September 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Wynonna Judd Has Some Sibling Rivalry With Her Sister Ashley (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Sep 15th 2010 12:01AM
Wynonna Judd Has Some Sibling Rivalry With Her Sister AshleyCountry music singers Wynonna and Naomi Judd were the guests on the latest 'Oprah Winfrey Show' (weekdays, syndicated). Mother Naomi and sisters Wynonna and Ashley Judd have been on 'Oprah' a startling eighteen times, dating back to their first appearance in 1990. But on their latest appearance, there was a little tension between Wynonna and Ashley -- even though Ashley wasn't actually in the studio.

Why wasn't Ashley there? Because she's currently in the Congo, on a humanitarian mission to work against violence towards women. Mom Naomi gushed about this. "I'm so proud of my daughter," she said. But Wynonna seemed less excited: "She's got time [to go to the Congo]; she don't have kids." Okay then.

Next, Naomi switched things up a little, beaming over the fact that Ashley has received a master's degree from Harvard University. "That is such an accomplishment ... and [she's] still working and acting and traveling," Oprah replied. Once again, Wynonna seemed less than happy about listening to extended praise for her sister. She attempted to counter with an accomplishment of her own: "I cleaned out my closet," she said. "Yay!" said Oprah.

S ue

Wynonna's great and took it all very well. I loved her come-backs...very funny! She's very talented, so don't worry about her!

September 15 2010 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to S ue's comment
aca

I grew up in Nashville and knew Wynona (Christina), her sister Ashley and the mother Naomi (Diana). There is not another sister.

In the early 1980's, Naomi was a pot-head, Wynona was oddly, childishly, dependent on the woman and then would go to the opposite extreme and rebel. I remember Naomi leaving Wynona to "baby-sit" a 13 year old Ashley for an entire weekend. Instead Wynona left the kid alone for 3 days while she ran off to Atlanta with my boyfriend. As soon as she and Joe got to Atlanta she ditched him for some dude she met in a club. When she called Joe 3 days later for a ride back to Nashville, he laughed and told her to hook for a bus ticket. Nice. Never did find out how she made it home.

He later ended up in bed with Ashley too. Said she was too drunk to f*** though. (And yes I dumped him after the Atlanta trip he took).

Wynona was an arrogant, hateful person as a teen. And even back then had the transvestite look that she has now perfected. Ashley was just known for being a very pretty, pretty stupid, promiscuous, drunk teen.

I'm just glad I didn't have Naomi for a mother.

November 15 2010 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen Vaughan

I would think that Wynonna has had a lot of family stuff to deal with -- such as, being told at a very late date, that she was born to a different father than her two sisters -- which no one bothered to tell her about.

September 15 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tena

It's tough competing with a sibling who is seemingly perfect. However, thank God we are all not made from the same mold or it would be a very dull world.

September 15 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cager97

Wynonna...Wynonna...Wynonna.

Why the "green-eyed monster" routine?
You are extremely proficient in your career! You have
please millions with your voice and songs!
Let Ashley alone!! She's trying to help the world in her own way!!

Oh, and by the way, that comment that you made about Taylor Swift when she received so many awards, you said something to the effect of, "Don't get used to this, you are very young to be getting so many awards so soon." Really BAD, BAD TASTE, Wynonna!!

Envy is not a good color on you!!

September 15 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Once again, our infamous media making something out of nothing. I saw the humor in the whole situation and did not detect any rivalry or jealousy.

September 15 2010 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve cates

Wynonna first needs to cut that nasty-looking hair!@! She would look 30 pounds lighter..

September 15 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JACQUELINE

Well you can nearly feel, much less see, the animosity on Wynona's persona. Wynona's 'pouty' expression is way over too.....she should grow up and be more accepting.

September 15 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

If that big brown beaver could only talk......oh....my mistake....it did

September 15 2010 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hattie Crabtree

Maybe its a good thing Ashley has no kids.I knew a gal that worked out in LA.Ashley isn't easy to work for.

September 15 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lita

Thank goodness Ashley was able to escape the effect of their creepy mother. Sadly Wynonna wasn't so lucky. I've seen that mother-daughter conflict between Naomi and Wynonna on a past Oprah show or two and it left me feeling unwashed. Wynonna needs to put some distance between herself and her mother, and find a heavy-duty therapist to undo the damage that has been done her.

September 15 2010 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply