April 24, 2014

Jeff Goldblum Leaves 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent'

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 3rd 2010 5:35PM
Jeff GoldblumJeff Goldblum, the star of USA's 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent,' is leaving the series after two years.

According to Variety, this is not a negotiating tactic; Goldblum has made up his mind. Variety reported that Goldblum's' decision to leave stemmed from "uncertainty" surrounding the show's future.

'Law and Order: CI' underwent a major cast change earlier this season when Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogosian left the series and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Saffron Burrows joined the cast.

Goldblum used to alternate episodes with D'Onofrio's character, stepping in for Chris Noth in season 8 of the show. After D'Onofrio's exit early in season 9, Goldblum shouldered the full episode load.

The series aired its season 9 finale on July 6, it was seen by 3.05 million viewers to date. USA Network has not made any announcement on its future.

Tell us: Are you sad to see Goldblum leave 'Law and Order: CI'?

Michael

GREAT news, Jeff Goldblum was not right for this part and I'm being VERY kind. Vincent D'onorio and Catheryn Erbe ARE . The first few times I watched Law & Order Criminal Intent I thought that Vincent was over acting but as I came to understand his character I wouldn't have it any other way. Catherine Elbe does an outstanding job and mixes well with Vincent., But Jeff Goldblum just stinks up the place, sorry Jeff I've seen you in parts I liked , ,but not this one. If I see his name in the credits I look for something else to watch. This was a poor job of casting !

November 26 2013 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jqrus

Darn, I only started watching if because of Jeff Goldblum. I kept thinking they would start show episodes with him in it. Now I'll cancel my recording of this show. I'll have to check around and see if he turns up somewhere else on TV.

June 13 2011 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suji

I'm glad to see Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathrine Erby back on the show, but I am sorry to see Jeff Goldblum leave. I really enjoyed his character on the show as well as Saffron Burrows. I wish they could go back to alternating shows again. Oh well.

May 13 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Dough

I want them both on the same show. Alternating weeks.. C.I_1 and CI_2 running in parallel fringe universes.

May 10 2011 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

It is all about Vincent D'Onofrio. Law and Order: Criminal Intent bombed after his departure. Thank God they have brought him back, I will start watching it again. I love Jeff Goldblum as an actor, but his character choices on LOCI were not very interesting to watch. I am so excited for the new season

April 27 2011 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Jones

Oh no, I never missed an episode with Vincent D'Onofrio but I think Jeff Goldblum was an excellent replacement. I like that his character was always under control but still got the info he wanted from the criminal in the end. Sad to see him go.

September 11 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey Claybon

I hate to say it, but the handwriting was on the wall for the demise of LOCI when they announced that not only was VDO leaving - but the powers that be also decided to take a hatchet to the cast as a whole, and "revamp" the series. The quality of the writing has gone down steadily since Rene Balcer left, and although I respect Jeff Goldblum and his work, I lost all interest in the SHOW after watching Loyalty... I'd think that with all the viewers warning that we likely wouldn't watch with the "changes" that were planned in the show despite STRONG protests - that we'd be listened to.

As far as I'm concerned, LOCI ended with Loyalty. I just couldn't watch after that. I did and do still support Mr Goldblum - and would have still been watching if the a and b team concept had continued, or even if Eames had partnered Nichols - if some continuity was kept from the previous incarnations of the show. I even would have watched *another LO show* with Mr. Goldblum in it.

LOCI lost it's character with the end of Loyalty to me, and I had no interest in watching it afterward. I know I wasn't the only one. I don't blame Mr. Goldblum - he was just the fall guy here, and NOT the person in charge of the stupid decision.

The producers REALLY should have seen this coming. Period. You don't thumb your nose at your fans and keep them watching.

August 30 2010 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy McKeon

I am sick. Jeff has been doing such a great job and I just love him and the new cast. Change is change but you have to accept it. Please Jeff think this over.

August 16 2010 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susan

OMG - I love him in everything - so sad he is leaving - he is so good...

August 13 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peaches

I loved Vincent on the show and no one else would do. I like Jeff but Vincent was the show. Miss him. I watch Vincent in reruns.

August 10 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply