October 24, 2014

Gear Up for the First U.S. 'Top Gear' Trailer, Gearheads

by Danny Gallagher, posted Aug 12th 2010 3:30PM
Adam Ferrara on the Every fan of BBC's insanely popular and perfect 'Top Gear' knows that the reason it's the most successful car show is because it's not about cars.

Audiences couldn't care less about whether or not Jeremy Clarkson quoted the correct engine displacement for the McLaren F1 or if a Koeningsegg CCR can go from 0 to 100 mph in 8 seconds (it's 7.9, actually). What makes the show so great and entertaining is that it's really about fun. It isn't, as Jezza once said, what you drive, but how you drive it.

The History Channel is giving America a 'Top Gear' of its own, starring Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood, and the first trailer for the U.S. version hit the web earlier this week. Check out the trailer and a brief gut reaction after the jump.

The trailer doesn't focus a lot on the gearhead side of the car show, because the only way it can really work is if the three hosts have a rivalrous camaraderie that makes their various challenges heated and hilarious. So it smartly tries to show that our intrepid crash test dummies have the kind of repartee that can carry the show.

It feels a little light in terms of the basic wit and wisecracking that seem to flow out of the British version so easily, whether they are reviewing the newest abomination from Hyundai or racing airport vehicles around a track. It does, however, absolutely kill when it shows the central core of the cheap car challenges, in this case a "moonshine run" around a dirt track in what appears to be my grandfather's 1977 Ford Granada (well, the suspension looks to be about the same and I never rode in it on anything rougher than his pristine driveway).

Sure, it's natural to be apprehensive about retooling a great television show for a new audience, something even Foust himself admitted to in our short e-mail chat back when the show was first announced. However, watching a beat-up American jalopy jump a 30-degree dirt ramp and landing so hard that it creates the world's first concave car design is hilarious in any country, and Adam's "brilliant" landing sucked a big laugh out of me. It might not be the same thing, but it has some heavy potential to be something really fun.

Are you looking forward to the American 'Top Gear'?

Robert

Even though Im a bbc Top Gear fan, I found the show to be good...Its TG, even has the Stig, although he doesnt look like the bbc Stig...he looks heavier..
The guys got "looser" as the show went on, and by the end segment, were actually starting to get a bit funny....so yea, I'll watch the new TG, just dont take away the other TG...Good job guys.

November 22 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Ok, so you are really making an American TG? How in the heck did u get to use the name??? TG itself is the best dam car show on tv, hear that SPEED? But Im willing to give this new program a shot..Ive seen Tanner on a number of programs, not familiar w/the other 2 gents, but since I am such a car fanatic, I will watch it, providing it doesnt try too hard to be TG...cause it aint...Just do a car show that has some humor, AND lottsa very cool cars...n I dont mean Camaro's..lets get this show on the road...

November 01 2010 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Looks awful. Plain awful. Worst. Trailer. Ever.

They made it look like some tools liked Top Gear and then americanized it.

August 14 2010 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Nope. I don't see any personality coming through on any of the 3 hosts. Plus it looks very low budget. Then again, the current season of the real TopGear hasn't been anything to write home about either.

August 13 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"Every fan of BBC's insanely popular and perfect 'Top Gear' knows that the reason it's the most successful car show is because it's not about cars."

I'm guessing you care nothing about cars because you could not be more misinformed if you tried.

'Top Gear' is an opinionated and fun car show, but it is nonetheless a show about cars and peoples' relationships with cars. Otherwise it would just be a variation on 'Jackass', which is what the US version seems to be stressing.

August 13 2010 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rufus

I'm English and living in the US, and I'm going to carry on hunting down 'my' version to watch, thanks.

This looks amazingly dull.

August 12 2010 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

I'm not going to hate on it. I don't think any other car show will be as good as TopGear "classic" or as I like to call it - TopGear.

Top Gear Australia sorta worked for me, it was practically a clone, good for when you go through the 5 month TG withdrawals. Maybe this will fill that void.

Unless it totally sucks - and the History channel may actually the worst programming in History.

August 12 2010 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Not necessary.

August 12 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs.MGA

I'll believe it when I see it actually on television.

August 12 2010 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

Me either.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the original, thank you very much.

August 12 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply