That other thing [religion] is something that's not even part of my discussion." Gilbert added, "I think it's really dangerous to only look at people through one lens ... Leah has a lot of parts to her, and that's what she'll bring to the show."

-- On what their families think of the job, Osbourne gave the best answer of the panel: "My husband doesn't even know I'm doing this show and my kids don't give a sh*t!"

-- As far as scheduling goes, Chen, Gilbert, Osbourne, Robinson Peete and Remini will be full-time hosts, while Jaret Winokur will be out in the field and come in to report on certain segments.

-- Unlike 'The View,' the 'Talk' ladies promise that they don't talk over each other too much, Gilbert insists that they might interrupt, but they won't "stampede" over each other.

-- Someone strangely suggested that Osbourne would be the most conservative of all viewpoints on the panel; she responded, "No, I'm very liberal with my views, I'm very tolerant. But I'm not running for mayor, so I don't care what people think of my point of view."

Will you be watching 'The Talk,' daytime fans?

Terri Skiver

ladies at the talk, i love you show, but have to pick a little on today's show. you were talking about the question of the president's birth certificate and how horrible it was for people to want to see it and went on to feel sorry for anyone putting him through that. well how many times did people say terrible lies about President Bush? to many times to count on one hand and he started this mission to kill osama and also killed the other "mr. evil" saddam! one last thing, these presidents are just the commanders. here in the united states not where the action is. it is our service men and women who actually carried and did the job!!! they deserve ALL the credit!

May 02 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puptrainer

The View is a train wreck. I have always thought that. I would tune in from time to time because they might have a guest on of some interest, but have never been able to watch a complete show because of the bickering and the one-sidedness of the women hosting it. They come across as arrogant and full of self importance and just so incredibly rude and obnoxious with Joy Behar being the absolute worst. Sometimes I really have to wonder about her......she is a very mean-spirited and hateful person. SO ANGRY and angry looking too. I actually watched her show this week because I wanted to see if she would try that tactic with Malania Trump. I have to say that it's the first time I ever saw Joy Behar almost act as if she had some manners. I do watch The Talk and enjoy it. I have only one small complaint and that is about Sarah Gilbert using the word "like" constantly. It's unbelievably annoying and someone her age should know better. I ask myself if these people ever record a show and watch it when they go home and my answer comes up "apparently not" because there is no way she could hear herself saying "like" over and over and over and not make an attempt to stop it. She's very nice though and the other ladies are as well. I guess Leah is sort of the Behar of The Talk, but she is funny and isn't attacking people on a personal level.

April 22 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dominique LaRue

I like the talk better because they actually seem like they like each other lol

April 06 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARY

Hello Ladies you kick the views butt all thaat bickering my name is Mary not te one who does not like Leah I love her and all the ladies LEAH is a girls friend so I am Mary who loves this show....you all come out waving like you care about your audience. Unlike woopi who would not wave oh no my she would ot feel superior. AND YOU LADIES DO NOT APPEAR TO BE SNOT NOSE AFTER ALL WE ARE ALL JUST PEOPLE....keep up the good work be friendly because without fans where would you be....LEAH I WAS MOLESTED BY MY FATHER and no i dont think this jerk should getout of jail because they do not stop....LOVE YOUR SHOW SO FROM TENNESSEE I SEE FRIENDSHIP......SHARON U ARE GREAT AND JULIE AWESOME SARA SUPER HOLLY GREAT JOB

March 10 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cookiemomme

The question: Will I be watching the talk, Daytime fans? The Answer : YES! I am watching and will be watching. I absolutely love The talk and the combination of the ladies. I love the fact that they can have conversations, even with controversy, but are able to have the full conversation without yelling over one another. I think they ROCK the day time talk shows. The View could take a lessen from the Talk ladies. I'm sick of the steriotypical idea that women cannot have conversations together without becoming rude and angry. The Talk ladies rise above that scenaro. Keep up the GREAT work ladies!

March 01 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

I love The Talk!!! I only started watching it acouple of weeks ago. I have been laid up from work and started watching. I'll be going back to work and I will be DVRing it. Don't chance anything. I love all the ladies,some of them say just what I'm thinking. YOU GO GIRLS!!!!

December 29 2010 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Really enjoy the show....however not Osbourne. She is too arrogant and what a cheap-skate. Don't see her volunteering to give up her money but wants the major corporations (that she dogs on on) to 'common, give more' like she did to K-Mart the other day. Leave the politics out of it 'Missy'.

December 23 2010 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dee

i live in canada so i know i dont qualify for the gifts but if i did i would see if you could help me im a mother with a broken heart

December 17 2010 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dee

just today i thought i take a peek in on the view barbra said they dont fight and poof the whole table started fighting its sicking im so glad we have the talk its refreshing and they get involved with the viewers and aduance and great ppls and stars on there the sure care not like the view elizabeth the mouth piece ruined that show

December 17 2010 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dee

wow i wish i lived closer,,you guys are so great and realy we needed you so bad and the show perfect ,,you dont fight among your selfs like the view you dont dress trashy like elizabeth on the view and its not all politics you get in volved with the crowd and the viewers idf i was closer i sure wish you help me but im not so i can just finaly enjoy your show please keep it up

December 17 2010 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply