August 30, 2014

AOL Television Editors Preview Fall TV: What to Watch, Skip & Try (VIDEO)

by Maggie Furlong, posted Sep 1st 2010 10:00AM
If TV critics were children, Fall TV would be the equivalent of back to school time -- a lot of work to do, but so much excitement. And there's always a little disappointment as you say goodbye to summer freedom, or in our case, to our happy vacation moods.

Of course the school of TV-watching is year-round, but fall is truly the time when the networks pull out all the stops (hopefully) and show us what they've got.

So sharpen your pencils, TV fans, because class is now in session: AOL TV Editor Kelly Woo and our newest addition, Lead Critic Mo Ryan, joined me to break down all the new fall network shows. Good ("it's sexy, it's fun") or bad ("I've fallen asleep three times trying to watch this pilot"), we were brutally honest because we want this to be your go-to guide for what to watch, what to skip and those shows that fall somewhere in between.

What new fall shows are you most excited for? Sound off in the comments.

lajr1951

IS V COMING BACK IN THE FALL LINE UP

September 03 2010 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
walkin07

Good how about some cheese with all that whine?

September 03 2010 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lita

"Hawaii Five-O." What an exciting and original idea. And CBS is also bringing us "The Defenders." Nothing like the original with E.G. Marshall. I can't wait for their exciting and original offering. "Gunsmoke," maybe? I have an idea. How about a collection of country bumpkins who become newly rich and migrate to, oh, say Beverly Hills. Let's call it "The Beverly Hill-Williams." How's that for an original idea. (CBS joins the crapfest that was largely ABC's domain for which NBC was in close contention.)

September 02 2010 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radiant

Alex O'Loughlin is a brillant and charismatic actor, who has been cast by CBS as the heroic Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-0. The top executives of CBS know what a gifted actor Alex O'Loughlin is. What happened to his two previous shows have nothing to do with him because he was superb on them, working long hours and portraying those characters perfectly. It was the nature of the shows themselves and on very difficult time slots. Hawaii Five-0 has a talented and handsome cast and will be very successful on CBS. My family, friends and I are very happy, excited and looking forward to watching Hawaii Five-0, beginning Sept. 20, 2010. We will not miss one second of H50.

September 02 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andi

Here's what I don't understand. Alex O'Loughlin has already proven that he can't carry a show -- he's had the lead in two that failed. Why is he getting yet another chance? It seems like nothing succeeds like failure on network television.

September 02 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Andi's comment
onepost

Looking forward to 5-0 I'm so ready for butt kicking cops getting a little tired of CSI type, boring no butt kicking, no hard bodies.Only place I can find hard bodies anymore is on Dancing with the stars since I refuse to pay for cable. Hope 5-0 doesn't run opposite that. Alas theres always action movies...

September 02 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? ABC never had a grip on a COP SHOW???? Can we say NYPD Blue?

September 02 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Remakes. That's a big NO in my book. BSG was okay at first, but just kept going further and further away from the original. V never really caught my eye. I will give the new 5-0 a try, but will not expect much of it. As for new shows, I won't listen to the previews. I'll give them a chance by actually watching them. I just hope the idiot programming directors don't put the shows all opposite each other.

September 02 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Perez Family

Where is the male perspective?

September 02 2010 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melinda

The Good Wife and Parenthood. They are both on at the same time, Tuesdays at 10:00. Taping and watching.

September 02 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply