November 20, 2014

Is CBS's 'Blue Bloods' in Trouble?

by Chris Jordan, posted Aug 6th 2010 4:15PM
There's lots of drama concerning the new CBS policer 'Blue Bloods,' but unfortunately it's not happening in front of the camera.

Executive producer Ken Sanzel has exited the show due to creative differences with star Tom Selleck, according to a report on Deadline. Selleck, who plays the New York City police chief (or commissioner -- more on that later), had been rejecting scripts produced by Sanzel. The report suggests that Sanzel's intent was to have the show go in a more procedural direction when Selleck wanted it to focus more on character development.

Sanzel, a former 'Numb3rs' exec producer and an ex-New York City cop, was brought in after the pilot was made.

"He was reluctant to do it. And Selleck was not crazy to have Ken imposed on him. But Ken was doing the network bidding thanklessly," said a source to Deadline. Now, it appears that CBS is looking for a replacement who will be to Selleck's liking. Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green, the husband-and-wife team perhaps best known for their work on 'The Sopranos,' created 'Blue Bloods' and are still involved.

'Blue Bloods' stars Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Bridget Moynahan, Will Estes and Len Cariou as three generations of a family connected professionally by the New York City police department. The departure of Sanzel is not the only cast and crew change. Andrea Roth of 'Rescue Me' fame has been brought in as the Selleck character's love interest. That role was held by Wendy Moniz in the pilot, who was dropped for creative reasons.

A sign that 'Blue Bloods' will veer more toward character development and less toward an accurate procedural is Selleck's Frank Reagan position as a chief. In New York City, a civilian commissioner heads the force, not a uniformed officer. Selleck's Reagan is often shown in uniform.

'Blue Bloods,' which debuts Sept. 24, will air Fridays at 10PM.

dolfingirl

I agree with Tom Selleck. I want a cop show with character development instead of all the procedural stuff. It's great when they combine those elements, hopefully this show will do that along with more character development too. I too was hoping for a Jesse Stone series. I for one will watch this show regardless of all the drama behind the scenes! Keep ip the great work Mr. Tom Selleck! :)

August 10 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Since this replaces Numb3rs, there is no way I'll watch it! Numb3rs and Krumholtz fan here.

August 08 2010 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sharon's comment
Gail

It isn't like CBS cancelled Numb3rs for the purpose of putting this show in. Numb3rs was a goner no matter what. I was a huge Numb3rs fan and I'm pleased to see another crime drama/family drama hybrid.

May 01 2011 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

Tell "T.S." to get rid of the Uniform! He's a Civilian Commissioner!

August 08 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

What time slot has it been given? People talk like it's Friday night?

August 08 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomD

Um, while a civilian commissioner is the top guy in NYPD, there is a position called "Chief of the Department" which is a four star rank and who actually runs the day to day operations of NYPD. So no, they didn't screw up at all. The writer of this article is the one who needs to get the facts straight.

August 08 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacD

I always loved Tom, but he has to remember he is ONLY a part of the team, and they have to share in all to make the show successful. So Tom , common get it together making all roles equally valuable. Remember the chains is only as strong as the weakest link.

August 08 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcia

I like all of Tom Selleck's movies. He is right, develop character roles. I don't think he meant to disregard procedure altogether, but wanted more character development - and he is right. Character development is what will set the show apart from other police shows. And yes, GW was on too long. Every episode was the same. If I never see another teary eye from her it will be too soon.

August 08 2010 at 1:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marcia's comment
Ben

Your wrong that Ghost Whisperer was on for too long and it was never the same every week which is a lie. Medium now that show has been on way too long and needed to end a couple of years ago and it has never been a ratings power house unlike Ghost Whisperer which beat medium in the ratings week after week and that is a fact. Jennifer Love Hewitt is pretty & beautiful and is a great actress.

August 08 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csm

I'm looking forward to the show. I've been a fan of Tom Selleck's for years. Loved his recent Jesse Stone series of movies. Hope this new show is good.

August 08 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to csm's comment
wescar353

I really wanted to see a series made for Jesse Stone. I loved those movies and think Tom Selleck was great in that role.

August 08 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M.A.Korman

I am looking forward to watching a good drama instead of the usual insipid shows now on most networks.
I am also very happy that unattractive intalented Wendy Moniz has been replaced. She was ugly and annoying on Guiding Light years ago and has not inproved in either category over the years.

August 08 2010 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce Williams

My money is on Whalberg and Moynahan to make a good showing too. Tom will draw on his solid fan base.

August 08 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply