December 22, 2014

So What Does Stephen King Think About 'The Dark Tower' Movie and Miniseries?

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 10th 2010 5:00PM
Stephen KingStephen King has been waiting patiently for several years to see his 'The Dark Tower' series come to life, but he never expected it to take the unprecedented form that was announced yesterday -- Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman will direct and write two movies and a TV series based on 'The Dark Tower.'

King told Entertainment Weekly that, although he knew the story would take multiple installments to tell, he never expected the franchise plan that Howard and Goldsman came up with. "I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn't see this solution coming - i.e., several movies and TV series," he said. "It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]'s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution."

One thing Howard and Goldsman won't have to work too hard on: the cast. King said he's already got the perfect actors picked out. "The Twilight cast, of course!" he joked. "Just kidding. I haven't got as far as casting in my thoughts, but when I write about Susannah Dean, I always kind of see Angela Bassett in my mind's eye. Mostly I just want good people in those parts. Ron Howard will find them, I'm sure."

Though the movies will allow Howard and Goldsman quite a bit of creative freedom, it might be difficult to show all of the series' blood on network television. "I don't see that as a problem at all! We'll have just enough latitude to make a great series," he said. "I've worked in network TV before, and every time I was squeezed a little, it just made me look for creative solutions. Besides, I always like to play in the biggest auditorium available!"

Lisa

Wow, I thought this would never happen. I am looking forward to seeing both the films and the miniseries. Dark Tower fans should keep an open mind and expect the best from Howard!

September 12 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

"Stephen King has been waiting patiently for several years to see his 'The Dark Tower' series come to life"

- I'm sure as a writer the suggestion his writing isn't good enough to make the story 'come to life' and it needs to be turned into movie for that to happen will be greatly appreciated.....

September 11 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anthony's comment
Craig Ranapia

@Anthony: Not really sure what your issue is here -- King has a very healthy sense of self-esteem. He's long said that Sergio Leone's "spaghetti westerns" and Kurosawa were as big influences on the Dark Tower books as any literary source, but he never thought anyone could bring their epic scope and complexity to the screen. Of course, this could all turn into a horrible train-wreck, but you've got to give Howard and Goldsman credit for even trying. King certainly can.

September 11 2010 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Bad idea. Should have been a Showtime or HBO series. As a movie this will fail.

September 11 2010 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YouFaceTheTick's comment
Craig Ranapia

Why? Of course, it could turn into the mother of all train-wrecks -- big ambitions inevitably come with the risk of falling on your arse in front of the whole world. But anyone remember when the conventional wisdom was that the Lord of The Rings trilogy was going to be the final nail in the coffin of New Line?

September 11 2010 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc Sylvester

Awesome!
I'm always afraid when they start casting for a Stephen King movie (Molly Ringwald as Frannie in The Stand!)

... but his comment about Angela Bassett I think is perfect! Looking forward to this!

September 10 2010 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply