October 22, 2014

Will Forte Leaving 'Saturday Night Live'

by Jean Bentley, posted Aug 26th 2010 1:00PM
Will ForteHis 'MacGruber' movie might've been a box office bomb, but at least Will Forte is leaving 'Saturday Night Live' with a bang.

The eight-year 'SNL' vet is not returning to the show in the fall, The New York Times reports.

According to two anonymous insiders (or, as the NY Times called them, "two people with direct knowledge of the show's planning but who were not allowed to speak on the record"), the comedian has parted ways amicably with the show, which will begin its 36th season in the fall. Forte is reportedly looking to pursue other projects.

'MacGruber' was the latest 'SNL' skit to be turned into a movie, and fared similarly to other sketch-to-screen adaptations (that is to say, not so well). However, Forte's memorable turn as the cross-dressing boyfriend of '30 Rock''s Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski) makes us think he could have a successful post-'SNL' career.

Tell us: Will you miss Forte when 'SNL' starts up again? What are your favorite Forte characters?

ItsBridget

Will Forte is awesome!! He's not just on SNL; he's a writer too. He's done stuff for That 70's Show and stuff for Letterman. People who are commenting negatively on this board obviously don't watch SNL and just want their name somewhere on the internet.

August 28 2010 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

I agree that the ESPN skits are very funny, a whole lot funnier than most of the weak sketches that SNL does now days. I usually DVR the show that way I can fast-forward through the lame parts which means I usually watch the 90 minute show in 25 minutes or so.

August 27 2010 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

Will Forte is my favorite.... I will miss him.

And to all of you who say SNL hasn't been good in years, you obviously haven't been watching. There is no possible way you could watch for the last 10 years and not found anything funny. The only bad season was somewhere in the mid '00's (like 04 I think, after ferrell left) Even if you truly don't like it, why read an article titled "SNL" and then comment on the article. Doesn't seem like you don't care about the show.

August 27 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken Woelfer

I'm sorry, but I never did thing Will Forte was very funny, As for SNL in general, the only things consistently funny are the political stuff, and the fake news. WAY too many skits are just dumb, where you wait for a punch line that never comes. Notable exceptions are the Daily Dish with Alec Baldwin and the girls, and lately Betty White. Lorne has done some wonderful stuff at the helm, but it's long past the time when he should go home and count his money. Sorry, but it's true.

August 27 2010 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

SNL will have one less funnyless person on it's staff.

August 27 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kilmer

I never heard of this guy.

August 27 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mynameis

SNL is only good at 12:10, when the fake "News" is done. It's only really good season(s) were when they had the Not Ready for Prime Time Player's as the cast (John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, etc.)

August 27 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bapplb1

who friggin cares. SNL hasn't been funny or entertaining in YEARS

August 27 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joannericec

Sorry to hear that Will will not be returning...he'll defintely be missed. I've been a huge SNL fan since the early days...still a very hip, cutting edge show...and I watch it now with my 13-yr old son, who looks forward to it as much as I do. Love the current cast and can't wait for the new season.

August 27 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carla

Sorry to see Will go, but I already have the perfect replacement.

August 27 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply