April 18, 2014

'MasterChef' Winner Overcomes Culinary Disaster

by Kelly Woo, posted Sep 16th 2010 10:20AM
MasterChef winner Whitney MillerThe first American winner of 'Masterchef' nearly lost it all thanks to a chicken catastrophe.

In the season finale, head judge Gordon Ramsay chose Whitney Miller, a 22-year-old college student, over software engineer David Miller for the $250,000 prize and cookbook publishing deal.

Both the Millers (unrelated) beat out Sheetal Bhagat and Lee Knaz to reach the final head-to-head competition. There, Whitney Miller almost threw everything away when the fried chicken she'd just cooked slipped off her spatula onto the floor. Ramsay looked horrified, but Whitney managed to re-cook her chicken in just seven minutes.

In the end, Whitney Miller's meal -- the country fried chicken, collard greens, crispy corncake and bread pudding -- wowed the judges. David Miller's scallop ceviche, beef Wellington and nectarine crepe also drew positive comments, though Ramsay didn't think it was "perfect."

After winning, an exhuberant Whitney Miller said she could "not be any more happy than I am right now," adding, "I just want to tell everybody that, you know what, if you have a dream -- go after it."

'MasterChef' was renewed for season 2 by Fox.

Carol T

Having just watched the series in SA - i can only agree with people's comments. Whitney should not have won. From day one she was favored by the judges. I will NOT be watching season two as obviously the best man will not win either - Is it another one of those dictates of a winner by the sponsors.?

February 07 2012 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dacey

Being a winner of Master chef is really a great achievement for a common man.There are competition between the contestants from all over the country.So being a winner is really being proud to be a master chef

June 14 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Parker

I was very disappointed that they chose Whitney - it confirms my suspicions that the judging is fictitious and based solely on advancing certain characters over others. David Miller proved he's a chef; yes, a slightly obnoxious one, but that's practically part of the job description anyway. I would love to have his dishes in my kitchen any night and I'd like to someday attempt them. Whitney may have been the pastry princess, but that's a far cry from being a chef. Fried chicken as a stunning dish? Really? Ramsey would have insulted ANYONE else who tried to get away with that low food in a final challenge. They just liked her story and her spunk, but the others got railroaded. I won't bother with season two.

September 20 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Parker's comment
Erica

Gordon loved Whitney from the first night. I agree, I will not watch season two. Nonsense that she won...she is cute, sweet and can make interesting food, but MASTER CHEF? How does a simple fried chicken go against beef wellington and win, when the beef looked like it was cooked perfectly! and I wanted a big bite!) Could it be because the beef was as good as or better then what took GR 12 years to perfect? I know David was in love with himself and had an ego as big as GR, but it was about the Food!I knew the winner would be Whitney from the first show---oh did i say FIXED? Sorry Whitney, you are adorable but not MASTER CHEF!

September 21 2010 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

completely unacceptable behavior tv squad.... i can't even scroll through your website, only reading the headlines, and yet I'm still readings spoilers. are you purposefully doing things to piss off your readers? its like you say you care about your readers, but yet you continually don't protect them -- or at least provide a disclaimer -- from spoilers.

September 18 2010 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmytheface

Yep - done reading this site. Goodbye.

September 16 2010 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

This show is unbelievably predictable. I refuse to watch Masterchef again because it's ridiculous how they assume its viewers are all simple-minded idiots. It's rather insulting, actually.

- My GF and I predicted EXACTLY who the finalists would be and how the show's producers would drag it out. Each cooking challenge involving three dishes results in the following:

Dish #1: Contestant A wins
Dish #2: Contestant B wins
Oh NO! A TIE BREAKER!!!
Dish #3: Preferred Contestant WINS!!!

So... no clean sweep? A cliffhanger for each dish? Every time? Oh please...

- At the beginning of this season, we knew that Whitney would win because the Masterchef producers/writers would assume that America would LOVVVVVE to see a young, pretty Southern bumpkin emerge triumphant.

I dreaded David Miller when he tried to pull his schtick at the start of player selection and the judges didn't stand for his BS. Yet, they chose him because they/the producers wanted an ass for a competitor in the finals. Yes, the NE asshole vs. the precious Southern princess. Isn't that what America/Fox Viewers want? Let's give them that! Oh please...

This show is scripted, predictable and insulting.

- The cutaway shots of peoples' reactions to a mistake (usually of someone in extreme disappointment or stomach discomfort) is TOO MUCH. Each dish requires some sort dramatic music ("Dun dun dun!!!!") and a reaction shot of agony from a family member or former contestant. Then, as mentioned in an earlier post, Dave cries.

- The judges were probably "urged" to vote in a certain manner because you would have a number of dishes that looked as if they were done professionally, and then some that looked sloppy. And somehow, the judges would allow a bunch of them through, regardless of the contrast in presentation. Based on presentation and (I guess) taste, Lee should have won this all but didn't.

I could rag on this joke of a show and compare to a scripted wrestling bout... and I just did. Do NOT watch this show unless you enjoy ignorant programming.

And also, change the picture to a generic show logo to prevent people from seeing a spoiler when they SHOULDN'T BE HERE UNTIL THEY SEE ALL OF THEIR SHOWS FIRST! I, of course, learned that the hard way personally until it finally sunk in: Avoid TVSquad.com until you see the finale.

September 16 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mb's comment
mb

And as a disclaimer... I am not implying that anyone who lives in the NorthEast is an asshole. Nor am I implying that anyone who lives in the South is a country bumpkin.

But it sure seems that Masterchef's/Hell's Kitchen's producers (they're the same, I'm sure) feel that way based on this scripted show.

September 16 2010 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jastrom

It doesn't matter what the title of the post was when it has a freaking picture of the winner right there, instant spoiler. Lame.

BTW I just watched the finale even though tvsquad spoiled the winner for me and it was a fantastic finale filled with lots of great drama. This is a fun show.

September 16 2010 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I was actually quite suprised they chose Whitney. I certainly liked her more than Dave, but I think Dave was more qualified. Which is not say Whitney should be dismissed as someone who "did nothing more than what a Georgia housewife does on a nightly basis." This is a girl who had zero experience and rose the occasion several times. Dave didn't really step up until the competition was more tha half over.

In the end, I think it was Dave's cockiness that lost him the competition. He put everything on that beef wellington and it didn't work. Besides, for such a cocky guy he sure does cry a lot.

September 16 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sid

Think about it, who's a better face for the series and cookbook, Whitney or any of the other final four? While I'm sure she's a great cook the other guys seemed to be doing more of what the judges were looking for.

September 16 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Anyone complaining about spoilers, just be thankful TVS saved you from wasting your time on this crap. It's "MasterChef" not "MasterBaker". All of the challenges that kept Whitney in it revolved around baking. And when push came to shove in the final match up, the "good" gourmet cuisine lost out to "good" diner food. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Maybe Whitney was performing some 'extra' talents behind the scenes or something, because we certainly didn't see any on the screen.

September 16 2010 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply