October 22, 2014

'Big Brother 12' Winner Named (Season Finale Recap)

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Sep 16th 2010 12:45AM
The Brigade lives the high life as the final threeWho won 'Big Brother 12'?

What a long strange trip this season has been. Sure, that can be said for most seasons of the ultimate hamster-watching. Yet, the game play this season, coupled with the lack of diversity in casting, made for a genuinely odd summer in the 'Big Brother' house.

It's the season of the witch and of the dodos. But even more than that, it's the season of the Brigade -- the largest secret alliance to make it to the end with three members in the final three. The Animal, the Beast and the Meow Meow. Who woulda thunk it?

After winning the final Head of Household competition, Hayden Moss chose to face off against Lane Elenburg for the $500,000 prize. The jury grilled them both, and ended up voting for Hayden by a 4-3 vote.

The finale show was long, we're talking two hours. Thankfully, only about ten minutes was spent recapping the season. What they did seem to hype was the Brigade. With the exception of Hayden, the remaining Brigade members are probably two of the most inept hamsters ever in the house. Well, there's Kathy, but let's not go there.

However, one thing that both Lane and Enzo offered us this season was comedy relief. Both could come off as dumb as a box of rocks, yet their lines were some of the best ones in the show all season. Even tonight when Enzo decided he was the Godfather and arranged a hit on himself, I had to laugh. And then again, when voting his line "I have to decide between who needs a haircut or who needs a shave" came out, I guffawed out loud.

On the other hand, Matt continues to creep me out. Not only was there the wife lie, but when Britney arrived in the jury house, he took credit for the Brigade. I was thrilled that Andrew, then Annie, both credited Enzo. Hey, the guy needs some kind of credit for the alliance he formed on the second day. It was Enzo, not Matt. Let's get that straight!

The jury debate itself was intriguing. Rachel and her puppy dog Brendon, decided that since they're personally the best competitors ever and they're on the jury, this is the year of the social game. In a way, they're definitely right -- otherwise Lane and Enzo wouldn't be in the final three. But there was the underlying feeling that Rachel felt that way because she was evicted and not them. While it's shocking that she admitted to not playing a good social game, she stood fast with her and Brendon being the best ever.

When they finally got around to the third part of the HoH competition, I really figured Hayden would win by a landslide. Instead, unrehearsed on live television, Lane and Hayden kept coming up with the exact same answers -- even the wrong one. They were like psychic twins or something. Kind of creepy if you ask me. Neither one came anywhere near close with the tiebreaker, but Hayden won it and, despite editing, chose to evict Enzo.

Now, I thought it would be a clear victory for Hayden if he made the final two at all. I believe most of the audience did. Our first inkling that the votes might not be unanimous for just about the first time this season came back at the jury debate. It's probably more personal than awarding the true winner for their glorious achievements in the house. I'd say it's more like "I don't want him to win, so I'm voting for him."

The jury questioning advanced the Brenchel agenda. Both tried to suck up to the jury, but Lane is just a bit slower on the take. He blew the question with Enzo and that turned out to be the deciding vote. Matt, Kathy and Ragan went for competitors while Brendon and Rachel voted social gamers. Britney voted for her bestest friend ever in the house. Lane stumbled and said that he hadn't decided which to take to the final two when Enzo asked. Had he only said Enzo, that would have nailed his victory. Instead, Hayden got Enzo's vote sealing Lane's doom.

Although the boys played a non-game for the most part, their secret alliance with its side-alliances did work. It controlled the vote and kept them safe. Of the folks in the house, I was mostly entertained by Enzo and Britney, with Lane's Diary Room sessions as a bonus. This was the first season ever that I never had a clear-cut favorite. Either they creeped me out (Matt) or they had an obnoxious laugh and personality (Rachel) or fell for a cheap loud snorts-when-she laughs "I am Vegas!" bimbo (Brendon) or they basically faded into the woodwork.

Yet the ones I liked really had no chance of winning; maybe that's why I couldn't commit to a favorite. At least Britney won the $25,000 America's Vote prize as the favorite player. She was the choice with a whopping 41% of the votes here on our TV Squad poll for the prize, too. Do we know our stuff or what?

rohod

I've watched every season thus far, and I felt frustrated at this year's show. While I did like the strategy employed by the "bragade" with their side alliances and their ultimate success, I found this season rather lackluster.
I am tired of the diary room segments which are nothing more than recaps of the comps. How about some diary room segments that are like the UK Big Brother where someone actually interviews the houseguest and we get some real insight into their experiences and feelings. Stop dumbing it down, CBS!
The long winded recaps need to be dropped. Again, stop dumbing it down, CBS! (This season seemed worse than previous ones for this. Perhaps it was because there was so little going on in the house that they simply needed to fill up the air time)?
It's time for some fresh ideas for the comps. Enough with the endurance comps that feature the wind and rain elements. Same goes for the quizzes. The tie-breaker for the final HOH was really stupid. It was the equivalent of asking the contestants to pick a number between 1 and 10, or flipping a coin. What a stupid way to get a final HOH!
How about spicing things up with more secret tasks that are just fun and goofy, such as Big Brother UK has done with the "Tree of Temptation"? I realize that many of you aren't familiar with BB UK, but this comment is already quite long-winded without going into detail on that series. Suffice it to say that I think CBS could look to that version of the shoe for some guidance.

September 20 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Just hoping that because the ratings were up this season, Allison Grodner doesn't take that to mean another boring cast next time around. This "Let's all be best friends" group was for the birds. There has to be another Evel Dick out there somewhere.

September 16 2010 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Jackie - I cannot believe you didn't mention the "that's what she said" contest recap. I laughed my ass off at some of the crazy stuff that was coming out of Lane's mouth! Best one HAD to be "whoever that girl is... she is EVERYWHERE!" Man, I about busted a gut with that whole segment! As funny as Enzo was last night and all season, Lane continually had some crazy stuff come out. Dude cracks me up.

September 16 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

What Matt was taking credit for was coming up with the winning strategy the Brigade followed. Without that strategy they would never have remained a secret. It was his idea for each of them to have a single public ally so that people would concentrate on that pairing instead of noticing how close the four of them were. This meant they could always vote out the phony ally while keeping the Brigade intact.

Enzo may have chosen the original team, but he had no idea what to do with it. He also demonstrated throughout the series that he had none of the competitive skills needed to win Big Brother. He just coasted along on everyone else's work while arrogantly boasting about his superiority. I'm very glad he not only came in third place in terms of evictions, but came in seventh place in terms of the value of his total winnings behind Hayden, Lane, Britney, Ragan, Monet, and Rachel.

September 16 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I think both Hayden and Lane couldn't answer the stupid questions that were asked. Yes Lane should have said he would have taken Enzo. Britney still would have voted for him. But I think Hayden sold himself better than Lane. It was rehearsed as he must have been thinking of what to say for weeks.
I thought the vote would have been 6-1 for Hayden but I think Rachel and Brendon voted for Lane because Hayden lied to Brendon by putting him up knowing he was going to be kicked off. Matt voted for Hayden because he believes it was Lane that got him kicked out when it was really Enzo.

September 16 2010 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

The reason why she said congratulations and Hayden jumped out of the chair is because I believe the cameras wanted to capture the winner being annouced and I would assume Julie showed the key with Hayden's name on it and he saw it on the house television and jumped up.

September 16 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria Buchanan

Why did Hayden jump up a the winner before Julie called his name? She said congratulations and he jumped up arms out wide and excited. I'm not able to recieve replies and sent a note and they sent back giving me another password so this is why you might be seeing me again with same question.

September 16 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria Buchanan

I have recieved two emails with reply to my statement, "Hayden jumped out of his seat before his name was even called", Julie said Congratulations and he jumped up. I don't know how to find the replies. I copy and paste the URL and eventually get to Big Brother on second page but still can't find David and Pam's reply to me... not sure why I'm writing this cause I won't find the reply to this either.

September 16 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Did anyone else notice the winner reveal was blown?

As soon as Hayden got 3 votes it was over... why? If you still have the show, rewatch when Enzo votes... You can't see the key he inserts, but you can see the exposed key of Lane's sticking out of the velvet bag, not in his hands... nice job, Meow Meow!

September 16 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I've said this before, I think this season had a lot of potential, and I want to give credit to the "Bro-gade" for pulling off their plan this season with very few hiccups, but for me as a viewer, a season full of unanimous evictions was a real bore. I think the jury made the right decision in giving the money and title to Hayden, especially after Lane choked on his answers... I'm also glad America voted for Britney as their favorite, considering she had the best DR sessions of the season.

September 16 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kristi's comment
jenny

very unusual season, but my biggest award goes to ENZO--he is the most stupid, arrogant, pompous, weakling--. he is so full of himself it made me nausous to watch him. he could not win anything, but was so full of excuses for why he failed, again and again! he is not stupid, just not very smart!! i would have screamed if he had won.

September 16 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply