September 20, 2014

'Little People, Big World' to End After 6 Seasons

by Rich Keller, posted Aug 27th 2010 1:30PM
'Little People, Big World'Viewers have tuned in to watch the trials and tribulations of the Roloff family for five seasons of TLC's 'Little People, Big World.' During that time they've watched Matt and Amy Roloff, a married couple who are both little people, and their four children -- the average-sized Jacob, Molly and Jeremy and little person Zach -- deal with daily life on the massive Roloff Farms and in the average-sized outside world.

Now, those times are coming to an end. In a press release distributed late Thursday evening, TLC confirmed that the sixth season of 'Little People, Big World' will be its last.

The show, which premiered in 2006, has been a ratings hit for the network. Focusing mostly on Matt and Amy at the beginning of the show's run, attention has turned to the activities of twins Zach and Jeremy as of late. In fact, a good portion of the fifth season involved the boys' post-high school graduation trip to Europe as well as Zach's activities at the World Dwarf Games.

The Roloffs have also made the news a number of times during the show's run. In the fall of 2006, Jacob and family friend Mike Detjen were seriously injured when a pumpkin catapult prematurely launched. In June of 2007, Matt was arrested on DUI charges. He was later acquitted, but lost his driver's license for three years.

According to statements made by Matt on his and the 'Little People, Big World' Facebook pages, the decision to end the show may have come from him and not TLC, though Roloff gave no reason for ending the show. One concern could be his continuing health issues, as seen at the end of season 5 when he succumbed to a bout of vertigo -- a situation that resulted in rumors that Roloff had died.

Another possible reason is the perceived tension between Matt and Amy that viewers observed during the last season. While never shown as totally lovey-dovey, it seemed Matt and Amy were bickering more while participating in fewer activities as a couple. With the twins nearing 20 years old, Molly nearing high school graduation and Jacob in his teens, perhaps the couple decided to end the show now and avoid the embarrassment other reality couples have endured when they encountered relationship problems.

The sixth and final season of 'Little People, Big World' will premiere on Sept. 6 at 8PM.

Anne Manzer

I enjoy watching "The Little Couple".....but I miss watching "Little People, Big World" . Of the two....I'd prefer watching "Little People, Big World". I missed the last eppsodes. How can I find out what the family is doing?

October 19 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark zeller

All Roloffs, Thank-you for allowing my family to be a part of yours. Your family is so real and I'm glad you didn't candy coat anything. Know you were always the bright spot of my day and I'll not forget any of you. Will miss all of you very much. Wishing you all the best and may god bless.
With love and kindness,
m.zeller

November 30 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria C Lopez

I love this family! Why such a fuss about who is going to clean the house? They should just hire a housekeeper! Afterall, they are television celebrities and isn't that what they usually do??? Very simple solution....

September 07 2010 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloria

I will miss Roloff's...... I welcomed them into my home when ever possible for me...... I hope to see up dates in the furture......Thank you all very much Roloffs... GOD BLESS YOU ALL..

September 07 2010 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sallyparks

Dear Roloff's Going to miss you all. I came to the farm about 3 yr ago, it was so much fun. You are good people and i looked forward to your show. Stay strong and rememder what brought you together in the first place. The show was just a tool to help you through life. Your family is the most important. maybe you will come back in a few years so we can see how you are doing . love you all Matt, Amy , the Twins ,Molly and Jacob.... S Parks

September 06 2010 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane L

I really enjoyed the early years of LPBW. I found it inspiring to see the family work together and seem to truly care about each other. The last year or so it has gotten less enjoyable. Matt seems to have developed some grandiose Napoleanic attitudes which I think rubbed off on Zach who I thought was getting away with bad behavior...like speeding and sloppy school work. Amy was carrying too much of the load, just like Kate Gosselin. Men in these reality shows don't seem to handle equality with their wives very well. They get an attitude, then the wife has to do it all, then the men get jealous because we can all see they are just roosters strutting around pecking at the butts of the hard working mamas. Matt has really developed a poor poor pitiful me stance, just like John Gosselin. I will keep watching Kate in the hopes that she can rise to the occasion and be her better self, which we saw, before John turned into a PH. Blessings to all as they try to do their best.

September 05 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ay

I love this show and will really miss it when it's over. Amy is a great role model, messy house and all. You can tell she loves her kids and they respect her and love her back. I bet if they had any real crisis in their teenage lives, they would not hesitate to go to her and it will go the same way when they are adults. She would be a great friend too. I remember her discussing her fears of having the kids taken away because of her dwarfism and thinking what a sad world we live in that she had to live that fear when she was actually such a great mom. The show has brightened many days when I've been overcome with chronic pain and unable to move. Thanks, Roloffs!

September 02 2010 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wesley H.

I love the Roloffs. Oh, and the Roloff Farm is 34 acres (according to Matt Roloff), so hardly "massive" by any account.

September 01 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Never even heard of this show.

September 01 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hummer

I will miss following the Roloff's on their farm...however, I do think 5 years in the public eye would be wearing on anyone. I didn't realize Matt had lost his license due to the trial - that is too bad, as he seems to be a very busy man. I think the show has been a good way to show the people what a dwarf faces every day in our society and how some of them manage to overcome bias and misinformation. Amy impresses me as a woman that doesn't take any BS- and sometimes Matt seemed to be a good shoveler -- I do wish them all the very best adn thank them for allowing us to be a part of their lives these past 5 years -

September 01 2010 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply