October 21, 2014

Best Wedding Shows on TV: From 'Bridezillas' to 'Big Redneck Weddings'

by Tara Spicer, posted Aug 22nd 2010 10:00AM

There's no denying the addictive powers of the wedding show ... especially when you throw in an angry bride, a frazzled groom, and a budget that makes Chelsea Clinton's nuptials look like a backyard potluck.

But of course, not all brides are bridezillas, not all grooms are miserable, and not all weddings come with a million dollar price tag. There are also those shows that are filled with happy, normal people. You don't have to be a bride (or a groom) to enjoy these seven wedding shows ...

'Say Yes to the Dress' (TLC)
This show chronicles brides-to-be in hot pursuit of the perfect wedding gown. Kleinfeld Bridal Salon in New York City (a 35,000 square foot haven that boasts top designer dresses), is the backdrop for tears of joy, sadness, and relief when the dream dress is finally unearthed. The show proved so successful, TLC launched an Atlanta-based spinoff.

'I Propose' (Style)
This show carries the distinction of being one of the few programs that pays homage to all the grooms out there. Or rather, the grooms-to-be. Tune into this one to see men planning their perfect proposal. Here's hoping their brides-to-be-won't end up starring in the next show on this list...

Bridezillas'Bridezillas' (WE)
Like watching a trainwreck, this is one show you'll have a hard time wrenching your eyes away from. When they're not barking orders at their florists, calling their bridesmaids "fat," or ripping their veils in half, these brides-to-be are laying the foundation bricks for marriages made in hell.

'Rock the Reception' (TLC)
If you're tired of watching mean brides, tune into this show that follows couples as they learn the choreography for their first wedding dance. Choreographers Tabitha and Napoleon D'umo (of So You Think You Can Dance fame) have their work cut out for them as couples fumble and stumble their way to the altar.

'Engaged and Underage' (MTV)
OK. Back to the trainwrecks now. From the network that brings us Sixteen and Pregnant is a show proving that the path to matrimony is sometimes paved with baby mama drama and family tension. Watch 18 to 21 year olds in the final weeks of their engagement as they grapple with uncertainty, cyncical family members, and becoming adults.

My Big Redneck Wedding'My Big Redneck Wedding' (CMT)
If the title alone doesn't grab you, then perhaps the camouflage, guns, and demolition derby-themed ceremonies will. This show is the exact opposite of Platinum Weddings, and it proves that love is still love whether you're toasting champagne flutes or cans of Bud Light.

'Platinum Weddings' (WE)
This show puts the spotlight on weddings of colossal proportions. No budget is too big when you're buying bejeweled lilies, horse-drawn carriages, and fireworks to entertain your guests. Watch the brides coo in delight over their Cinderella weddings while the grooms sign checks and try not to cry.

Tell us: what are your favorite wedding shows?

Karla

I have always loved "David Tutera's, My Fair Wedding" and have recently found and enjoyed "My Big Redneck Wedding."
David Tutera puts class, style, and passion into all he does on a serious note while the "rednecks" do it up loud, cheap, and hilarious. One show gets an "ooh & ahhh!" from me, while the other receives a good, loud belly laugh.
But both shows have couples that are in love and are committed to each other and their weddings, which is what counts the most. :)

February 05 2011 at 6:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

The only one I ever liked, was on BBC America,
"Don't tell the bride".
Those poor grooms went through hell for their brides. The show had bridezillas, cinderellas and nervous frazzled grooms trying to make them happy. Wish they'd bring it back for another season.

August 24 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicoledtroit

I love, love, love Platium Bride, My Fair Wedding with David Tutera and Say Yes to the Dress in New York and Atlanta. I used to like Bridezilla but it has really lost it's class. I also used to like Whose Wedding is it anyway but it change it format.

August 24 2010 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

DAVID TUTERA ALL THE WAY - BY THE WAY WHO PAYS FOR THESE FABOULAS WEDDINGS AND DAVID'S TIME AND FABOULAS TALENT?

August 23 2010 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunni

Another vote for David Tutera.s show.

August 23 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sunni's comment
NewYorkmom

I agree with some of the above.. I have watched all the shows mentioned and by far the best are "Say Yes to the Dress/Kleinfeld" and "David Tutera's, My Fair Wedding"! David is careing, creative and funny. If I were a bride to be I would love for David to help me out!. Bridezilla's is junk.. too much attention to bride's that aren't even all that!

August 23 2010 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veronica

I like Say Yes to the Dress, the Kleinfeld edition. I've watched Atlanta and am a little surprised at how fresh the staff and owner seem to be towards their customers. The NY staff seems much nicer (maybe their just more camera )

August 23 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie08202000

I like all of these shows, but I have to say my most favorite one My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. He goes way out of the way to make the bride happy!

August 23 2010 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ek

Biggest omission of all!! David Tutera's My Fair Wedding is by far the best, creative, inventive, interesting, real decent people, wedding show of all. How could you leave it out????

August 23 2010 at 9:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I think my favorite is a show on WE channel called "Girl meets Gown." Its similar to "say yes to the dress" but filmed in Dallas. Its fun watching a show about my home town!

August 23 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cher

David Tuter's My Fair Wedding is the best. He makes a dream come true and the brides are really sweet. I think Bridzilla is terrible but you can't believe that people act that way!

August 23 2010 at 9:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply