November 28, 2014

Five Channels You've Probably Never Heard Of

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 5th 2010 2:00PM
Investigation Discovery It's hard to keep up with what's what in regards to TV networks. There are new channels launching left and right, getting renamed and even merging all the time.

Take a look through your program guide and there is probably at least one channel you've never watched/heard of. You're not alone.

I was excited to find out new programs were coming to Investigation Discovery and when I shared the news with some other TV Squadders, people said, "Huh? That's a channel?" Yes it is and I love it.

Did you know there's a whole channel just for babies? Of course. Check out the rest of the channels that we weren't too familiar with.

1. Investigation Discovery
Part of the Discovery family of networks, Investigation Discovery is home to many true crime shows. You can get your fill of '48 Hours' and 'Dateline' at almost any given hour, but the network is also home to shows such as 'Deranged,' 'Disappeared' and 'On the Case with Paula Zahn.' Caution: Watching some programs on this network while alone may make you paranoid.

2. Military Channel
Another Discovery channel, the Military Channel is home to -- yep, you guessed it -- all things military. The network has programs such as 'Future Weapons,' 'Warriors' and 'Hitler's Bodyguard.' For fans of the History Channel and heavy artillery.

3. Vs.
Formerly Outdoor Living Network -- hm, didn't know that existed either -- Versus (Vs.) is a home to all things sports, including games, competitions and original programming. Vs. also has a big hockey presence and a deal with the NHL, it aired nearly half of the Stanley Cup playoffs. In April it launched 'The Daily Line,' a panel-based talk show and in the fall it will launch a docudrama about XDL Sportbike Freestyle Championships.

4. BabyFirst TV
It's the first network just for babies, naturally. According to the network's Web site, it was developed by education experts and features no commercials. The channel has more than 80 programs ranging from 'Arty Party,' a program to encourage artistic endeavors, to 'I Can Sign,' show that teaches parents and babies American Sign Language.

5. Reelz Channel
Sure, it's only on DirecTV and Dish, but it's still strange. Reelz Channel has a whole show where it just shows movie trailers, but it's also home to 'Ally McBeal' and 'Newsradio.' Not sure how they fit into the network's tagline ("TV about movies"), but both are new classics, so why fight it?

Which little-known channels are you a fan of?

Randall Paske

Reelz isn't only on DirecTV and Dish--I get it on Time Warner Cable in KC. The only show I watch regularly is "Maltin on Movies."

August 11 2010 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

C'mon, everybody has heard of VS.
I love watching Newsradio on REELZ. They're very sloppy about the cute movie tie-ins that they sandwich the spot breaks with. They even spell Khandi Alexander's name wrong.

August 06 2010 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

$50 says they all show reruns of CSI and Roseanne just like every other cable channel.

August 05 2010 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Are you kidding? Except for certain shows on the broadcast channels, I watch Discovery ID ALL THE TIME. I'm recording constantly. I've been a true crime fan since Ann Rule wrote about Ted Bundy in 1980. Even though true crimes were shown from time to time over the years, I am delighted that Dateline and 20-20 have picked up the banner, and that ID fills the gap all the rest of the time.

And yes, I check all my doors and windows every night to make sure they are locked.

August 05 2010 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

I've heard of the Military channel, but have never seen it. As a Cablevision subscriber, if it weren't for the computer, I'd consider dropping cable entirely. We keep loosing channels and get nothing or just crap as a replacement. I'd love to see Cablevision go ala cart. About 2/3 of the channels would be gone in favor of something else.

August 05 2010 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

I'd only heard of Vs. but I like it, LoL.

August 05 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I love 4 four of them and watch them whenever I can. (I DO get a kick out of the fact that I.D. has "60 Minutes" on now, but it's only 30 minutes long!!)

The exception for me is "BabyFirstTV" since my "babies" are in their 40's and none of them have little ones, so I'll pass on that channel.

August 05 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

I think the Military Channel is the only one that Comcast does NOT carry in HD (at least in Seattle)

August 05 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply