October 23, 2014

J-Lo to Pocket $12 Million as a Judge on 'American Idol'

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 13th 2010 11:00AM
Jennifer LopezIt pays to be a diva when it comes to contract negotiation. That is, as long as Deadline Hollywood's report about Jennifer Lopez's 'American Idol' deal is true.

J-Lo is set to receive $12 million for her stint as the newest judge on 'Idol.' Yeah, yeah, yeah, she hasn't officially been announced as a judge yet, but when it comes to this show, the loudest rumors have all been true. So it looks like Lopez will be joined at the judges' table by veteran Randy Jackson and fellow newbie Steven Tyler.

According to Deadline, Lopez first met with 'Idol' producers in June and signed on in July, but has spent the weeks since then trying to wring as much as she could out of the deal. While she initially wanted an Old Hollywood-style picture deal -- a guaranteed movie and TV development projects -- which studios just don't grant these days, she settled for a paltry $12 million payout instead.

The reason the official announcement of her judgeship hasn't come yet, even though it's clear the lineup has been set, is allegedly because J-Lo wants it to coincide with the release of her newest single in mid-September.

Does J-Lo deserve the deal? Are you excited to see her as an 'American Idol' judge?

John

How many women can be stars at singing, dancing and acting and look great too?
Only the jealous would knock her.

September 14 2010 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

You people are ALL boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think JLo would make a great judge. Her singing is ok but not that great seems kinda of slutty to me. Other wise she is just as good as anyone else and I will watch her along with Steven Tyler. However, I would of LOVED to see Bret Michaels but he has had health problems n may not be reliable. I can't wait to see JLo and Steven. Poor Randy, how do you think he feels with his co-workers leaving him. Stop hating people your more boring than they are. Get over it there are staying!

September 14 2010 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I think J-Lo would be GREAT as an Idol Judge! She knows what it's like to start from the bottom and work your way up the top! She can identify with the Contestants because 'she's been there, done that!' She's a TRIPLE THREAT since she can dance, sing and act. If you don't like her, that's your prerogative, but you can't take away the fact that J-Lo has the talent and she is certainly more qualified to be a Judge than Ellen Degeneres, who has no musical talent. Ellen did the right thing when she resigned because she is a great Talk Show Host who makes people laugh!

September 13 2010 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adel

no talent,no acting skill,not a good singer bring a well known person that knows about singin I'M NOT WATCHING THE AI THIS YEAR THEY GOR RID OF A NOT TALENT ELLEN AND THEY BRING ANOTHER ONE OH LORD HAVE MERCY

September 13 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zeza2010

I wish she would just go away ....she is so selfish ...how much money does she need ....she got 6 million to show off those ugly little monsters....she is a horrible mother ....she is here /there but never at home being a true mom.... HATE HER MERE EXISTENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 13 2010 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda

JLo and Steven Tyler! C'mon now. He's older than dirt, and she is going to take attention away from the contestants. I don't think either one of them are going to add anything to the show. This is the worse lineup for judges they could get. Oh, she's a so so actress, and so so singer, and I don't see her adding constructive critisim to Idol. This judging panel is a dud.

September 13 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CONNIE

NO ONE IS WORTH 12 MILLION. BUT GENE SIMMONS AND BRET MICHAELS WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER - ALOT MORE VIEWERS WOULD BE TUNING IN INSTEAD OF TUNING OUT

September 13 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lin

Well, Paula Abdul had fabulous success as a singer/dancer, and her performance as an Idol judge was utterly inane and almost useless. Ditto some of the guest judges who've been featured. So I wouldn't write Lopez off till I hear her critiques. BTW, while I don't care for the types of singing she's done, some of her acting work has been pretty darned good -- e.g. "Out of Sight" and "Angel Eyes." And she certainly know more about music than Ellen! We'll see.

September 13 2010 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annettet34

you are telling me that a woman that had to have 8 vocal coaches work with her, just to get through her first album, is qualified to judge singing talent?? I like her but she CAN"T sing!

September 13 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

Really like American Idol and J-Lo has made some good movies as well as some awesome songs. However I just don't think she looks or fits the part of an American Idol judge. I think Bret Michaels would be really great as a judge and he wanted to do it. He's just a nice guy and knows music. But come on J-Lo no way and for that amount of $$$, are they CRAZY?. If it weren"t for my boy Steve Tyler being on Idol this year I probably would nit watch it until like the last couple of episodes if at all.

September 13 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply