October 23, 2014

First Look at HBO's 'Game of Thrones'

by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 12th 2010 9:35PM
HBO aired promotional material for a bunch of upcoming programs before the 'True Blood' finale Sunday, but for some of us, there was only one show we cared about (apologies to 'Eastbond & Down,' 'Bored to Death,' etc.).

Those of us who have been awaiting 'Game of Thrones,' which premieres in 2011, got their first extensive looks at the epic, which stars Lena Headey, Sean Bean, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Michelle Fairley, Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance, Jason Momoa, Emilia Clarke, Aiden Gillen and Mark Addy.

The image at right is of Clarke as Daenerys, the exiled aristocrat whose coming of age is one of the main threads of 'Game of Thrones.' The first season of the HBO series is based on the first in a series of fantasy novels by George R.R. Martin.

The videos that aired Sunday on HBO are below.The first video is a behind-the-scenes piece: It contains interviews with Martin, Bean and executive producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff, as well as various shots of the Belfast-area sets and the cast in costume.

The second video is HBO's 'Raven' promo spot, which has a few delectable shots from the series:

Just for kicks, here's the previous 'GoT' promo that HBO unveiled in June:

What do you think, 'GoT' fans? I don't know about you but the glimpses I saw Sunday got me even more excited about the show, which I wrote about extensively in my previous job. You can find all those stories here.

There's also a new production diary on HBO's 'Game of Thrones' site, so superfans will want to bookmark that site. On that site, Benioff and Weiss wrote a note to fans:

"The enthusiasm for the show was palpable before a single actor was cast or a frame shot," they wrote. "Trust us: the Powers That Be noticed. And so did we. When we spend two hours discussing the details of the House Bolton sigil or the hilt of a certain Valyrian steel dagger or the content of a few pages from 'The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms' that won't be onscreen for more than a second – sometimes we wonder if anyone will notice. But someone will. You guys will. And it makes all the difference knowing there are people out there who care as much about this story as we do. We all want to get it right."

I'll no doubt be stopping by the fan sites Winter Is Coming, Westeros and Tower of the Hand to see what the general reaction of Martin's extensive and passionate fandom has to say.

Update
: If I have one concern, it's that Daenerys' hair seems very, very white-blond, perhaps a tad too blond? That seems to be something of a concern with fans (who appear to be generally positive in their reactions to what they've seen). But I'm not really that bothered about it at this stage. My thinking is that it's really not possible to evaluate how her hair and makeup look until we see completed episodes. And besides, everything else looks pretty fab.

So far I'm in agreement with Martin himself, who said in the behind-the-scenes video that the people producing the show "got it right." He was also quoted as saying that setting foot on the set for the first time was like seeing one of his dreams come to life.

Your thoughts?

Robert Rosado

do well -<a href="http://www.finepoloshirts.com/burberry-replicas-1515.html">fine Burberry dress</a>

May 16 2011 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GameofThronesJoe

Hi Maureen,

I'm very excited about the show. So much so that I've created a fan audition that's been getting a bit of buzz on the Game of Thrones fan-sites (winter-is-coming.net, westeros.org). I'd love it if you checked it out, and if you like it, please spread the word!

Joseph Campo
thrones@josephcampo.net

September 26 2010 at 5:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xof1013

It is "Aidan" Gillen, not "Aiden" Gillen. Tks!

September 13 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suedo558

I just may have to turn my cable back on!

September 13 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silverjaime

Glad you're as enthusiastic as we are! As for Daenarys' hair - it's meant to be silver, and her eyes are meant to be amethyst - maybe we'll see this is post production? but I think her hair is pretty good.

September 13 2010 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Silverjaime's comment
AO

Daenerys' hair is meant to be a mixture of silver & blond actually. That's how it's described in the books, and is how she's depicted in official merchandise that Martin has authorized, like the Valyrian Resin Bust.

September 13 2010 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo Ryan

Chris, there is another book on the way. Martin is working on the next volume in the series. He talks about that here:

September 13 2010 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Ranapia

Re: Daenerys' hair. I suspect it's as simple as the photos either being shot (or digitally processed) to look very "cold" and bleached out.

September 12 2010 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I only hope that HBO doesn't change too much like Starz did with Pillars of the Earth. The last hour of that series totally ruins the rest since they changed the ending for a lot of the main characters.

September 12 2010 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punksrus

I just hope this lights a fire under George Martin's butt!! It has been way too long since the last book was published...Please Mr. Martin we need a new book!!

September 12 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
6 replies to punksrus's comment
Sareeta

The behind-the-scenes video was nice because we got some interesting comments from the creators, including George Martin himself, and Sean Bean. Also we got to see almost all the characters. Dany was the most visually striking with her white hair. I'm guessing there will be a lot of debate about her hair and makeup. Hopefully we'll get frequent updates and a new, longer trailer soon.

September 12 2010 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply