Powered by i.TV
August 31, 2015

DVRs Give 'The Office,' 'Big Bang Theory' Extra Laugh Tracks

by Chris Jordan, posted Aug 4th 2010 8:56PM
Sitcoms 'The Office' and 'The Big Bang Theory' are must-see TV -- at least in any given seven-day period, thanks to DVR use, according to a report at The Wrap.

'The Office' had the highest percentage of its audience watching via DVR, 36.1 percent or 3.2 million viewers, during the 2009-10 season. 'The Big Bang Theory's' time-shifted audience has grown 230 percent since the 2007-08 season to 2.04 million viewers, which translates to 19.7 percent watching in time-shifted mode last season. That's compared to 869,000 viewers (10.3 percent) in '07-'08.

Fox's 'American Idol' is the most eyeballed show overall, with 5.6 million viewers watching the performance show on DVR and 4.9 million viewing the results show in time-shifted mode.

Shows that have more than doubled DVR use since 2007-08 include CBS' 'NCIS,' '60 Minutes,' 'Rules of Engagement' and 'How I Met Your Mother,' ABC's 'The Bachelor,' Fox's 'Family Guy" and the CW's 'Gossip Girl.'

The data was produced by Brad Adgate of Horizon Media, who compared Nielsen's live ratings to live plus seven-day viewing statistics.

All types of programs -- sitcoms, dramas, reality shows -- are DVRed and a single genre does not necessarily stand out. What does seem to happen is that the medium age of viewers DVRing a program is lower than the medium age of the viewers of the live broadcast, according to a report on the Horizon data in MediaPost. The only show whose medium age skews higher with DVR use is the CW's 'Gossip Girl,' which has a 27.3-year-old average for live views and a 28.1-year-old average for live plus seven days, the report said. This would suggest that younger viewers are more apt to use DVRs. The MediaPost piece reports that CBS shows are not DVRed as much as the other networks' shows, perhaps due to the Eye's older viewership.

The spike in DVR usage correlates to the surge of DVR purchases. According to the Neilsen Co., 34 percent of homes in the United States have DVRs now as compared to 24 percent in 2009.

And the networks have begun factoring in DVR use when it comes to revenue.

"You know, we're now losing upwards of 25 percent of the saleable audience from our shows,'' said FX head John Landgraf at the Television Critics Association press tour in Los Angeles, according to the Huffington Post. "In other words, if you take a show on FX, we get paid, from an advertiser standpoint, typically now for about 75 percent of the people actually watching the show. The other 25 percent are, in fact, measurably watching the show, but not watching the commercials.''

What's in your DVR?

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

1 Comment

Filter by:
Joseph Singer

What about those of us who are still using a VCR? :)

August 05 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Follow Us

From Our Partners