September 17, 2014

January Jones Emmys 2010: About That Blue Dress...

by Elena Cox, posted Aug 30th 2010 2:50PM
January JonesThe always beautiful January Jones of 'Mad Men' was nominated for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series at last night's 2010 Emmy Awards, but, unlike the show that made her famous, Jones didn't take home a statue for her role as Betty Draper. The first-time nominee lost to perennial contender Kyra Sedgwick, who nabbed the prize for her performance in 'The Closer.'

Before the event, Jones walked the carpet with rumored boyfriend Jason Sudeikis of 'Saturday Night Live' fame.

Jones donned
a futuristic Versace gown and Miu Miu heels which, unfortunately, helped land her on our worst dressed list.

Jones also took the stage mid-show with 'The Office' hottie John Krasinski to present an award, but their awkward, scripted banter made us feel a little cringey.

Tell us: Do you like January Jones' dress?

Europa

I didn't see Rita Wilson's dress until the Fashion Police show on E! last night. Wanda, you are absolutely, freak'n right! That is my new worse dress winner! And OMG!, did you see the shoes?! I know husbands aren't suppose to say anything negative in these matters ("No, Honey. You're butt doesn't look big in those pants" etc., etc.) but why the hell didn't Tom Hanks say something?! And where were her true blue girlfriends who would never let another girlfriend go out looking like that?!

August 31 2010 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda

Jones' dress was awful,as was her hair. Maybe she wears these strange getups(this isn't the first time)to separate herself from the always perfectly dressed and coiffed Betty,her character on Mad Men.But there must be a better way. The other two dresses that I thought were a hot mess were Rita Wilson's--what the hell was she thinking?--and Lauren Graham's.

August 30 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Oh yeah, the dress is hideous!! (Forgot to include that with my reply post above.) :D

August 30 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Donna

My bad; you're right. She was nominated 5 times but this was her first win.

August 31 2010 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

No, I don't. But putting that aside for a moment, I'd like to comment on the nominations in this category. I'm not saying January should have won, but don't you think it's time for Kyra to step aside so some other deserving actors can win? This is what, her 3rd Emmy, and although we all know Kyra does a fantastic job playing Brenda, it would be totally alright with me if she declined having her name placed in nomination next year!

Back to the dress! The picture above shows January looking far better than she actually did on the RC. The color looked stunning on her but the dress was shaped weirdly, and her hairstyle was a mess.

August 30 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
Europa

Um, I could be mistaken but I think this was Kyra's first Emmy win and fifth nomination over all. Considering that fact, I think she was way over due for a well deserved win.

And, even though I often feel the academy is often slow in recognizing all the people who deserve to be nominated and have a tendency to keep nominating the same people over and over and over again even after their shows have past their prime ('cough' Hugh Laurie) and even been cancelled ('cough' Julia Louis-Dreyfus), it is the academy (the actor's peers and co-workers) that decide the nominations and do the voting. I personally would have loved to have seen the actors from "Castle," "Royal Pains," and "White Collar," (just to name a few of my current favorites) nominated for some (IMO) truly outstanding work but I'm not a member of the academy. I think that's why "The People's Choice Awards" were invented.

August 30 2010 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply