September 18, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Wyclef Jean Announces Haitian Presidential Bid on CNN; Sean Penn Hasn't Seen Him in Haiti for Six Months (VIDEO)

by Allyssa Lee, posted Aug 6th 2010 12:30AM
It's official: Musical artist and erstwhile Fugee Wyclef Jean is, in fact, running for president of Haiti.

"This is my first time announcing it live," Jean confirmed to Wolf Blitzer on 'Larry King Live' (weeknights, 9PM on CNN) on location in Port-au-Prince. "I feel that me running, it brings a neutral situation, meaning that Wyclef Jean can sit with any political party, have a conversation. I'm coming in neutral ... I represent the voice of the youth."

And while his fans and the youth may flock to support this Haiti-born musician, actor and activist Sean Penn had some strong words both in response to Jean's announcement, and on behalf of the earthquake-ravaged country.
"I'm not accusing Wyclef Jean of being an opportunist; I don't know the man," Penn began. "One of the reasons I don't know very much about Wyclef Jean is that I haven't seen or heard anything of him in these last six months that I've been in Haiti."

"I think he has an important voice," Penn continued. "I hope he doesn't sacrifice that voice by taking the eye off the very devastating realities on the ground, and the very difficult strategic future that it's got in putting it back together."

SEAN PENN???

SEAN PENN??? SERIOUSLY??? A SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE SKIT MAYBE... SERIOUSLY NOW, CNN ASKING SEAN PENN ABOUT SOMETHING REQUIRING EDUCATION OR AT LEAST INTELLIGENCE - PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL...

August 06 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angiebaby

If Wyclef Jean was brought here as a child and didn't renounce his Haitian citizenship, doesn't this mean he's an illegal immigrant?

August 06 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JFKMLKMX

maybe all of us should shut up and give wyclef jean an oppurtunity to make it right everyone deserves to get a chance and im not white or black im american of hispanic descent,who are we to judge wyclef or anyone that has an opinion,let him do his thing,wyclef i satnd behind you 100% now maybe the injustice will be eleminated

August 06 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharyn

Sean Penn was NOT ACTING when he was in the movie "I Am Sam". He should shut up and work on problems in his own country....which would be WHERE, by the way?? Haiti has been in turmoil forever. What qualifies Wyclef to be president? His HEART, his desire, his passion, his willingness to step forward, his connection to his people. Sean Penn could learn a lot from Wyclef. As for Sean Penn not seeing Wyclef for 6 months, SO WHAT?? Who are you, Sean Penn? A washed-up used-to/was, Madonna cast-off, big mouth blabbering pie-hole. Should have quit when you made your money doing "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", you spoke eloquently in that movie. Now you just sound like a whoopie cushion.

August 06 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Maybe he needs a few million of his fans to go there with him to help rebuild Haiti??? Or are we just gona put the whole island on welfare and food stamps??

August 06 2010 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wise

Wyclef Jean cares about his people (first and formost). I do understand what Shawn Penn is saying, but the fact is Wyclef has looked around and he can't see a better option for leadership. That is a true leader of people. The people of Haiti need support from all nations, but more importantly they need a true reason to stand up for themselves. Wyclef can help to foster in a new and great idea set. I see others talking about money in Haiti (go to Haiti before you talk about money). Haiti needs to look to themselves first, stand up as a nation and move to the future (education etc.). I think Wyclef can help them do that. Let's try to put politics aside and focus on the needs of the people.

August 06 2010 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bflogrl4evr

This guy couldn't even keep his and his people's hands OUT OF THE COOKIE JAR OF HIS SO CALLED FOUNDATION. If this man does get elected, HE'D BETTER BE KEPT AWAY FROM THE MONEY OF THE PEOPLE

August 06 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply