Britney and Brittany: Spears Dances with 'Glee' Cheerio
by Kim Potts, posted Aug 20th 2010 12:00PM
Britney Spears Spears posted a photo to her Twitter account on Thursday, showing her and 'Glee' star Heather Morris, as Brittany, performing a recreation of Spears' famous collaboration with Madonna on the song 'Me Against the Music.'
As if you weren't already excited about that all-Britney episode of 'Glee' in the show's second season, the singer has revealed some specifics that suggest it's going to be even more awesome than you thought!
In the photo, Britney is seen wearing an all-white outfit, just like Madonna did in the video for their 2003 collaboration, while Brittany is playing, um, Britney.
And Britney's caption for the pic: "All my GLEEKERS in the crowd, Grab a partner take it down -Brit," a reference to the song's lyrics.
The Britney Spears-centric episode comes about after Emmy-nominated 'Glee' star Matthew Morrison made comments last spring saying he hoped the cast would never perform her tunes on the show.
Murphy, however, has called Spears "arguably the most important female musician other than Lady Gaga in the last 10 years," and the cast will perform at least six Spears songs in the episode: 'Stronger,' 'Toxic,' 'I'm a Slave 4 U,' 'Oops ... I Did It Again,' 'Baby One More Time' and 'Me Against the Music.'
As for Morrison, Murphy told fans during a San Diego Comic-Con panel that, in a nod to the actor's anti-Britney comments, his character, Will Schuester, will spend much of the episode telling his students, "I don't want to do Britney! I don't want to do Britney!"
'Glee' kicks off its second season on Sept. 21 with an episode titled 'Auditions,' which Murphy told Television Critics Association press tour attendees, is "about the idea that everybody, even if you're not in high school, your daily life is an audition for something."
Among the other 'Glee' season 2 goodies Gleeks have to look forward to:
- Morris, a former back-up dancer for Beyonce, will see a lot more screen time in season 2, as fan-favorite character Brittany gets more storylines. In fact, Murphy told Comic-Con fans that the show will shift focus a bit, with several characters getting more screen time, and the average number of big production numbers per episode cut from eight to five.
- Season 2 will include a nod to 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (currently scheduled to be the fifth episode of the season), and Emmy-nominated Chris Colfer, as beloved 'Glee'-ster Kurt, has said he hopes to sing 'The Time Wrap.'
- Kurt's getting a boyfriend, and rumor has it that new cast member Chord Overstreet's Sam Evans, a football player, will be the guy.
- Morris, along with Naya Rivera as cheerleader Santana, and Mike O'Malley, as Kurt's dad Burt, have been upgraded to series regulars for season 2.
- Murphy confirmed there will be an episode, scheduled to air as the third, that focuses on religion and finds Amber Riley's Mercedes taking Kurt to church with her.
- Stamos debuts as Carl the dentist, the new object of Emma's (Jayma Mays) affection, in episode 2, so it really could be his office where the Britney dream sequence takes place.
- Other guest stars will include the return of Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel, plus Cheyenne Jackson as the new Vocal Adrenaline coach as TV legend Carol Burnett as the woman who gave birth to Sue Sylvester (Emmy nominee Jane Lynch).
- And, with Fox airing the Super Bowl on Feb. 6, 'Glee' has snagged the coveted post-Super Bowl timeslot, and will air an episode that will focus on the music of either Prince, The Beatles or Michael Jackson. A hint as to which one may come in Murphy's confirmation that he has been talking to Paul McCartney about a collaboration for the show.