November 26, 2014

Fall TV's Worst New Shows

by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 9th 2010 3:45PM
Though it's a lot of fun to point you toward Fall's Best New Shows, it's only right and proper to do the opposite as well.

After all, you have a limited amount of time on this planet and you shouldn't spend any of it watching bad TV, if you can possibly help it.

Now, keep in mind that the shows listed below may just have terrible first episodes. Theoretically, it's possible for them to progress, after they premiere, from bad to decent or even good. Stranger things have happened. But don't count on it.

So, without further ado, here are fall's least promising shows:

'Detroit 1-8-7,' premieres 10PM ET Sept. 21 on ABC: 'Sopranos' veteran Michael Imperioli, shorn of the majestic mustache he sported in 'Life on Mars,' is the only good thing about this otherwise unimpressive and derivative police procedural about detectives in the Motor City.

'My Generation,'
premieres 8PM ET Sept. 23 on ABC: An unimpressive chronicle of twentysomethings reuniting 10 years after their high school graduation. Every year, ABC churns out a few ensemble dramas like this -- empty shows full of bland, pretty people. Now that the network has a new entertainment president (Paul Lee recently replaced Stephen McPherson), I hope ABC retires that particularly tiresome formula, at least for a while.

'Outlaw,' premieres 10PM ET Sept. 15 on NBC: What a loud, lumbering collection of cliches. Jimmy Smits plays a crusading lawyer who takes on impossible cases, and he's such a blowhard that you want him to fail. I object.

'Outsourced,'
premieres 9:30PM Sept. 23 on NBC: Maybe the lesson here is that show titles starting with 'Out' are a bad idea. Still, setting a comedy in an Indian call center is not the worst idea in the world. But the entire enterprise is too tentative and tin-eared to truly make deft, daring comedy from the risky premise.

'Raising Hope,' premieres 9PM Sept. 21 on Fox: Greg Garcia's last show, 'My Name Is Earl,' was canceled abruptly, and maybe this "comedy" is his revenge on the television industry. Terrific actors Garret Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton star as the parents of hapless Jimmy (Lucas Neff), whose one-night-stand with a criminal, Lucy, leaves him with a baby daughter to raise. Gruesome spoiler alert: You'll laugh heartily at the scene where Jimmy and the baby sit in the audience at Lucy's execution. Hahahaha! Sigh.

Mo's picks for Best New Fall Shows are here.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

Shey

I'm not sure why you don't like "Raising Hope", but I wouldn't give it such a bad rep. Some people might really like it, I think it's hilarious.

October 08 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Awesome, I'm glad Outsourced is on this list. Hope it goes down fast.

September 10 2010 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brisk2010

I watched Outlaw. It was sad on so many levels. Jimmy Smits is 30 years too old for this character.

September 10 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
onewildheartfan

I dont care about these shows. I want TLC to bring back ADDICTED

September 10 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wembeley

I'm looking forward to the Jimmy Smits show. He's hot! It will really have to suck for me not to watch it.

September 10 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

By the way, every network already offers a daily show about outsourcing and it is called the News. Shows are suppose to either inform or entertain and this appears to provide neither, therefore, I will pass.

September 10 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jr

What? Is "Outsourced" too politically incorrect for you? I think it looks great and can't wait to watch it!

September 10 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cranston

I loved loved loved RAISING HOPE. As do most of the reviewers I've read. I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I thought it was hilarious and actually did laugh out loud several times. My sensibilities aren't delicate--I loved EARL and ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, DEADWOOD and THE WIRE--so maybe I'm the target audience. I think it will be a successful show for FOX. Oddly, last night I was reading another critics' "best" list, and HOPE was number 3 followed by DETROIT 187. Pick your poison.

September 10 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
afdconsult

The problem with critics is that they think their opinion is reality when it is ONLY one person's opinion and nothing more. It more often than not doesn't align to what is entertaining to the general public.

September 10 2010 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdskip4

Does anyone else notice that most of the shows that suck are on the original 3 - ABC, NBC, CBS? Maybe their writers need to look at some of the cable channels for better ideas - or perhaps, they need new writers!

September 10 2010 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mdskip4's comment
Bonnie

Thats cause the cable companies can take bigger risks with the material and language. The CW shows used to be terrible and have vastly improved, well most of them have. I still can't figure out why The Secret Life of an American Teen is so popular. From the episodes I've seen I can't work out if it's the writing or the acting that stinks, but somethings rotten in Bologna.

September 10 2010 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply