November 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Is the 'Persons Unknown' Finale the Worst Series Finale Ever? (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Aug 30th 2010 1:15AM
Is the 'Persons Unknown' Finale the Worst Series Finale Ever?Well, we were promised answers. And we didn't really get them. This was the two-hour season finale of 'Persons Unknown' (Sat., 9PM ET on NBC). Considering that the show has gotten incredibly low ratings, it seems highly doubtful that it will be back next year. Thus, this is essentially our series finale as well. So, were all the loose ends tied up?

[Spoiler alert.]

... No, not at all. After temporarily "escaping" the nameless deserted town by faking their deaths, our group of heroes are all recaptured by the mysterious "Program." Sucks to be them. Joe and Mark the journalist (Jason Wiles and Gerald Kyd) find themselves back in the original hotel. Which pretty much puts Joe right where he started in episode one of the series. To make matters more intriguing, the once-dead Tori (Kate Lang Johnson) is now the new hotel manager.

Meanwhile, the rest of the group (Janet, Moira, Charlie, Erika, Bill, and Graham) also wake up in the hotel. But when they take the elevator down to the hotel lobby, the doors open up ... to reveal that they are standing on a massive ship -- and are stranded in the middle of the ocean. The Night Manager greets them, and says this: "Welcome to Level Two."

Then, the camera pulls back as the ship sails away on the vast, stormy sea. And ... that's the end of the series.

This would be fine, and a good "cliffhanger" ending for a season, but it's pretty much guaranteed that 'Persons Unknown' is never returning to TV. In addition, the first season of the show was pitched to viewers as a complete 13-episode mini-series. NBC did endless promos for the show promising that "All Will Be Revealed." Remi Aubuchon, the Executive Producer of the show, even did an interview where he said this:

"[In the season one finale], there will be none of those maddening teases that we're going to tell you the answers and then we don't tell you the answers."

But that's essentially what happened. The finale was nothing but a "maddening tease." The show essentially rebooted, leaving the characters right where they started. Everyone's still trapped, except now some of the characters are trapped on a boat. ... Whoo-hoo. Big deal.

There have been finales that displeased viewers before. Many fans didn't like the last episodes of 'Lost' and 'Battlestar Galactica.' But even if you didn't like the way those shows ended, they did at least provide answers. (It's just that many fans weren't completely pleased with those answers.)

But 'Persons Unknown' explicitly promised to wrap things up for us, and then didn't do that. Either NBC lied about "revealing" everything, or the producers changed their minds

What do you guys think? Was this a terrible finale? Was it the most annoying finale ever? Or did you find it pleasingly mysterious, even if it was a bit inconclusive?

Nicole Ann Hammac

i watched the whole flippin season for them to stop and not make a season two. this makes me angry i actually liked this show. . .huff...

February 21 2012 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
I_Know_You

This series finale was awful. Nothing was revealed. I started this ridiculous mission on Netflix, got fed up on episode 8 and skipped to the last episode. I thought it was a movie, but it was much worse (a mini series that wasted major time). After watching the last episode of season 1, I thought that there were more seasons so I google it and find out that they (understandably) didn't make it to another season. (What a relief)... Great article Mr. Miller.

January 09 2012 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walid Taj

Had there been a producer or producers interested enough to pic this up and turn it into multiple seasons, then YES, I would've said it was a great finale.

But truth of the matter is, viewers aren't interested any longer. So go ahead with the cancellation people.

September 15 2011 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdcolon2004

The author of this article seems to act like this show was intended for more than just a miniseries. Am I missing something? And we got the answers. That's not the issue. The finale is essentially the ending of Planet of the Apes, though only if the apes pursued them to the statue of liberty and brought them back. In any case we got the reveal, though we don't know the purpose of the Program (okay, that's might be a big one). But really, if there were to be a sequel here, it would be very short. I couldn't see them going longer than a couple episodes. We saw behind the curtain, and most of the protagonists will inevitably know through Joe and the others. The nailbiting mystery will be almost nonexistent at that point, and the sequle would have to rely more on just a suspense thriller with lots of explosions that just center on the good guys again trying to get free. That's it.

August 27 2011 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

If this is the end to the entire series, it is not the worst ending in the world. It leaves the impression that when the goverrnment wants something done, there is not escaping it, even when a group comes up with as brilliant a plan as this group did. The ending lets the audience know that these people cannot escape. I would love to see a season 2 appear on the air but if it does not I am satisfied with this ending.

July 07 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darian

IT was just like Las Vegas' series finale!!!!

June 12 2011 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
francesca

I liked the end, I found the last episode very mysterious and it's not true there is no explanation of course cannot be revealed everything if there is going to be a season 2. Please, put the 2 season on TV!!!!! This is one of the best series!!

June 01 2011 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andron

if that was the end that sucks what happen to letting everybody who watched this show know what happen did they eget away or not... nbc is getting rich of one hit wonders

May 17 2011 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeamSnyder

I found it refreshing to have a show that is now about solving crimes, not about doctors or lawyers, and not a reality show. Dont get me wrong, I love several of the reality shows, but I also enjoy variety and cops, crimes and illness is not gonna cut it every day, at least not for me.
I feel the finale was brilliant.... if there is to be a season 2, 3, 4, etc. But if that was the lame attempt to close out the show and discontinue it, then it was the worst ever. At least when prison break went off air they put an end to it, Jericho was another great show that offered something different, and of course it was cancelled too. I guess there is not enough blood and guts and sex in them. Who know what these TV execs think..... they pobably dont know themselves.

May 14 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josh

whether the show continues or not I thought the finale was brilliant! If it continues that is cool but even if it doesn't the finale was wonderfully mysterious. I also watched the show long after the series had ended and had not been promised any answers so if I were in the same boat I might have felt it wasn't sufficient as well.

May 12 2011 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply