November 27, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Ben Affleck Is Afraid of Flying, But Has Two REALLY Good Reasons Why (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Sep 16th 2010 2:46AM
Ben Affleck Is Afraid of Flying, But Has Two REALLY Good Reasons WhyActor Ben Affleck suffers from "Pteromerhanophobia," or -- in layman's terms -- "Fear of Flying." This is an extremely common phobia shared by millions of people around the world. Being afraid to fly is a complex psychological disorder that can have many possible causes. In Ben's case, though, the reasons why are very very simple.

On 'The Tonight Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC), Affleck explained to Jay Leno how his fear first arose. Ben actually started working as a child actor at a very young age. When he was 9 years old, he went on a flight to Washington D.C by himself ... which is when the plane got hit by lightening and the engine caught on fire.

According to Ben, the plane had to head in for an emergency landing -- and at this point, things got even worse. The night before, the 9-year-old Affleck had randomly seen a frightening TV program about child molesters. "It scared the lights out of me," he said. And so, as a terrified, crying Ben sat in a flaming plane that was zooming toward the ground, he noticed a potentially creepy man sitting next to him. The man then turned and said: "You know, if we land, they'll put us in a hotel. Don't worry -- you can stay with me."

Ugh. Fire, lightening, and a possible molester. These all sound like good reasons for avoiding riding on an airplane ever again. To his credit, though, Ben has since tried to overcome his "Pteromerhanophobia." Good for him!

(And by the way, here is a list of other celebrities who are afraid to fly. You are not alone, Mr. Affleck!)

Sonia

Horse face needs to grow back that mustache to hide his lip and chin.

September 16 2010 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justme

Glad Ben finaly got a job.

September 16 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob parks

What a puss. And, by the way, can't this sissy afford a razor?

September 16 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janna nikkola

I don't happen to "LIKE" flying, but too many people make the assumption that I'm AFRAID to fly, which I am not. What I don't like about flying: (1) being treated like so much cattle at the airport and by the airline ("line up here, take your shoes off there, don't lock your bags, we may need to inspect them", etc.; (2) sitting in uncomfortable seats, all too close to strangers coughing and wheezing during the flight and having to use strange bathrooms; (3) it's such a hassle getting to the airport, having to drive to a shuttle bus and parking my car there, then taking the bus 40 miles to the airport, then hauling my baggage from the bus drop-off point to the terminal (often in the rain); having to arrive at the airport 90 minutes before my flight, allowing one hour travel time to the airport, etc. (4) by the time I arrive at my destination, I'm exhausted. (5) During the winter months, having to sit in a closed-in airplane cabin and breathing recycled air from all the other people on the plane with colds, flu or some other contagious disease, I'm invariably sick two weeks after the flight. Plus, it bugs the heck out of me that all the stupid security measures that millions of people have to endure (taking off our shoes) now all came about when airport security personnel at Logan Airport in Boston did not listen to their instincts even when "the hair on the back of my neck stood up" and let two Arab men on the plane, even though at least one of them had serious concerns about them. At the time, Logan Airport was notorious for their lax security and there were frequent news stories about it, which is of course, why the terrorists chose Logan Airport. So how many airports are there in this tiny state of Massachusetts that no one was paying attention or doing anything to tighten up security? Who was responsible -- the mayor of Boston, the governor of Massachusetts, senators or congressmen from Massachusetts? Whomever was responsible, millions of travelers suffer the consequences of this weak link. So that's why I HATE to fly -- and I'm NOT afraid to fly!

September 16 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Ben would look a hell of a lot better if he shaved every day, got rid of that 5 o'clock shadow look that has become so popular.

September 16 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

Funny story...During a flight years ago, there was turbulence. I was in first class and was upset that I had to sit beside a "boss hog" looking kind of character. Yes, back then I was bigoted (foolish, I know). We both were not pleased to have to sit beside one another. There was a bump and the plane dropped, due to an air pocket. I was up out of my seat and into this man's lap and clung to him in fear. It is funny now that I think back on it. I was literally on his lap with my arms locked around him with my face buried in his fleshy neck. It was very bumpy for about 10 of the most scariest moments of my life! HAHAHA! When the flight was over, he offered to take me to my hotel. (Out of kindness and nothing more or less) I declined, as I had a girlfriend waiting for me at the airport. It is hilarious when I think back on it. In the face of fear, our prejudices are forgotten. It should be this way all of the time. I have worked on myself and am not the same bigoted woman that I used to be. Although I fly often, I am terrified of it. I wish I could just drive whereever I have to go but it is more time effective to fly. Life is about taking risks, in my opinion. I am amazed with the theory of flight and the mechanics of it, but equally terrified of it. I can take or leave Ben Affleck. He's ok as an actor I suppose. Jersey Girl, Goodwill Hunting, The Sum of All Fears & Changing Lanes were good movies.

September 16 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Most 9 yr olds wouldn't be ALLOWED to fly unaccompanied, at least- not by any RESPONSIBLE parents! Ben was being catered to because of his kid actor label, and the GRAVY TRAIN of riches to come that his folks were obviously willing to climb aboard :)

Thanks

September 16 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Fortner

Life is so hard for the rich, beautiful famous people of the United States. Sigh.

September 16 2010 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greg

Pussy liberal

September 16 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to greg's comment
Jeremy Fortner

Pussy Greg.

September 16 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cjhris

To all of you (all 13) that believe Ben is a good or in some cases great (Lord help us) actor: I bet you thought that "J-Lo" was good also. Did you like Milli-Vanilli< If Ben A is a good actor, then Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Clark Gabel,....... are FANTASTIC./ There was a scene on "The Family Guy" once that showed Ben A getting ready for a new role. In it he turned off the TV said: "I got to get ready to play that new part, can I do a British doctor?. "Hello Maty","There that's good gotta go I really laughed a that one, because it seem to me to be SO TRUE. If he would research his parts, like Tom Hanks, or Harrison Ford, or just about any successful actor, then maybe I would give him a little break, No I am sorry I wouldn't, the guy sucks.

September 16 2010 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply