November 22, 2014

TLC Orders Polygamist Reality Show

by Chris Jordan, posted Aug 6th 2010 2:20PM
There are plenty of reality shows about families with lots of kids -- now here's one about a family with lots of wives.

Viewers can learn all about a real-life polygamist family next month on TLC's 'Sister Wives,' the channel has announced. A seven-episode run, starting Sun., Sept. 26, explores the world of Kody Brown, a Utah resident who has three wives and 13 children. Much of the plot of 'Sister Wives' focuses on Brown's courting of a potential fourth wife, who has three kids herself, according to a TLC press release.

"'Sister Wives' also captures the intense dynamics surrounding a man juggling three wives while attempting to keep it a secret from the outside world,'' TLC wrote in the release.

Though a reality show, 'Sister Wives' mirrors the plot of HBO's hit 'Big Love,' which essentially depicts a fictional polygamist in Utah juggling his three wives while attempting to keep it a secret from the outside world.

Brown and his family are striving to be more open about their lifestyle and are "looking for understanding," said TLC president Eileen O'Neill in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. The Brown family was profiled by the BBC in March of 2009.

The show is being produced by Figure 8 Films, the folks behind the 'Jon & Kate Plus 8' franchise.

Mina

Wow so much hate its unbelievable!!!! I am struck by these posts of self righteous people on here especially the Christian ones....”Oh I m a good Christian so I condom everyone who does not go to the same church as me dresses the same as me or lives the same life style as me”. These people where the same people who judged gays so harshly back in the '80s. Now of course its cool and they are for the most part accepted, but not polygamist. These good Christians on here have judged and condemned the gay community and probably every other community they disagree with because after all in their opinion everyone but them is going to hell. Sure, lets all forget what Jesus said Judge not lest ye be judged, or “let he who is with out sin cast the first stone”. Yeah lets forget about Jesus, hate is so much better. I know what some of you will say “well its against the law”. Well laws come and go and some are immoral, like the Jim Crow laws or having to wear a star of David on your clothes saying Juden. I m sure these people that tried to go against these laws where bad people right? Or was it that laws can be wrong and discriminating? Look what they did to poor Oscar Wilde in England because he became gay, they put him in jail for it, it ruined his health! But let me guess good Christians on here like Sumergirl1076790
or Faith would hole heatedly agree Oscar Wilde got what he deserved as It was the LAW! I m sure all the Jews in Nazi Germany got what they deserved as it was the LAW not to be a “JUDEN” and blacks well they needed to obey the Jim Crow laws and like it, right? WRONG! These laws where wrong and inhumane! So is the law on polygamy! Its ok for women to be ****** today ie sleep with everything that moves or heck even charge for it, and that’s ok in society even if she wants to have her baby sucked out of her that’s ok too. But god forbid a guy have 2 or more wives that he is devoted to and faithful to them, that’s bad, but on the same hand its ok for a guy to have a wife and mistress that’s ok by all means that’s respectful right? Or a boyfriend who cheats on you left and right that’s ok too, just by all ******* means don’t have more than one wife or more than one husband. All of you are a bunch of hypocrites on here, you think you are so self righteous and good. But truth is you are toxic you are the type people who can look the other way is millions of jews get sent off to the gas chamber. These polygamist are not doing any harm to us, they want just a right to live there life like anyone else. Why should they not have the same rights as a gay couple? Or the same respect too, why is it the town slut has more respect than a polygamist?? So you are telling me the women who has been with 200 hundred guys is far more moral than the women who has only been with one guy? But shes not moral cause hes married to 3? What ******* sense does that make??? Maybe its just me...I m German, maybe I m just not enlightened enough to why you all judge so much?? But I think it should not be illegal, its a archaic law that goes against the pursuit of happiness...This life style is not one I would pick but I would never look down if any of my friends picked it, I always thought if you where to judge someone it should be because of there own merits! Nothing more! And especially not who they marry...Yes I m for gay marriage as such as I am for polygamy marriage why should these be the only people that should not be allowed marriage? And remember good Christians that Jesus never judged or condemned people like you so love to do and in the name of self righteousness! Jesus had friends from thieves to ****** so lets not judge! But I know you will its in your dark twisted hearts to do so.

March 21 2011 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BOGUS

How do you arrest 60,000 couples?

November 14 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faith

This show is disgusting! How can women actually tolerate this crap? I am so disappointed in TLC for letting them air a show like this. They should be ashamed of their life style...I blocked TLC and will NOT be watching such disgusting and outrages shows!

September 29 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sumergirl1076790

TLC has lost me completely now. Polygamy is illegal and I find it sad that TLC is promoting breaking the law just for ratings. And I am aware of the show Big Love but at lest that show is on a channel that is known for inappropriate television. TLC was not in that category until now. Bigamy is a crime! Not entertainment! And as a Christian it goes beyond a crime to me. My family and I will not be watching this channel anymore. TLC may not care about promoting illegal acts to my kids but I do. To this "family" they will have to answer for the way they've lived there lives to God just like everyone else in this crazy world, including myself.

September 14 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenn

I happen to love that show "Big Love" I know it is fictional, but it opened my mind up to see polygamy in a different light. I will try out tlc's sister wives, it might be ok, then again it might suck. But, I won't not watch it just because it is about polygamists.

August 21 2010 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deviant Wife

I for one am very excited about this show.
I am a second wife in a polygamous relationship and I have hopes that "Sister Wives" will help generate a positive outlook on polygamy. It seems we see WAY too much of the 'bad polygamy' in the media and not enough of the good. And it really can be good! It might not be for everyone, but monogamy isn't for everyone either. Plural marriage is a lifestyle choice...simply stated.
As for my own family, we are a bit different. We do not live in Utah, we are not religiously motivated, and we do not have 21 children. We are just two happily married women who happened to be married to the same man. The love, honesty, and freedom that we experience as a group is something that should not be looked down upon or shunned by those who don't understand. So much hatred out there...when all we are about is love.
I hope that 'Sister Wives' can illustrate the great things that can come of a plural relationship. We are happy, and we are happy to see a family willing to step out of the 'poly shadows' and share their story.
My family has a blog if you would like to read about us and our journey.
Have Love Will Deviate

August 10 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Lynn

This guy is looking for understanding? I hope he understands that by agreeing to do this he's going to end up in jail. What makes me upset the back lash the kids are going to have to face both at school and from the community at large. Their parents are the ones that broke the law but it's the kids, the innocents, that will suffer most from all of this. That is one of the things that those that commit crimes never realize. They think that it will only affect them, yet they are so wrong. It affects all those around them and the younger the person is, the more and worse the affect can be. It's the children that end up being the unintended victims of the adults selfish acts.

August 09 2010 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

The vitriol aimed at the Mormoms is vicious and unjustified. Polygamy is illegal in this country. A show showing it as "acceptable" is on a par with those who view gay marriage as "acceptable", Unless the definition is changed marriage is defined as one man/husband and one woman/wife uniting in matrimony. How can any other coupling be recognized as acceptable and legal?

August 09 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

The vitriol aimed at Mormons in many of the comments is vicious and completely untrue. Yes, polygamy is illegal. Yet, many of the folks who are judging polygamists would "cheer on" those who advocate gay marriage which is also mostly illegal. After all, marriage is defined as one man/husband and one woman/wife....nothing else can be truly acceptable and should be illegal unless the laws are changed by the vote of the majority.

August 09 2010 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

I am very disappointed in TLC This is not a show I or anyone I know would want to or be interested in watching Just more TV junk Liz

August 09 2010 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply