October 30, 2014

Emmy Picks: Best Lead Actor in a Drama

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 23rd 2010 1:02PM

With the Emmy awards less than a week away, I'm continuing to pick who I think should and who I think will win the major awards.

On Friday, I discussed the Best Lead Actress in a Drama category. Today we look at their male counterparts in the Best Lead Actor in a Drama category.

Nominees:
Kyle Chandler, 'Friday Night Lights'
Bryan Cranston, 'Breaking Bad'
Matthew Fox, 'Lost'
Michael C. Hall, 'Dexter'
Jon Hamm, 'Mad Men'
Hugh Laurie, 'House'

Who will win:
Wow. You could make a case for everyone in this category, given the strong episodes they each submitted. That being said, Bryan Cranston didn't give the Academy any reason to avoid giving him the award for the third year in a row. 'Breaking Bad' had an exceptionally strong season, and it says a lot that I don't even think Cranston was the best actor on his show this year -- Aaron Paul did that good of a job, but he's nominated in the supporting category -- but I still think he will take the prize.

Who should win:
Cranston. Another indication that he and 'Breaking Bad' put in such an exceptional season: I don't even think the episode he submitted -- the gripping season finale, 'Full Measure' -- was Cranston's best job this year. If I were doing the submitting, I'd give the Academy either the claustrophobic 'Fly,' which showed the full range of what Cranston can do, including take a fall from off a catwalk, or 'Half Measures,' just for its shocking final scene alone.

Dark Horse: Hall or Hamm. Hall because he won the Golden Globe and had probably his best season on 'Dexter,' Hamm because he's been shut out to this point and really deserves to win while 'Mad Men' is at the front of the public's pop culture consciousness.

Who do you think will take home the Emmy?

(Follow @joelkeller on Twitter.)

MaryG90

Hugh Laurie, 'House'

August 24 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ePastorJames

I am hoping Cranston loses, actually, and I flove "Breaking Bad". (In fact, I think it losing Best Drama Series will be a tremendous injustice, so I'm rooting for an upset over "Mad Men", whose third season was uneven in parts due to large focus on Betty/less focus on Peggy/Joan.) He's great, but three times is just excessive; this applies to you, too, Close.

I am wishing and hoping that Hall scores the dark horse win. His Golden Globes win was the most joyous moment, and I hope he gets what he deserves. It's a travesty that Jennifer Carpenter was snubbed, so I will accept a Hall win as a win for both.

August 24 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Chandler or Hall. Both are exceptional talents.

August 23 2010 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
den

Chandler, maybe it's enough that he actually got nominated so I think Hall should win it.

August 23 2010 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lkm

It's hard to explain why Hugh Laurie hasn't won this ever year he's been on "House."

August 23 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

I also think Cranston should have submitted the "FLY" episode but he will most likely win anyway Jon Hamm also has a strong chance of winning because he was so amazingly subtle in the "Gypsy & the Hobo" ep of Mad MEN but DEXTER has a strong chance too

August 23 2010 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I want Matthew Fox to win, isn't this like the first time he's gotten a nomination in all six years of LOST?

August 23 2010 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply