October 25, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Adam Shankman Makes a Gay Marriage Proposal to Nigel Lythgoe (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Aug 4th 2010 11:35PM
Adam Shankman Makes a Gay Marriage Proposal to Nigel LythgoeWell, today is the day. Today is the day that Proposition 8 was legally overturned. In case you haven't been paying attention, Proposition 8 was an amendment that forbade gay couples from getting married in the state of California. And now, it's gone.

In order to celebrate this event, 'So You Think You Can Dance' judge Adam Shankman decided to propose to his fellow judge Nigel Lythgoe. Oh, nice! Gutsy! But will Adam's wedding pitch actually work out?

We wouldn't call 'So You Think You Can Dance' a "gay" show (not that it would matter if it was). ... But it is, at least, fairly flamboyant. On the current episode (Wed., 8PM ET on Fox), the judges got pretty hot and bothered following Lauren's sexy performance with fellow dancer Pasha. "My eyes steamed up," Nigel said, after witnessing their routine. He seemed so aroused that he confessed to wanting to tango with male partner Pasha: "My god! I wanted to dance with you!"

Then, Adam decided to jokingly segue from that remark, by asking Nigel to join him in a gay wedding. "I would like to ... ask my colleague and friend Nigel Lythgoe to marry me."

Nigel said he would think about it. "Normally, [I'd] say 'No,'' he replied. "But I've been a bit lonely lately ..."

Jan

bigboeingboy717, posted Aug 6th 2010
Bunny-

I do agree that God created everyone and everything. But to say that God created people to be gay? Gay people are born that way? It's not a choice? Can you cite scientific studies that prove or refute your statements?

Big Boy thousands of young gay kids commit suicide every year because they cannot understand why they feel this way...I have spoken to many gay people who have told me that if they could have been born hetro they would have been thrilled but they weren't. Their sexuality is programed at birth. that is why gay little boys generally dont act like little boys and gay little girls generally act more like boys. While this is an generalization because we all know a really masculine man with no effeminate traits who is gay and also0 very feminine women who one would never know are gay---- it is usually true. Also scientists have located something in the DNA of gay people, something genetic that makes them different from us sexually. Whatever it is..We are all children of the universe.

August 06 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jan's comment
Robert Hagedorn

The exegesis for the 2nd and 3rd chapters of Genesis is for adults and makes us nervous. Why? Because the sin committed by Adam and Steve was anal sex--the mystery Saint Augustine almost solved 1600 years ago. (He thought the sin was normal penile/vaginal sex!) For more information google my last name followed by Scandal.

August 09 2010 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mossy

beautifully said, thank you and I believe lots of people probably feel exactly the same way, I do. Wrong venue, for such talk and what you believe in the way of gay or not is each individuals to believe but like me, yes I believe that marriage is REALLY between a man and a woman...like you said God made Adam and Eve...NOT Adam and Steve, with that said we all are accountable for our own actions and the day of recogning will come....not saying im right and they are wrong or vice versa but one day we all will know what the real deal is. God bless all!

August 05 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mossy

I dont know but I'm guessing that peeps are forgetting this is a family show aired at 8pm et....I dont think that the talk and the proposal was acceptable for this show...and Adam has spoken a little bit too freely lately on this show. I get it was all in jest and Adam probably wanted to make a statement in a way...but not on this show at this time, just not approriate.

August 05 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LORI

I SEE NOTHING WRONG AS TO WHAT WAS SAID ON LAST EVENINGS SHOW. THIS IS SOMETHING THE GAY COMMUNITY HAS BEEN FIGHTING FOR. WHY SHOULDN'T THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

August 05 2010 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

To the poster who said that G-d created Adam and Eve..not Adam and Steve. I beg to differ. If one belives in creation--one would believe that the Almighty created everything. Gay people are born that way. It is inherent and not a choice. There are many imperfections in all of created life.from the animal kingdom to the environment. Let our gay brothers and sisters be happy; have love and joy in their lives; and allow them to have all the rights t hat we enjoy.

August 05 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jan's comment
bigboeingboy717

Bunny-

August 06 2010 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

Gay people have existed as long as there have been hetrosexual people. They are not going away. Their lifestyle does not affect any of us. They just want to love and be happy. Instead of trying to appeal this decision--these people should put their energy into solving the huge ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY. I fully support gay marriage. I am a senior and a grandmother.

August 05 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigboeingboy717

Love the sinner, hate the sin. That's Biblical teaching. My best friend is gay and I love him. He was my best man at my first wedding. A person's sexual interests have no bearing on my like or dislike of a person, or their merit as a human being. That said... I'm a Christian man. I believe that God created marriage for a man and a woman. That's how we were created. He didn't create Adam and Evan. It was Adam and Eve. Gay marriage has become a political platform more than anything else. I don't care if you live together, love together, adopt a child, have health insurance, etc... but marriage is another story. When two men or two women marry each other, it's not a real marriage. Sure, it may be legal in the scheme of man-made law. But it's not within the construct of God's law. Whether you're Christian or not, Gay or Hetero, Believer or Athiest... it makes no difference. You don't have to believe something in order for it to be the truth. When gay people marry, it makes a mockery of God and a traditional family structure. Fortunately, the gay people I know and love are mature and discretionary about their personal activities. My own cousin is gay and her partner is a Presbyterian minister... figure that one out! It's not my place to judge, and I won't. But I know the truth of what I believe. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I was personally put off by Adam's comments last night. It wasn't appropriate to make a political statement in that venue.

August 05 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bigboeingboy717's comment
dejonna

what ii dont understand is why iits such a big deal to some STRAIGHT ppl for us LGBTs aliike to get married.What kind of right is it for one or more ppl to say marrriage between a man and woman is what is suppose to be or to even place their beliefs on a multitude of ppl,honestly why does iit matter to you heterosexuals so much?? iits our lives not yours.....we deserve tha riight to get married just liike the rest of the ppl in america or this world...and this is america so whatever adam shankman wants to say he can say if you dnt want to watch the show because of iit by all means go ahead iit would be your lost not his..... freedom of speech is a right for ppl smh...ii do respect opinions and everything of that sort but ii will say love has no boundaries...and if we as human beings stopped for a second and really took a step in another person shoes then maybe we will understand what it feels like to not be able to marry the one you love no matter what sex or race or even religion....really actually reverse the roles what if iit was us LGBTS Going against Heterosexuals marrying eachother iit wouldn't be okay would it? so tell me whats the difference between us and ya..what?.. man and woman? and were woman and woman or man and man ...please.. our hearts contain the same love just like anybody else no different so why deny us that riight? you can come up with a billion excuses some related to religion truth or matter is you should just let us live our lives love who we want and marry whom we desire to marry point blank period

August 05 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigboeingboy717

Dejonna-

You know? That's the wonderful thing about this country... We're all entitled to our own opinions, AND we're entitled to voice them. I wasn't "pushing" anything on anyone, merely sharing my opinion. If you don't like that, it's more your problem than mine.

August 06 2010 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAGOOS

The ingress of political implications did come into play on the show; not an ideal forum for ANY politics as it is an entertainment program, not a political one.
Nevertheless, gay Americans are still regarded by many as pariahs, a disgraceful state fuelled by religious and other bigots. Gay Americans continue to fight to get the same constitutional rights and benefits as we hetros have. I count some very talented and human gay people among my friends; it angers me to think they are despised because they were born with a difference. BTW, that difference extends to extremely creative talent, a respect for humanity and a love of their country. Several of my gay friends served our nation in Vietnam and ensueing wars. One has medals for saving the lives of his comrades during the Tet offensive.

August 05 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Adam, I adore you as a judge. Your comments are usually thoughtful and constructive. But a family-oriented dance show is no place to make political statements. The issue is far more complicated than your flip comments suggest. It involves deeply held religious convictions, millennia-aged tradition and social constructs, and yes, as Pamela noted, political implications.

August 05 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lrodfiggy

I feel the gal proposal was out of line.

August 05 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply