August 28, 2014

Seven Things to Know About 'Nikita' Star Maggie Q

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 9th 2010 12:00AM
Maggie QMaggie Q, the star of The CW's new spy drama 'Nikita,' may be just has mysterious to American TV audiences as her character is on the show.

Movie fans will remember her from roles in 'Mission Impossible III,' 'Live Free or Die Hard,' 'New York, I Love You' and 'Rush Hour 2,' but to TV audiences, she's a very fresh face.

Want to know what the Q in Maggie Q stands for? Or who gave her the martial arts training that's made her into such a fearsome force on 'Nikita'? Find out as we declassify Maggie Q.

1. Maggie Q is really Margaret Denise Quigley
The actress was born in Hawaii, her father is of French-Canadian, Polish and Irish decent and her mother is Vietnamese. Her parents met while her father was stationed in Vietnam. She got the Maggie Q nickname from a Hong Kong newspaper and it stuck since Asian audiences had difficulty pronouncing Quigley.

2. She's an animal rights activist
Q has been a supporter of PETA for years. She appeared in two campaigns for PETA Asia-Pacific and both involved her naked, covered in vegetables. Working on the Chinese film 'Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon,' Q refused to wear fur and her costume had to be constructed out of faux fur. In addition to her ad campaigns, PETA Asia-Pacific named Q its Person of the Year in 2007 and in 2008 she was named one of the best-dressed celebrities.

3. Jackie Chan thinks she's special
At the age of 17, Q took off for Asia. She traveled to Tokyo, Taiwan and Japan before ending up in Taipei, trying to work as a model. Q told New York Magazine that she didn't have much luck. The modeling rejections got to her and she would eat cheap food and cry in the sleazy motel room she paid for by the night. After making her way to Hong Kong, Q was tapped by Jackie Chan and trained to be an action star. "I had never done a day of martial arts in my life when I started in the business," she said. "I couldn't even touch my toes."

Maggie Q
4. Fame isn't her favorite thing

After starring in 11 films, Q said she felt like a "hunted animal" in Hong Kong. She was a mega-star there, but 'Nikita' is pretty much her introduction to mainstream American TV audiences. "I could never have a boyfriend," she told New York Magazine. "I couldn't grocery shop for myself. I got very depressed by it."

5. Bruce Willis thinks she's perfect

Q didn't have to audition for her role in 'Live Free or Die Hard.' In an interview with CNN, Q said Willis and the director offered her the part. "Bruce was basically like, look, you're it. I mean, I see you, this is you, this role. And I was like, oh, uh, OK. I had no idea what to say in response to that." Willis told BANG Showbiz he was impressed with Q's skills. "I hit her with a light-switch, I give her my best left-hook, and she gets up and I'm like, damn this girl is rough. So, she really sold it. Well done, really well done."

6. She does most of her own stunts

After receiving training from Jackie Chan, Q said she feels the need to do her own stunts. "I owe it to my audience. And I'm not 70, so I might as well while I can," she told New York Magazine. However, these stunts don't come without harm. "I got smashed in the face with a piece of two-by-four, which left one side of my face completely black for two weeks," she told Maxim UK. "I'm also deaf in one ear where my eardrum was blown out in an explosive stunt."

7. That phoenix tattoo is real

Q has a tattoo of a phoenix on her hip that often required covering up, but not for 'Nikita.' Posters for the series have Q in a very revealing outfit, the tattoo front and center. According to Zap2It, Q said the tattoo helps her character. "It's keeping with who [Nikita] is. She was that street kid, she was hard core," she said.

'Nikita' premieres Thu., Sept. 9 at 9PM ET on The CW

JOE

nikita is a wonderful show watched the pilot tonite love to see more of this wonderful actress
have her email me please!!!

September 09 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Martini

I really ejoyed her in live free or die hard, she really kicked bruce willis butt!!! She is a doll baby

September 09 2010 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
franbarb

Other bios say her father was American and his last name was Quigley - hence the Q.

September 09 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joy

As a fan of the Peta Wilson version,I can't wait to see what this is all about! Peta was about 6' ft tall and LOOKED like she could take care of business, this lady does not have that look. But I will give her the benefit of the doubt and tune in tonight.

September 09 2010 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joy's comment
chris

While I really don't like the idea of them remaking Le Femma Nikita, the original show this seems loosely tied to, I do like her. No Peta Wilson, but she did a fine job of Live Free or Die Hard.

September 09 2010 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debi johnson

i think thtis should be an awesome show. i was so sad to see la femme nikita taken off after 9/11 happened. but i felt it was taken off because they didn't want us to see how a secret agency was at work to take out the terrorists,that wasn,t really related to any military, but more likke interpol. so to see nikita free and taking vengence on the agency for killing her love, using all the skills they taught her should be very thrilling.

September 09 2010 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HighFive

She looks positively yummy.

September 09 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

I just hope this is as good as La Femme Nikita that was on TV from 1997 to 2001. This was a cCanadian production ans starred Peta Wilson. Peta was fantastic in the role.

September 09 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Eileen's comment
DAZ

you are so right! i loved peta wilson. she owned that roll. so kick ass cool!! i hate when it went off the air. some people don't remember the one peta was in and the younger gen. never heard of it.

September 09 2010 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Wasn't it on the USA network in the United States?

September 09 2010 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Maggie is beautiful, but that picture on the AOL Welcome screen? I hate to say it, but in that picture, she looks kinda like Yoko Ono, and now I have to throw up.

September 09 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nmade7

Your one hottie.

September 09 2010 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryC

Mission Impossible 3, not as good a 1 or even 2.
But why not mention her major role in "Balls of Fury", (as dumb as it was it was the best comic movie I've seen in about 10 years) or "China Dolls" where she plays a Hitman, I mean Hitwoman, I mean Hitperson.

Glad to see her get this part in Nikita, I've seen the original and the terrible remake, but I think there was already a TV show based on this franchise and it didn't work. Unfortunately it look like the first episode is going "to jump the shark", by having it start with her turning on her employers. Too bad, though, It could have been worth watching otherwise.

She definitely has the Jane Seymore / Megan Fox look though she is much better looking and much better of an actress than Megan Fox.

September 09 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply