October 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Man, Woman, Wild' - Ruth and Mykel Are Beaten by the Alaskan Wilderness (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Sep 13th 2010 12:04AM
'Man, Woman, Wild' - Ruth and Mykel Are Beaten by the Alaskan WildernessYou would think that winter would be the most dangerous time of year in Alaska. But on the latest 'Man, Woman, Wild' (Fri., 9PM ET on Discovery), husband-and-wife team Mykel Hawke and Ruth England discover that the spring thaw season can be even worse. While exploring the remote bush country, the couple's snowmobile breaks down. Now, they must tough it out for four days, with only the clothes on their backs and a single knife as their survival tool.

The pair salvage what they can from their busted snowmobile. They cut off the vehicle's treads, and turn those into snowshoes. Spark plugs from the snowmobile are used to start a fire. They make a hut out of snow, and use their knife to cut the inner bark out of trees -- which they then use as food. (This is what the Native Americans used to eat sometimes as well.)

But in the end, Alaska's spring thaw defeats them. It's hard to walk in the slushy snow. Their hut begins to melt. Mykel and Ruth have been working themselves to the point of exhaustion -- an easy mistake to make, because the sun is up for nearly 16 hours a day, messing with their sense of time.

Suddenly, a storm is on the way. Planes barely fly over that section of Alaska during the springtime, so Mykel calls for a helicopter rescue. The couple flee the bush country and manage to escape. "Basically, Alaska whupped us," Mykel says. "My motto is 'never quit,'" he adds: but he ends up quitting anyway, rather than risking his life and his partner Ruth's life. It's hard to feel that concerned about a couple who are surrounded by camera crews at all times. Still, the show makes it clear that surviving in the "Last Frontier" is tougher than you would imagine.

Darkness

Ruth get progressively more and more whiney and annoying, shrieking and hitching constantly. They eventually get cancelled.

August 28 2012 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

I just watched the episode about them being in the desert and Ruth collapsing from no water and possible sun stroke. I find it absolutely ridiculous when going out on a run, hike, car ride, anything in general without the basics. I have been in the military and even when I go for a simple bike ride I carry water, cell phone, id, and even a small pocket knife. This man has been in the military and they should always start out with the basics when going out anywhere on an trip or expedition. Being in the military has taught me to always be prepared and I just don't think he is teaching his wife and viewers properly the simple things to even avoid some pitfalls.

September 20 2010 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Talkeetnaman

I saw this Alaska show and laughed. I carry a survival pack all the time snowmachining. It has fire starters, space bag, space blanket, flashlight, saw and some snacks. I also always have a space bag and flint/steel/ magnesium in my pocket in case I go through the ice. The they traveled in the day when it was warm and the snow was soft. Travel at night and sleep in the day. OH I carry a headlamp in the pack with an LED light that runs on 4 D Cells, good for 250 hours.

September 18 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob parks

This show is so phony. I can't stand it.

September 13 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deano

Four days? Four WHOLE days? you can "survive" on just water for 30 days. these "reality" shows are a fricken joke.

September 13 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wendy o

what a phoney! 3 days in the wilderness but no beard growth??

September 13 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex Reed

Well if you play with matches, sooner or later your going to get burned.. Just like that crocodile guy... Don't F**k with nature..........

September 13 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

It's hard to feel that concerned about a couple who are surrounded by camera crews at all times. Yup that pretty much says it about them.

September 13 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I saw that phoney and his wife swim across a river in one episode, he looked ragged when he got out of the water,then with camera still on in the next shot his hair was perfectly combed, he's the biggest phony I've seen yet,I think that show sucks and should be taken off

September 13 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Brian

The show is edited. If they showed us the whole thing and we watched his hair dry and get combed, the show would be ten hours long.

September 13 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply