'CSI' Season 11 Preview: The Justin Bieber Guest Star Edition
by Kim Potts, posted Sep 22nd 2010 5:21PM
That's right, The Beeb is in the house as 'CSI' kicks off its 11th season on Sept. 23 (9PM ET, CBS) with the acting debut of teen dream Justin Bieber.
Picking up where the 10th season finale left off, the season premiere opens with Laurence Fishburne's Raymond Langston clinging to life after being stabbed by serial killer Nate Haskell (Bill Irwin) and the CSI team attending a funeral that takes a turn for the deadly ... or deadlier.
And then there's Bieber, who'll play Jason McCann (which also sounds like a pop star name), a teen who's mixed up with an alternative political organization. McCann has to make a tough decision regarding his brother -- to squeal or not to squeal -- during an interrogation with Nick (George Eads).
Bieber, who joins a list of 'CSI' musician guest stars that also includes Roger Daltrey, John Mayer, Taylor Swift, Travis Barker, Obie Trice and Akon, will also return for at least one more episode later in season 11, likely during February sweeps.
In other season 11 action:
- She's been with the show since the beginning, but 'CSI' Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Marg Helgenberger insists that season 11 will be her last as a CSI, and she'll appear in 19 episodes.
- Another butt-kicking female will be joining the action: 'Battlestar Galactica' and '24' alum Katee Sackhoff will play Detective Reed, a strong, smart investigator who's great at her job, but seems to be missing a sensitivity chip when dealing with other humans. She's in for several episodes, at least, and will debut during November sweeps.
- In the Sept. 30 episode of 'CSI,' cleverly titled 'Pool Shark,' Holly Madison ('Girls Next Door') guests as a woman who witnesses a shark attack at a Vegas casino club's swimming pool. Elliot Gould plays Earnest Boozell, the club owner, while Method Man returns as rapper Drops.
- 'Pool Shark' will also give fans more backstory on Catherine, whose father, like Boozell, was a casino boss. In fact, she inherited the casino from him, and Helgenberger has hinted that the casino could be the reason Catherine leaves her CSI job.
- In that same 'Pool Shark' episode, expect an appearance by Liz Vassey, who was let go from the series after last season. Producers cited the fact that they want to take the show in a direction that won't include Vassey's DNA technician Wendy Simms, so Wendy will presumably bid her co-workers adieu in the Sept. 30 installment.
- The Oct. 7 episode, 'Blood Moon,' finds the CSI-ers investigating a murder at a vampire and werewolf convention. Andy Dick guest stars as an armory dealer, while 'The Young and the Restless' stars Thad Luckinbill and Michael Graziadei play convention goers.
- 'Sqweegel' is the title of the Oct. 14 'CSI,' in which the titular character, Sqweegel, is a serial killer based on a character from 'CSI' creator Anthony Zuiker's thriller novel 'Dark Prophecy.' Ann-Margret guest stars as Las Vegas legend Margot Wilton, while Vegas mayor Oscar B. Goodman guests as himself and 'Carnivàle' star Daniel Browing Smith appears as Sqweegel.
- 'CSI' showrunner Carol Mendelsohn says we'll finally meet Mrs. Langston later in the season. Perhaps Fishburne's real-life wife, 'Huge' star Gina Torres, should land the guest gig?
- And we haven't seen the last of nutty Nate Haskell. He'll return later in the season to stand trial for stabbing Langston, and may even defend himself.