April 23, 2014

'Last Call with Carson Daly' Renewed for 10th (!) Season

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 20th 2010 10:30AM
Carson DalyHappy 10th Season, Carson Daly! Wait, it's been 10 seasons of 'Last Call with Carson Daly'?

According to Variety, NBC has indeed picked up the late night talk show for a season 10. "I really feel that 'Last Call' has hit its stride. It took 10 years, but it feels brand new and great,"Daly told Variety.

NBC also announced that Daly will continue to serve as the host of its New Year's Eve programming.

If you get over the initial shock that 'Last Call' is still on, the late night show's renewal should come as no surprise. With the controversy surrounding Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno earlier this year, NBC made it clear months ago they wanted to keep Daly around, even if they didn't end up giving him the 'Late Night' hosting gig.

According to TV Week, 'Last Call' has consistently done pretty well in ratings considering its time slot at 1:35AM . The show brought in around 1.16 million viewers in 2009, gaining over its last season.

Viewers may remember Daly from MTV's 'TRL,' where he helped make music videos relevant again ... sort of. He's been with NBC since 2002.

Tell us: Are you a fan of 'Last Call'?

Majick1

Truth is the show sucked from the beginning and has added more vacuum as it has progressed. NBC is losing it all the way around.

August 22 2010 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think he's done a good job with his talk show in that late night time slot. He's the complete opposite of the slicker hosts of Leno and Letterman and has gotten less mainstream and independent artists to perform on his show. People that Leno and Letterman would have rejected because it doesn't match with their expensive live sets. I think some are suprised because Carson Daly is on a time slot when most people are asleep. But there are viewers who are up late at night, maybe returning home from their jobs by the time he comes on at 1:35 am. His non studio and on the road approach that he's doing now is chance taking and creative. He's the anti-studio host. I believe the fans that watched him on TRL in their teens are in their 20s and 30s now and continue to follow his career with Last Call. Because Carson Daly is the executive producer of his show, he can do whatever he wants. One of my favorite shows was when he called MTV's president after finding out that his former TRL show that he hosted was ending after 10 years. What a class act that he did with recalling his past show while he's very focused on his current one for that particular show. It just shows how very consistent he's been in the TV business and that NBC has stayed with him when they couldn't comes to terms with Conan O'Brien.

August 22 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanjuay

whats wrong with his head

August 22 2010 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chili Challis

I was at NBC studios when it all began. Had offers to write for him, maybe I should have, who knew? ;)

August 22 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Lee

I've been following Carson since he was a D.J. on a local am radio talk show in Palm Springs, Calif., Named Tee Time. (early 1990's) Talked about golf.
I watched his first Last Call, featuring Alicia Keys I believe.
We both had to turn up a few beers in the early '90's, at the 2am time in Calif.(which is LAST CALL) Ed Lee

August 22 2010 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steverc53

'Last Call'
Never heard of it.

August 22 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tim

First time I saw daly was when he was doing the studio version of last call. Honestly the worst thing I'd ever seen on television...well, sans modren day SNL skits. Anyway, the newer shows are, actually, great. The on-the-road interviews are way more natural and interesting. I've also heard some really great bands on there that would never, ever be playing on Fallon on Leno. Though, I will say, I've also heard some really, really terrible indie rock on there. Anyway, If all you've seen is the studio show, this is worth checking out again: it's everything that the rest of the late nite plastic patrol isn't.

August 21 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I thought Carson Daly's "Last Call" late night
show would last no more than 2 seasons, because
he had a lot of MTV Total Request Live followers,
at least for the time he hosted that show. I guess
he still has TRL fans that have followed him into
Last Call, and they've been tuning in ever since.

August 20 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

He is the According to Jim of late night.

August 20 2010 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I guess the show's profitable. Good for Carson Daly, for keeping a career longer than most MTV alumni.

August 20 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply