October 25, 2014

'America's Got Talent' Season 5, Episode 31 Recap (Video)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Sep 15th 2010 1:15AM
America's Got Talent['America's Got Talent' - 'Top 4 Performance Show']

"People please vote." - Howie

Howie almost sounded like a broken record when he said over and over again that it was important that America voted after the live show. And he's right. Every vote counts and, based on the few polls we've done here at TV Squad, it would take only a handful of votes to sway the win from one act to another!

The Top 4 acts had one last chance to impress America. Did they? Most did but one act got Xed! Yes, an X in the finals!!! The answer as to who got Xed and how the others performed is coming up!

- Prince Poppycock, singer (official website): Even before Piers Xed Poppycock and explained why he did so, we all knew that this serious act could rub some viewers the wrong way and could cost Poppycock some votes. Even if his "knight in shining armor" act was less silly and extravagant than his previous performances, Prince Poppycock offered a solid vocal performance with a theatrical stage setting. Piers explained that his X was because Prince blew it by performing a number that was too serious. He added that the whole point of Prince Poppycock was to have fun. Sharon mentioned that America was voting, not Piers. Howie finished it off by wondering if America would embrace this less funny performance. If you want to learn more about how Prince Poppycock came to life and about the man behind the makeup, read our "Prince Poppycock From 'America's Got Talent': Who Is This Guy?" post.

- Michael Grimm, singer (official website): All three judges loved Michael's rendition of 'When a Man Loves a Woman.' Grimm is a good singer and performer. However, he's not unique. Try this exercise: Go to YouTube and look for Michael Bolton's version of 'When a Man Loves a Woman' and close your eyes while listening to it. Then find Grimm's performance of the song and close your eyes while listening. It's the exact same thing, no? Grimm has a voice that is almost a perfect copy of Bolton! Michael Grimm is not fresh and unique enough to win 'AGT.'

- Jackie Evancho, singer (official website): The little angel once again offered us a flawless performance that was really peaceful. She is mesmerizing. Piers was pretty vocal that he supports Jackie for the win.

The hottest variety acts from the season preformed together: Harmonica Pierre, Michael & Ashley, Michael Grasso, Haspop, Anna & Patryk, and Studio One Young Beast Society. They surely practiced their performances quite a bit because they were flawless and quite entertaining. The most impressive portion of the act was when magician Grasso made Haspop as well as Anna & Patryk appear in his box.

- Fighting Gravity, novelty act (official website): They offered us a fun "neighbors" story with the blue and the red guys. However, it missed the wow factor that we've seen in previous acts, especially when they made a mistake near the end. As Piers said, no matter what happens this week, their act will be in Vegas. Fighting Gravity is unique and offers performances that are perfect for Las Vegas.

My pick would be Prince Poppycock with Jackie being a very close second. Based on your own personal preferences, who do you think should win the competition (which may be different than who you think will win)? Vote in our poll below!

Who do you think should win 'America's Got Talent'?
Prince Poppycock1232 (25.3%)
Jackie Evancho2185 (45.0%)
Fighting Gravity713 (14.7%)
Michael Grimm730 (15.0%)

On a side note, TVSquad.com is giving away tickets in 12 major cities where the 'AGT' tour will perform. Click here to learn more about this exciting giveaway!

The live two-hour finale will air Wed. Sept. 15, 8PM ET on NBC.

[Follow @icarreau on Twitter]

jan

I'm shocked that so many people are shocked that Michael Grimm won. He's been my favorite since early on. Jackie didn't change that. She's got an amazing voice, but she's not my favorite. The fact that she is too young for Vegas did not keep me from voting for her. The fact that Michael is supposedly a clone of Michael Bolton did not keep me from voting for him. I voted for my favorite, and apparently so did most of America or he would not have won. For me, he was the best act and worthy of the win. Anyway, who is the best is a matter of opinion. We all have different tastes. Close my eyes and hear Michael Bolton when he sings??? I never listen to Michael Bolton, so how would I know that? Or even care? Michael Grimm was amazing every time he took to the stage. Sure, be disappointed that your favorite didn't win, but why rain on his parade as so many people are doing. Michael Grimm is the best IMO, and apparently in a big hunk of America's opinion as well! Congratulations Michael!!

September 16 2010 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Jackie is clearly the most talented performer in the Top 4, but just because of that doesn't necessarily make her a great Vegas act. She should eventually be studying at Juilliard and traveling around the world performing at opera houses. Ugh, Poppycock will probably win nevertheless.

September 15 2010 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Folks, there is no Vegas act for the winner. They will perform one show in Vegas as part of the multi-city tour. That's it. I wish AGT would make this clearer. And all of the top ten will be included in the tour, so Jackie will be appearing in Vegas.

September 15 2010 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

You guys must not understand that the winner will headline an act in Vegas. Jackie is simply TOO YOUNG for Vegas. She's 10! Vegas is for adults, when she isn't performing then what else would she do there? NOTHING. Everything is for adults and most of the time shows are performed at night. I wouldn't want my little child performing in vegas. She isn't a vegas type of act either, I can't see all party people in Vegas wanting to go see a 10 year old opera singer. If the Vegas thing wasn't apart of the show then it would be different but that is one of the main things they win. Poppycock and Fighting Gravity are VEGAS. People would go see them.

September 15 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

The show just needs to dump the entire "headline a show in Vegas" angle and just award the money and maybe some type of agency contract. This way there's no doubt about who's the title of the show. But the fact a Vegas show is included really changes the entire thing. I've been to a bunch of Vegas shows and no way a 10yr old Opera singer would be a draw, even if you surrounded her with yet another Cirque Du Soleil act. The girl definitely is a huge talent, though I'd see Poppycock or Gavity in Vegas.

September 15 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debo

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Jackie in Vegas. She is way too young to be performing there and her talent is not for Vegas. Besides that she gives me the creeps! Prince Poppycock and Gravity are both very unique and have Vegas written all over them. GO PRINCE POPPYCOCK!!!

September 15 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I really enjoyed the performance where "all" the ones that had been voted off from the top ten performed. However, where was Jeremy???? Anyone know???

September 15 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Katie

They didn't show all of the people that got voted off. He just said some of the best varity acts that have been on the show. They couldn't have everyone back on and Jeremy isn't something that exciting.

September 15 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Jackie is way too young to headline a show in Vegas and I'm hoping she doesn't win. I really dread to think what would become of her in that hedonistic world. I'd like to see her have a career like Charlotte Church did when she was very young instead.

As for "Fighting Gravity" and "Prince Poppycock", I'm sure both of them will do extremely well in Vegas even if neither wins.

I love Michael Grimm, but you're right Isabelle. He IS a Michael Bolton clone. I knew there was something familiar about him but couldn't put my finger on it until you, in your infinite wisdom, pointed that out!

September 15 2010 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobbi

i am very upset because i could not vote - lines were all busy - hope my favorite wins wihout my votes

September 15 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJGinCA

Jackie Evancho has tons of talent, but the drawback is the winner gets to go to Vegas. I really don't see Jackie being a "Vegas" type performer. I don't think Sin City is ready for a 10-year old headliner, not to mention the stamina needed for a 90-minute show, and what about the child labor laws? Sorry, Jackie, you're terrific, but the prize isn't for you.

September 15 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RJGinCA's comment
Pat

A 10 year old girl headlining in Vegas? Really? Not if she was my granddaughter! I have doubts about any opera singer doing well there, even Poppycock, but at least he's old enough to decide for himself.

September 15 2010 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply