September 22, 2014

'Mike & Molly' Series Premiere: Plus-Sized Laughs? (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 21st 2010 5:13AM
'Mike & Molly'It's always nice if you have a great story about how you first met to tell the kids later. 'Mike & Molly' (Mon. 9:30PM on CBS) have a long way to go before they reach that stage of the relationship but they've definitely got a story to tell.

Creator Mark Roberts and executive producer Chuck Lorre ('Two and a Half Men,' 'The Big Bang Theory') wanted to present a comedy that more accurately reflected the America we see outside our windows rather than the one reflected back to us from our televisions.

Enter Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), two overweight singles who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting.

The sitcom looks to explore the ups and downs of a new relationship, along with the added burden of their obesity. It promises not to shy away with the real issues heavy people face, like public staring, ridicule and grief about their size from friends and family.
Lorre definitely has a hot streak going, with both 'Two and a Half Men' and 'The Big Bang Theory' spending time recently as the top-rated sitcom on the air. And with 'Mike & Molly' getting the sweet spot on Monday nights after 'Men,' it's virtually guaranteed a big audience. So long as it can deliver the laughs, there's no reason people can't fall for this likable pair.

Mike falls for Molly at first sight, and comes into trouble when he tries to play it cool. Leaning on a table to ask her out, the table gives way, "I'm good, but that table is not up to code." And then Mike's finger gives way. "Is your finger supposed to be pointing in that direction?"

"No it is not!"

It's an awkward start, but there's an instant on-screen chemistry between Gardell and McCarthy ('Gilmore Girls,' 'Samantha Who?') that makes them fun to watch. As with 'The Big Bang Theory,' the show will need to move beyond its conceit (geeks vs. obese) to find the humor in its unique characters. With the talent on hand, and Lorre involved, we think 'Mike & Molly' can handle that task just fine.

Jessica C.

Was anyone else confused why some of them talk like they are from New York when it is set in Chicago?

September 27 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bette

I liked Mike and Molly, but the supporting cast needs improvements. I didn't like the sister or Mike's partner. Mike and Molly are funny and sweet and seem very comfortable with their parts. Please do something with the other cast members.

September 21 2010 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dutchy

I like it. Funny show. It is indeed quite predictable, but there are lots of jokes. Some fall flat, but some really delivers. I will keep on watching this, untill I am bored with it. Same happened to me on big bang and also on 2 and a half men.

September 21 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

I like the characters/actors and hope the show makes it. I am them. I spent most of my life thin until health problems took over my being and meds packed on the weight. ONLY then did I truly understand what a vertically challenged person gets from society. I saw each person as they are, not as they looked. BUT boy, society plays a different tune. So I like the idea that EVEN Hollywood can see the value in a person, and I don't have to be a size 0.

September 21 2010 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Not great, but pretty funny.
I like Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy enough as characters that I'll watch a few more episodes.

September 21 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

So creator Mark Roberts and executive producer Chuck Lorre wanted to present a comedy that more accurately reflected the America we see outside our windows. Well this wasn't it. Sure Melissa McCarthy was cute but they seemed to leave out the funny part. This would have never made it on TV except CBS has to keep its 2 1/2 Men and BBT creator happy.

September 21 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

I also thought it was cute and maybe the predictability of the fat jokes will wane as the relationship and storylines develop. Should hold Two & Half Men's audience well. However I did not care for the other cop. He dressed like Wesley Snipes circa 1995 and came off too much like a "Police Academy" cop than a Chicago patrol cop.

September 21 2010 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

It will have to get a lot better for me to watch again - hate fat jokes and stereotypes. Also, the depiction of an OA meeting was way off base.

September 21 2010 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I thought it was cute. If all the episodes are that funny/cute I will continue to watch.

September 21 2010 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply