December 21, 2014

Charlie Brown Is Here to Stay: ABC Picks Up 'Peanuts' Specials Through 2015

by Ryan McKee, posted Aug 17th 2010 1:00PM
If you awake in a cold sweat, worried this will be the year 'Peanuts' holiday specials no longer air, then you shall sleep soundly tonight. ABC has renewed their agreement to play the Charlie Brown specials for another five years.

Does that mean they'll continue to air 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown'? Yes. 'A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving'? Yes. 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'? Of course. 'Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!'? That one isn't as popular, but ABC does own the rights. 'You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown'? Possibly around the next presidential election.

This season's airing of the original 'Peanuts' holiday special, 'A Charlie Brown Christmas,' will mark its 45th anniversary. When you watch it, the choppy animation and production is obviously dated. Yet, even when it first aired on CBS in 1965, it wasn't up to the production standards of other cartoons of the time. That's because the creators were only given a shoestring budget and the network battled them along the way to make it more accessible to the mainstream. For example, they wanted a laugh track added. But creator Charles Schulz stood his ground and his bittersweet vision still rings with audiences today.

While the comic strip still runs a decade after Schulz' death, and is marking its 60th anniversary this year, ABC's deal does not allow for new specials to be produced. So if you're hoping for 'It's a Menorah, Charlie Brown' or 'A Charlie Brown Mardi Gras' -- you're out of luck for now. It's too bad. We'd love to see Lucy pull the pinata away each time Charlie Brown swings for it in 'A Charlie Brown Cinco De Mayo.'

Lee

I wish that the anniversary special that was produced several years was available on DVD.

November 20 2010 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tim

when is its the great punpkin charlie brown going to be on tv

October 06 2010 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

I'm watching "A Charlie Brown Ramadan" right now (lol). I'm glad they're going to keep airing those specials. I loved those when I was a kid.

August 18 2010 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lita

First intelligent thing ABC has done in quite sometime--unless they force Charlie Brown to appear on "The Bachelor" and Lucy Van Pelt to be on "The Bachelorette." And please, ABC, don't make the rest of the cast participate on "Dating In the Dark," another one of your "brilliant" ideas.

August 18 2010 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wish Belkin

Too bad the world is going to end in 2012.

August 17 2010 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margarette

Great News ABC!!!! I love the Charlie Brown Christmas Special!!!!!

August 17 2010 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy

i love a charlie brown christmas. i have watched every year it has been on tv.

August 17 2010 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

They should continue after 2015.

August 17 2010 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven Vath

And choirs of angels sang Hallelujah!!!

August 17 2010 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I never thought I'd admit this, but as a child
and even into my teen years, looking back at all
the Peanuts Specials I did watch into 1989, I
often think to myself, "Why was I still watching
Charlie Brown? Why couldn't I have quit after
1985 when CBS cancelled The Charlie Brown & Snoopy
Show?" Anyway, those were the fun years for me,
and even after it & The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show
ended its run, I couldn't see myself taking the
memories of Peanuts with me that year. When I saw
how much the kids who did the original voices and
newer voices of the Peanuts gang had changed in 1989,
I thought, "This is the last special I might watch."
Not knowing the future of these specials, that's why
I decided to stop watching them.

August 17 2010 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply