September 16, 2014

Changes Afoot for 'Law and Order: SVU'

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 18th 2010 3:00PM
'Law & Order: SVU'A new ADA isn't the only casting shakeup for 'Law & Order: SVU' this season. Get ready to say goodbye to a very familiar character ... the squad room.

Yep, according to TV Guide at the end of the fourth episode, which also sees the return of Gloria Reuben as U.S. Attorney Christine Danielson, the squad room will be no more. The reason? Well, according to the report, "all hell breaks loose."

Last season on 'SVU,' Benson and Stabler investigated cases involving "anchor babies," a pedophilia organization, social networking, casual encounters and illegal adoption. Benson herself was even investigated for ties to a murder in Central Park. And they had to contend with fiery ADA Jo Marlowe (Sharon Stone).

In season 12, the 'SVU' detectives welcome a new ADA, played by Paula Patton, in the fifth episode, plus break in the new squad room. New sets had to be built after the series moved production from New Jersey to New York City due to losing tax breaks. The season kicks off with a special two-hour premiere "that will take Benson and Stabler through the twists and turns everyone loves," said executive producer Neil Baer in an official release.

So, what causes Reuben's character to return? Child slavery. "We're bringing back characters we love this season," 'SVU' executive producer Neal Baer told TV Guide. The character deputizes Benson and Stabler as marshals so they can leave Manhattan.

Among other familiar faces returning to 'SVU' is Marcia Gay Harden. The Oscar winner is reprising her role as Dana Lewis in the eighth episode of this season. Other guest stars early this season include 'Lost' star Henry Ian Cusick, Joan Cusack and Maria Bello.

Jennifer Love Hewitt SVUJennifer Love Hewitt will appear in episode 3 as a multiple-rape victim afraid to leave her home. "One of the reasons we wanted to do this episode is because it addresses Mariska Hargitay's passion for rape kits, which can help gather evidence to convict the rapists," Baer told TV Guide Magazine. "But for some reason these kits have been sitting around unopened in cities all over the country."

According to Fancast, the Sept. 29 episode will also see Benson travel to Los Angeles for a case and there she'll meet Detective Rex Winters (Skeet Ulrich) of 'Law & Order: Los Angeles.'

'SVU' premieres Sept. 22 at 9PM ET.

Tell us: Are you looking forward to the returning guest stars?

CeCe

I agree it would be interesting to see Dani Beck again, and as much as I love Benson & Stabler she was a good character and I felt she left a bit too abruptly without really finishing or starting anything with Eliott.

September 11 2010 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edpalz

Sharon Stone is a very bad actor. It is so sad and disturbing that Law and Order, such a terrific and well established show with amazing actors who really meld, is being ruined with her acting. This is a disaster. Oh my goodness I hope they remove her ASAP. I don't think I will be able to watch with her on the show. It's so irritating, she is just a terrible actor.

September 07 2010 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbieL13

This show needs to end, what made it popular is the fact they investigated crimes in NYC that simply involved rape, child molestation etc.... when they go into areas that involve HomeLand security or the FBI and federal marshall cases it gets ridiculous!!! Got too political and not believable. stabler & benson make me sick anymore!!

August 23 2010 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzie

Gloria Reuben??! Please... Can't they find someone
(anyone) better than her? Like the show and all the
regulars, but not looking forward to Reuben.

August 20 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r.a.burla

Oh hell yeah. Terrific Show, lots of fun to watch Benson/Stabler growing into long-term Partners, and the issues that arise due to their Character's longevity. HOWEVER...I must admit that without the brilliant decision to save John Munch after "Homicide..." and "transfer" him into this room was a stoke of genius. He's arguably the most complex character on the Series. Early on, he wasn't simply a "Glass Half-Empty" guy, but more a "What glass, dickweed?" Over time, thankfully, the Writers have shown how such a truly gentle soul, possibly the kindest and brightest Cop in NYC, had to build that huge, dark, paranoiac wall around himself to keep from falling into the abyss of tears and self destruction. It's the old: "If I don't laugh, I'll cry and never stop". Belzer has always been the most interesting, most reassuring wise-ass HUMAN BEING as I've seen on TV in years. Great Show!

August 20 2010 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
redhead

i have love love love law and order svu sir yuck yuck bite your tounge on bringing dani back i ouldnt stand her the first time! i cant wait to see what happens this season and there new precint!

August 19 2010 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross

Much as I like Mariska Hargitay, I find it diconcerting to see her all cheery on the cover of women's magazines, given her grim role. Why can't she guest on a high profile/high quality sitcom to lighten things up a bit? I bet she could be hilarious if she wanted. Maybe a sarcastic lesbian cousin to Charlie Sheen??

August 19 2010 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beverly lahme

just keep benson and stabler on

August 19 2010 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
helen

As for the the Actor's coming back that had played in a series before has to go, I'm really are not interested in that [BUT] I hope they [ARE NOT] taking off the Actor's who play the role[Benson or Stabler]!If they do the will end up doing the same thing as they did with the old L&O killing it off!!Look at whats happening to CI,they lost Loyal Fan's when they took the last three main Actor's off. one was myself!!

August 19 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie

I am a fan of SVU. I get real tired though of the who's going to leave and who's going to replace, just to get people to watch. I turn off alot of TV because of that or they turn into a soap.

August 19 2010 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply