November 22, 2014

Mary Hart to Leave 'Entertainment Tonight' After 30 Seasons

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 5th 2010 11:00AM
Mary HartUPDATE: According to TheWrap, Lara Spencer, host of 'The Insider,' has been tapped to replace Mary Hart on 'Entertainment Tonight.'

A tipster told the site that Spencer secured the gig several months ago as part of a contract negotiations.

According to Variety, Mary Hart, the longtime host of 'Entertainment Tonight,' is leaving the syndicated news program after her 30th season.

Hart has been on 'ET' since 1982. The show premiered in 1981.

"I've had the privilege of spending 29 years doing something I love -- how often does that happen?" Hart said in a statement. "I've had the support of a stupendous group of people starting with Linda Bell Blue, John Nogawski and many others who are so talented on our staff at 'ET.' I only meant to be at 'ET' for three years, suddenly it's almost 30. I've reached a point when I clearly realize it's time for a change."

"It will certainly be with mixed sentiments that I say 'goodbye' at the end of the season, but it will definitely be with a sense of celebration ... 30 years of 'Entertainment Tonight,' are you kidding me? That's an accomplishment and something I'm very proud of!" Hart said.

There's no official replacement set, according to CBS.

Who should replace Mary Hart?
Lara Spencer2621 (37.7%)
Samantha Harris2543 (36.6%)
Melissa Rycroft1289 (18.6%)
Other, tell us in the comments491 (7.1%)

Tell us: Are you sad to see Mary Hart leave 'ET'?

gdanjou

correction, I mush how' should have read I would like to know. thank you..

November 11 2010 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gdanjou

I too have stopped watching E.T. ever since john tesh left the show,, I did never under stand why people watch it,its so plastic and every body on set is ''just sooo happy''so much fluff,and very little else,sorry ,E.T. I'LL watch inside edition instead.but I mush how mary can be so happy all the time ,I wish I knew what she was on,,the only time I saw mary hart was in 1986 in vancouver ,canada, she was touring a new public market, well at least the market is still there,

November 11 2010 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cow1129

HA... Mary Hart is hardly on ET anymore anyway... The show has become to much of a tabloid show. It is not what it used to be. Samantha Harris does great filling in for Mary.

August 05 2010 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I LOVED Mary Hart on ET. It's hard to image ET without her. I think Marie Osmond would make a GREAT ET news host, but if you cannot get Marie, go for who else....BETTY WHITE!!

August 05 2010 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cjerseygirl

Guiliana Rancic. She needs to be on primetime.

August 05 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cjerseygirl's comment
Ben

Guiliana Rancic would be a great host for ET she is do to go to primetime as you said. I also think Maria from Access Hollywood would also be a good host as well.

August 08 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tanya

I think Maeve Quinlan should replace Mary Hart

August 05 2010 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon the Moonspinner

Mary Hart took the place of Dixie Whatley, who later went on to co-host "Sneak Previews", the show that originally starred Siskel & Ebert! What ever happened to Dixie?

August 05 2010 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gary

i remember her when she used to cohost a show in okc with danny williams called dannys day.

August 05 2010 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marilyn

Hopefully Samantha Harris will go back to Dancing with the Stars. Brooke has to go

August 05 2010 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

If Mary was so horrible how did she last this long. I have never ever heard so many negative messages about a host..wow

August 05 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply