December 20, 2014

Ellen DeGeneres Quits 'American Idol'

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 29th 2010 9:10PM
Ellen DeGeneresThere had been speculation running around the press tour crowd that, not only will FOX announce who was going to take the place of Simon Cowell on 'American Idol' when the network presents on August 2, but that there would be more than one name announced.

Why? Because Simon wasn't the only one leaving. Ellen DeGeneres has also decided to leave the show, sending a statement confirming the rumors that had been swirling for a while.

"A couple months ago, I let Fox and the 'American Idol' producers know that this didn't feel like the right fit for me," she said in the statement. "I told them I wouldn't leave them in a bind and that I would hold off on doing anything until they were able to figure out where they wanted to take the panel next. It was a difficult decision to make, but my work schedule became more than I bargained for. "

She also acknowledged the weakness that everyone saw from her last season: her inability to give criticism. "I also realized this season that while I love discovering, supporting and nurturing young talent, it was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings. I loved the experience working on 'Idol' and I am very grateful for the year I had. I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to be."

Maybe she had to go through a season to figure that out, but you have to wonder why she even signed on to the gig if she knew that critiquing wasn't in her nature. She was a judge, not a coach; she didn't need to be as harsh as Simon, but she did need to tell the contestants where they stood. Even Paula Abdul, while couching her criticisms in mystical, run-infused gobbledygook, took a critical stance when she needed to.

So this leaves two spots open. But with Kara DioGuardi's contract up, rumblings that Randy Jackson wants to leave, and the rumored desire of returning producer Nigel Lythgoe to clean house, Fox may be presenting an entirely new judging panel on Monday. Stay tuned.

tom

great news. now that HELLen DEGENERATE is gone. maybe just maybe i will watch again. depending on whom they get as judges. i didnt watch one showing of american idol last year. i dont condon having her and her/its type of people on MY television. they should have their own show where there kind can watch and not impose there vile chosen lifestyle on us normal people. nuff said....if you dont stand for something you will fall for anything.

August 02 2010 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe pardo

THANK GOD SHE IS GONE...YOU CAN NOW TAKE ME OFF SUICIDE WATCH...I STOP WATCHING THE SHOW BECAUSE OF HER AFTER YEARS OF BEING A LOYAL FAN...

August 01 2010 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristine

Perhaps Mariah Carey or Janet Jackson should become judges for American Idol.

August 01 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SickofMichael

Get better singers and no dumb judges like Abdul, J. Simpson, J. Lopez, etc. Dumb is not good - even though the RepubLie-KKK-CON party seems to think so.

August 01 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SickofMichael

Ellen was great on AI but it drained her energy for her own show. Idol needs to have ONLY 3 judges. Randy, Kara and Brett Michaels. The show will never be very good if they don't get BETTER SINGERS. Every season they have 12 people - 10 high school talent show contestants who do karoke and 2 that are good enough for the show. Less talking on the show, please. I hate their fake personality, all smiles bios which includes every illness anyone in their family has had and the awful group commercials and group songs! Just let good singers sing and the show will be worth watching. That is what SYTYCD did this season. They lost the annoying judge (Mary Murphy) and got 10 excellent dancers to compete. It worked VERY WEll. Idol needs to do the same. After the last 2 dismal winners - Idol needs to seriously re-think the lack of talent they allow on the show.

August 01 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
w b

I missed the whole season because she was on it.
How can anyone be a judge that is not a singer?

August 01 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duddly

And AOL sucks too, AOL wants to play God and stop everyone from speaking their minds. If they had their way we couldn't say anything on any site.

August 01 2010 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duddly

Ah ha.......you suck.

August 01 2010 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duddly

Oh well.......nobody cares and good riddens to you!

August 01 2010 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pinkrosebuds

I am glad to see her leave, the show is losing ground, and she really didn't give anything to it, it will definatley be gone now that Simon has left.

July 31 2010 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply