July 28, 2014

DVR Usage Way Up, What Are Your Habits? (POLL)

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 17th 2010 4:30PM
Community and The Big Bang TheoryDVRs are a lifesaver, especially when you've got tough viewing choices -- we're looking at you, Thursday nights, with 'Community' and 'The Big Bang Theory' airing at the same time. A new study has found that the use of DVRs and video-on-demand services has skyrocketed when compared to three years ago.

According to Media Life, a study by International Communications Research done for Comcast found that, of the viewers surveyed, 62 percent time-shifted programming. That's up 60 percent from last year and 84 percent compared to three years ago.

The Tuesday installment of 'American Idol' was the most time-shifted show last season, adding 5.6 million viewers to each episode from time-shifted viewing.

So, what's your DVR usage like?

How many shows do you DVR per week?
016 (3.9%)
1-311 (2.7%)
4-650 (12.0%)
7-960 (14.5%)
10 or more278 (67.0%)

Tell us: What shows do you never watch live? What show is on your most-watch-live list?

Gordy

The Closer, Leverage, and Dark Blue are watched live. Everything else is DVR'd, but, if I'm in front of the TV I might check a show out.

August 19 2010 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

I DVR everything as well. Im w/ BetaDave..the closest I get is wait 20 minutes, so I can skip through all the commercials. Orginally, DH just had a DVR in the basement and recorded his shows. After my first, I had to have one for upstairs. Its a godsend, esp w/ two kids!

August 18 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John From Raleigh

I am like everyone else above.... I record just any show I really care about and watch it when I want to. That and Hulu which I am really starting to dig.

If "Commercial TV" is going to make it, they really need to come up with a sponsorship model like in the fifties because lots of people are not watching their commercials.

August 17 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buckeyenut

I DVR everything! I am constantly recording 2 shows at once & watching something else already recorded. I hate commercials. my cable company now has a feature where you can start a program over(without recording) the only problem is you can't fast forward. The only thing I do watch live is Ohio State football.

August 17 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ferley

I have had a Tivo/Dvr for the last 8 years. I could not live without it. Trust me I have tried.

August 17 2010 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryK

DVR everything, about 3 hrs/night.

August 17 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey8051

I love my dvr. Most of the shows I watch come on during prime play time, so I usually spend that time playing with my daughter, then I can relax and watch a show or two after she goes to bed. I don't think I've watched a live show that wasn't on nickelodeon or one of the other kid channels in a couple of years.

August 17 2010 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

We DVD on average of 2 shows at least a night.. except Weds when we catch up on everything that's been recorded because it's such a dismal television night.

Never watch any reality shows ever so I don't have to worry about recording them...lol

August 17 2010 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Deej

I pretty much DVR everything as I record from time shifted channels so I don't have to wait until later in the evening to watch them

August 17 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BetaDave

I don't watch anything "live" anymore. My DVR is packed with this week's shows. The "livest" I ever get is starting to watch a show 20 minutes after it starts (for a 1 hour show) so I can skip commercials and finish as the show ends. It's painful to watch live TV with commercials. I can't. I won't.

DVRs are a hack on an old model. Someday, everything but live events will be on-demand. Then we'll enter a Golden Age.

August 17 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply