November 28, 2014

'Eureka' - 'Stoned' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 21st 2010 4:00PM
'Eureka' - 'Stoned'(Season 4, Episode 7) Sometimes you have to fight for what you want. Sometimes it's too late. And when you're dealing with time travel, that can take on a whole new meaning. Zoey returned to Eureka this week for a visit, where we discovered that she's moved on to a new Mr. Right.

But, as this is Eureka, a visit to town just wouldn't be complete without falling hands first into the newest scientific danger. It was a fun one this week, though lighter on the action than we've seen in recent weeks. Perhaps Colin Ferguson was too tired from filming 'Lake Placid 3' to handle it, so instead we got a fairly low-key, though no less deadly, conundrum for him to try and solve with his down-home charm and smile.

Plus, did you really think you could pluck a man from 1947 and drop him into the Information Age, at a high-tech company like Global Dynamics no less, and no one would notice?

It looks like Dr. Grant's secret is out, though what it means remains to be seen. The woman at the end who's the daughter of one of his contemporaries looked cryptic enough, but I'm not sure what she could have meant by them waiting for him. Maybe they want to worship him! Regardless, she knew that Dr. Charles Grant was in fact the same Dr. Trevor Grant who vanished in 1947 on the site that would one day become Eureka. It's actually pretty exciting to think they're going to start exploring his unique situation a little more. And it's about time, so to speak.

As fun as he's been in the role of dashing man with quaint and archaic charm, it's about time the brilliant James Callis gets something a little meatier to sink his teeth into. What should be even more delicious for fans is when he inevitably has to call on the Sheriff for help.

Trouble for our time-tossed gang may have started when they asked Zane to help them hack the Department of Defense systems to try and fix the problem of who was looking into Dr. Grant's fabricated file. Zane's a little too smart at doing illegal things like that, and he picked up on the fact that Dr. Grant isn't exactly who it says he is. Jo probably should have agreed to look into it, if only in the hopes of getting him off her back, but she's emotionally distracted, so we'll let it slide.

This week, the Sheriff was beside his daughter in consternation and grief. At one point it was because she was petrifying from the outside in, but I think the more dramatic development was the reveal that the new man in her life is none other than Zane Donovan. The Zane Donovan who proposed to Jo in the original timeline and has more recently been warming up to her. Poor Jo walked in on the two of them canoodling over her recovery.

First, the episode starts with a delay on construction of her house because of a supposed archaeological find and then she has to have her heartache smeared all over Allison's lab table. I hope the writers come up with something more positive to do with her character this this season than just make her suffer endlessly. She's too good of a character to waste this way. Plus, she's a much better fit for Zane than Zoey.

That said, I enjoyed this more grown-up version of Zoey, talking all scientific and over her dad's head. I think that may have been one of those rare moments when Jack was able to see her as an independent woman instead of the little girl he needs to be incredibly overprotective of. I'm not sure if Jordan Hinson is going to be available to return to the series (certainly 'Hank' tanked miserably), but I think it would be nice to explore the two of them developing this new and more mature relationship. It would certainly be good for Jack's development.

Henry took another big step in his courtship of his "wife," by finding a way to woo her in a different way from his own instincts ... apparently, he and her Henry think a lot alike. His rendition of "She Blinded Me With Science" was a lot of fun, though Fargo as DJ had to permanently eliminate any intimidation he had over the staff at GD. After seeing him dance around like a goober, how can they see him as anything other than a goofball?

As much fun as the weekly disasters usually are, I found this week's petrification storyline a little dull. Thankfully, the ongoing threads had some nice beats to them to keep things moving, and some seeds were planted that can grown throughout the rest of the season into flowers of big-time drama and conflict. I've always thought 'Eureka' handled the big things better than these diversions anyway.

The biggest thing Jack did this week was finally, after 50 episodes, kiss Allison. At this rate, the two of them will shack up in Episode 100. It's about time he took that bold step, because now we can have even more tension when Dr. Grant finds out. And was it just me, or did anyone else expect Nathan Stark to pop up at, or right after, that climactic moment. I don't know why, but it just felt like the kind of twist the writers would love to throw our way. Who's to say they still won't.

Gordon Werner

if the artifact doesn't exist in this timeline ... whos to say that Kim, Henry's true love, isn't alive as well ?

August 23 2010 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Didn't care what really happened once Allison and Jack got into that serious liplock. A.F.T.! Gotta remember one thing people, everyone except the travelers is an alternate universe person. Who can say what they are here compared to what they were back in the real world. What would be great would be to see Henry's first love show up just as he's making headway with his alternate reality wife.

August 22 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John F.C. Taylor's comment
wulfn1

Wow, good point!... Hadn't thought about the possibility that Beverly might actually be anything other than her unsavory self. Though, from the tone of the whole alternate reality thing thus far, all but Fargo and Kevin are exactly as their normal characters would be , even in different employment positions.
It would be interesting, if they twisted her character to be a good guy, but with a personality no one could love. That would be the closest to "slightly altered"(as was discussed in their first episode "back", history stayed close to same with only small changes to things that happened close to the group)

August 22 2010 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I sure hope they have not changed Nathan Stark to much. I liked the old one from the other time line. All of a sudden I don't trust Grant. I do hope they don't turn him evil by working with that woman.

August 22 2010 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
wulfn1

If this posts twice, my apologies...

I don't think I would call the character evil,...
more "self serving". If doing something nefarious gets him what he wants, I don't think he is above doing so. ya know what I mean?

August 22 2010 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Didn't like this episode much, and ick on the Zoe and Zane thing. She's just out of highschool for criminy sake!

The musical was corny, though it was an original way to try and gain favor with the wife. Interesting that he took Jack's advice and went to the person he would least likely ask for help.

Ugh Stark isn't dead in this one. So what, are they divorced? Never married, but had an affair?Never really liked that character.
Beverly is trouble no matter what guise her character is placed. I see her and Grant hooking up somehow.. he strikes me as just below boards, and perfect minion for her.

The contemporary's daughter/monkeywrench makes me wonder if someone witnessed their departure and is looking for information or some way of capitalizing on the issue. Also possible , considering Grant was supposedly a playboy in his day, that she is in fact his daughter, or knows his offspring which he was unaware he had.

I kind of agree with Chris about next season's plot line. Though I get the feeling even if they manage to get back to their original time line, Grant will alter things due to his knowledge from the time travel , so it STILL won't be identical to what it started out as.

August 21 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trekker437

Come on now. I was being nice to the reviewer and you all are just rubbing it in that he missed a few key things. I'm sure he's seen the first few seasons too. And since you all mentioned Stark being back (I was avoiding mentioning the name) I want to just say I can't wait to see him. And it's about time we got back to the secret agency (though wonder what they are after now that the artifact is gone).

August 21 2010 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to trekker437's comment
Chris

Yeah..maybe someone who has seen an episode other than this season should be doing the reviews.

August 21 2010 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Artie B

Jason- you must be new to Eureka. The woman at the end of the ep was Dr. Beverly Barlow (actress Debrah Farentino), who turned out to be a "bad guy" during the 2006-2007 season. When last we saw her, Beverly dematerialized from a bunker inside GD after trying to steal the then-autistic Kevin Blake, due to his connection to "The Artifact". Should be interesting to have her, and Nathan Stark back on the show for (at least) next week's episode.

August 21 2010 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Artie B's comment
Natrino

I am curious if Nathan is the father of Jenna in this timeline as well. I assume so, so it will be interesting to see the state of his relationship with Allison.

August 21 2010 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Hughes

I originally wrote that she was a familiar face I was ashamed I didn't recognize ... and that's it. Yeah, I've seen the whole series, but didn't recognize her. Shame on me!!!! :)

August 22 2010 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

"The woman at the end who's the daughter of one of his contemporaries looked cryptic enough, but I'm not sure what she could have meant by them waiting for him"

uh ... isn't that Beverly ... the lady who ran the Hotel in Season 1 and who was a spy for some "agency" ... remember back to the whole alien artifact storyline?

August 21 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trekker437

Technically, this isn't a spoiler because it was on the "next episode preview" after this weeks episode, but I will refrain from giving out any names...there will be some familiar faces on the next episode. For that matter, you neglected to mention Beverly being back. We all remember (I hope) that she used to work for a secret agency that we suspect is evil (of course it is). Overall though, good review.

August 21 2010 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply