October 26, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jimmy Asks a Stupid Question About Baby Food on 'Raising Hope' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 22nd 2010 5:36AM
'Raising Hope''Raising Hope' (Tue., 9PM on FOX) is the latest brainchild from Greg Garcia ('My Name Is Earl'), and there are a lot of familiar elements here for fans of 'Earl.' Both feature somewhat dopey families, only 'Hope' centers around the a baby named Hope that Jimmy Chance (Lucas Neff) and his family have to raise.

Get it? 'Raising Hope'? 'Cause they're going to raise the baby named Hope, but maybe the baby will help raise their hope as well? Because their lives kind of suck right now. Man, that is the kind of cleverness you just don't find on network television.

Almost as clever as Jimmy's question at the grocery store. We've seen new parents being overly cautious, but this is taking it to extremes. He prepared the cashier by tellling her that it may be a stupid question, but as she said afterward, "I just wasn't really prepared for that."

"The book I have says I should feed her vegetables ... but the only vegetable jars I found have pictures of either black babies or Asian babies on them, and I don't know if ... there's a reason Asian babies, instead of white ones, should eat these particular string beans." By that logic, none of us should be eating at KFC until we have our AARP cards.

The cashier proved herself quick on her feet, and probably at least a little smitten with our dim-witted Jimmy. "The colors of the babies on the jars doesn't matter," she explained. "However, it's really important that you do not feed her anything with a picture of a boy on it, or else she will grow a penis."

What she doesn't explain is how to tell what gender the Gerber baby is!

C C

Raising Hope was pretty good. However, I think the problem with the show is that it's too realistic. Trust me, I know who these people are. I suspect that the critics who are trashing Raising Hope haven't had a whole lot of contact with lower-class Americans.

September 22 2010 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

I agree! I was happily surprised with the pilots of both shows having seen reviews. Raising Hope and Running Wilde both have wonderful potential. Like the premises, like the creators behind them and the stars. I am glad every time I had a job, I was given more than 30 minutes to get it down! So hope both of these shows are allowed the time to ferment in the minds of the viewers and reviewers, and they will keep on running! (And how funny was Puddle?!)

September 22 2010 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I actually loved this pilot. I loved the "dim-witted" characters / the "dopey" family. It's the kind of family that from the outside you would NEVER want to be a part of, but by the end of the episode you realize they're the family EVERY family kind of strives to be, and they portrayed it in a way that wasn't at all cheesy. Instead it was sarcastic and dark and completely hilarious. That's hard to do and I plan on adding this new sitcom to my 'Must Watch' list.

September 22 2010 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

This is the way critics destroy promising shows that are not perfect in their pilots. This show, created by Garcia of Earl fame, deserves a chance to grow from its promising seeds, as does Running Wilde, from the creators of Arrested Development. I trust these talented people who have proven their abilities to improve their programs. But the culture of instant gratification wont allow that.

September 22 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Right?
I found it to be pretty good.
The characters are likeable, Shannon Woodward is great, definitely some potential here.
Seriously, how about giving it half a chance?

September 22 2010 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

Wow, you guys really, really unabashedly hate this show. I don't get it, I've seen much worse on TV and for a pilot episode, I didn't find it all that terrible.

September 22 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply