October 22, 2014

'Eureka' - 'Momstrosity' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 14th 2010 2:25PM
'Eureka' - 'Momstrosity'(S04E06) With one of 'Eureka's' strongest outings of the season, 'Momstrosity' managed to make me fall even more in love with Deputy Andy. It also showed a side of this whole alternate reality situation I hadn't even considered, which is perhaps even more tragic than everything Jo has had to endure so far.

This week, it was all about the robots and a great statement on just how reliant we've become on them. While not as heavy-handed in its approach as 'The Terminator' or 'Battlestar Galactica,' it was still a pretty dangerous situation when artificial intelligence got out of hand.

While one romance appeared to end, another one began ... and it's probably one of the most unique relationships in the history of television.

Before we get to the robot lovefest, I couldn't believe I never considered Grace's point of view in this whole situation. Henry may have found himself awkwardly in a marriage with a woman he truly barely knew. But after he revealed the truth to her, at perhaps not the most opportune of moments, we realized that she has to come to terms with losing the man she'd originally fallen in love with and married. It's as if her Henry is dead, and she now has to try and grieve him while looking at a total stranger who maybe almost him, but just isn't.

Will there be ramifications of Henry telling Grace? Now both she and Deputy Andy know the truth. How long before Jo spills the beans to Zane? Is this reality going to be stabilized and truly become the Eureka from this moment forward, or do the writers have another trick up their sleeves? Considering the cajones it took to push us into this storyline, I wouldn't put anything past them.

In fact, they've given us an android-house relationship. S.A.R.A.H. has always been one of my favorite characters on the show, so to pair her up with my new favorite character, Deputy Andy, is sheer genius! I won't even speculate on how a house and a humanoid android can have a romantic encounter, but it may involve Andy's finger in the wrong port again ... probably best if we don't know.

Since 'Eureka' is generally pretty good with their pseudo-science, I do have to take issue with the super-tent Fargo packed and set up. There is just no way the television and edible snack foods could position themselves so perfectly from that cube. Furthermore, if I'm going to accept that, fine. But I can't accept that those things would be a non-issue when the tent collapsed and wrapped itself like a cocoon around him.

Granted, this is Eureka, so if anyone could build that technology, it would be them. I missed the flying AI this week, with Tiny and virtually every other sentient mechanical entity making an appearance. Tiny being in love with Kevin's project was a moment of brilliance. The little guy is adorable, and the pair ... well, they looked ridiculous together, but again these are robots we're talking about.

The more significant developments came with Carter finally realizing that he's going to need to make a move on Allison sooner rather than later, because Dr. Grant isn't wasting any time. I guess it gives him something to occupy his mind, because he's clearly troubled by his situation a little more than we've seen so far. His line to Carter regarding it not being as fun as it might seem to be a man out of time would appear to foreshadow some deeper troubles he's having adjusting to his new surroundings.

Again, there may be more yet to this alternate timeline story than just accepting this reality and coming to terms with it.

How should 'Eureka' handle this parallel reality they've created?
Keep the characters in this new timeline234 (55.5%)
Find a way to get them back to their own reality163 (38.6%)
Unstick them from reality completely and have them jump around like 'Sliders'25 (5.9%)

billyadams

I really enjoyed this week's episode. Emo was definitely a throwback (small one) to WALL-E, and of course WALL-E was merely a miniature Johnny-5.

August 16 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I like this alternative reality, the show needed refreshing after last year. It also opens the way for Nathan Stark to at least pay a visit to the show as he may well have not died in this reality. I love James Callis being on the show and would love it if he stayed. I wonder if he had children before he disappeared from his own time?
I loved Eureka the first two years but got bored with it last year. Now I can't wait for each new episode again.
Finally, while I loved Zoe I kept getting taken out of the story by the inability of the actress to look like a teenager after the first year. It was hard to buy her teenage problems when she looked like she was definitely in her 20s. I hope they bring her back but they could say she graduated very early after an accelerated program and then just treat her as an adult. As Jack's daughter he's still going to be over-protective so it wouldn't change the dynamic.

August 16 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariewp

sjackson, I also thought Tiny saw Emo as a baby for her to mother.

August 15 2010 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Get back to their reality only to find it changed as well.

August 15 2010 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

I think Tiny's attraction was maternal not sexual, hence the episode title.

August 15 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sjackson's comment
Jason Hughes

That's a good point, and I'd been wondering about that title. In fact, I'll go so far as to declare you officially right ... with all the authority I don't have to do such things. Great insight!

August 16 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

Near the end of the episode when Andy walked out of Sarah's closet buckling his belt, I just laughed my balls off. And the looks he got from Jo and Carter were golden.

August 15 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

I am a fan of this show. Somehow, I'd like to see most of the show go back to the original time line. The one thing I would bring back from this alternate time is the articulate son for Allison. They like throwing references/lines from other movies and TV besides Terminator into the mix. What I'd like to see is some reference to the animated series Gargoyles. For those who don't know, Salli Richardson voiced one of the main characters in the series.

August 15 2010 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

The tent reminded me of an episode of Jimmy Neutron.

August 15 2010 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CMG

Correction to the article: Deputy Andy (probably) doesn't know. Remember that after he figured it out after talking with Carter, his memory had to be wiped. He may have figured it out again since then, but that hasn't been shown on air.

August 14 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I totally enjoyed this episode for the most part except for the juvenile word wrestling bet. Dr "Old Spice" and Carter. But nice to see that Carter's FINALLY going to do SOMETHING about his feelings for Allison, JEEZ!

August 14 2010 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply