April 24, 2014

On the Scene: 'America's Got Talent' Final 4 Shocker! Piers Strikes Prince Poppycock!

by Michael Maloney, posted Sep 15th 2010 12:00PM
America's Got Talent FinalistsPint-size opera singer Jackie Evancho and soul crooner Michael Grimm gave knockout performances in the season 5 finals of 'America's Got Talent.' But missteps from Fighting Gravity and Prince Poppycock may have hurt their chances of winning the competition show's million dollar prize.

Judge Piers Morgan stood by his decision to give Poppycock, an audience favorite, a strike.

"I have to be honest," Morgan told TV Squad. "I buzz when I think they can't progress any further. [Poppycock] blew it big time. He lost the humor that he had in his act. He's an OK [opera singer,] but opera is not his bag. When Jackie [Evancho] sang 'Ave Maria' it became a different kettle of fish altogether."

Morgan wasn't surprised by judge Sharon Osbourne's passionate defense of Poppycock. "She lives for Poppycock," Morgan said.

"What does it really serve?" pondered host Nick Cannon about the controversial strike. "But ... he's Piers! I thought Sharon was going to hit him."

"It was inappropriate," Osbourne declared. "Let these guys, who have worked so hard, have their moment. Yes, Piers is entitled to his opinion. But don't buzz [Poppycock.] I could see his face. It really threw him. We're going to be seeing Piers every night on CNN. Isn't that enough? Five days a week. Oh, no! It's repeated on the weekends. Enough!"

"I don't know that it was Prince Poppycock's best performance," judge Howie Mandel said. "It was toned down from the semi-finals. It wasn't as 'flashy.' That being said, in no way in my wildest dreams do I believe that he was deserving of an strike."

Ironically, Poppycock's first choice wasn't to sing the opera 'Nessun Dorma.' The performer's preferred song ('Nature Boy') wasn't approved by the song's publisher. "I really want to do it," he lamented. "I ended on opera because I started with opera. I thought it was a finale type song. I wanted to give a fairy tale ending to what's been a fairy tale journey."

As for Osbourne taking his side, Poppycock said, "I love Sharon. I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without her support and encouragement. I felt one person was going to be buzzed [in the finals] no matter what because it creates drama. Piers was being divisive and he was creating good television."

Fighting Gravity lost points (but escaped Morgan's trigger finger) when one of the members of their group was seen when he wasn't supposed to be. (It happened towards the end of their act so perhaps Morgan didn't have time to hit the buzzer.)

Still, Gregg Curtain and Andy Farrell of the group were pleased with their performance. "It went really well," Curtain said. "We went out with a bang and we hope America likes what we did. Piers noticed a little hiccup at the end. We didn't. I guess something went wrong. We'll go back and watch the video."

"The space we have to perform isn't really that big," Farrell noted. "We have to be very precise. The mishap happened when someone got an elbow or torso [shown to the audience] that we just didn't see."

The group has Curtain to thank for being on the show. He submitted a video of the group's act to 'AGT' producers. "I was sitting at my computer at 2AM one night [and sent it in]," Curtain said. "We're excited to go on tour."

Morgan said he feels that, based on the finals, Evancho is the one to beat. "That kid is an unbelievable world class talent."

What about Grimm? "He's brilliant," Morgan said. "He's got a great career no matter what happens. He's like a young Van Morrison."

"I gave it all I could," Grimm said. "I was a bit nervous after Prince Poppycock got buzzed. I was very scared going out on stage after that."

Morgan began nodding in approval after Grimm began singing 'When a Man Loves a Woman.' "That song fits in the genre of what I do, which is soul music," Grimm said. "I dedicated it to my girlfriend, Lucie, who was in the audience. We're going on three years."

Win or lose Grimm hopes to take away a following from his 'AGT' experience. "I can walk back into the record labels and say, 'Now, I have a fan base,'" he said.

Evancho enhanced her act by adding musicians to her performance. "It felt weird," she said. "I'm used to being on stage alone. It was different, but also nice. I felt happy. [Piers] and the other judges have helped me realize my dream."

Drwe G

Piers Morgan tried to throw it to Jackie. Shame for him for buzzing Poppycock at a prime moment of the song. That threw him off. Based on performance, Grimm was going to win but piers selfish act probably moved Poppycock from second to fourth. Piers is trash and I will not watch AGT next year if he is a judge. Definitely will not watch CNN.

September 16 2010 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drwe G

September 16 2010 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

What took Pierce so long to strike this guy? Did he have a moment of clarity? He is almost always pretty much up front and open, as to what is entertaining and what is curious. I think we already had a Boy George; but this Poppycock is exactly that, the name is perfect for this guy. His creativity and presentation while performing, gives me the creeps? Sharon and Howie seem to have, "The Emperors Cloths Are Magnificent Syndrome". He would get old real fast, as a Vegas act. No one in their right mind could sit through several hours of Poppycock, I would go running for the exit after the first 10 minutes of torture. Though I will say, he seems like a very nice person, with a lot of passion, as well colorful; but he is far to robotic in his very simple movements, like a Tin Soldier and only has a mediocre singing voice, I just don't see the entertainment value there.

September 15 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dutchy

I don't like Jackie singing, she doesn't use her natural voice. You can hear that when she tries to hit the low notes.
But to be honest, she is an incredible singer and with a few more years she has a big future in the opera world.

My hopes are for Prince Poppycock. I would love it to see him singing Nature Boy, that song would have been perfect. Too bad he took a gamble with Nessun Dorma, an heavy and very tough song. He did it alright, but not with the wow-factor like Paul Potts did on BGT.

September 15 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dutchy's comment
James

What is it that you like most about Poppycock? Just curious?

September 15 2010 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z3Relic

Pierce was right about Poppycock. I mean, he was wrong to buzz I think, but from the start of his act he just wasn't who he seemed through the entire show. Poppycock was being too serious and not doing his energetic show. He seemed to be mostly just singing, not dancing. He was just in costume walking around. And when it comes to a straight off singing battle of the opera singers, Jackie wins.

I should note that I'm not really a Poppycock fan, and wanted Fighting Gravity to win, though I know that Jackie will.

September 15 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce Walters

1. In her semifinal interview, 10-year-old opera phenom Jackie Evancho said she would use her prize money to "help the animals."

2. Simon Cowell, executive producer of "America's Got Talent" is a known crusader for animal rights extremist groups.

3. Cowell "discovered" Carrie Underwood, who is a spokesperson for the animal rights extremist group Humane Society Of The United States.

4. During the 10-act final, Sara McLaughlin, another spokesperson for the Humane Society Of The United States, also performed.

Do the math. The Animal Rights Mafia is pushing Evancho.

September 15 2010 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bruce Walters's comment
Z3Relic

I could have sworn she just said that she wanted a pony, not save the animals. I think you're thinking a tad too much in to it.

September 15 2010 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hillary, HSUS

The "Animal Rights Mafia"? Seriously? Anyone who's interested in getting more information about the "radical" issues our organization tackles should go to humanesociety.org. You'll find programs and campaigns to combat dogfighting, puppy mills, factory farming, animals used for fur, Canada's seal hunt, etc.

September 16 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply