July 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Sigourney Weaver on the Curse of Being Too Tall (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Sep 22nd 2010 2:45AM
Sigourney Weaver on the Curse of Being Too TallSigourney Weaver is a famous actress and occasional international sex symbol. But still, she has her insecurities, as we all do. Luckily, Jon Stewart is the perfect person to confide in. So on the latest 'Daily Show' (weeknights, 11PM ET on Comedy Central), Sigourney reveals all her problems to a sympathetic ear.

First, Weaver confesses that she wasn't very popular in high school. Honestly, though, this is probably a good thing. Our premise is that anyone who ends up being cool later on in life wasn't actually "cool" in high school. But this is just a working theory.

"I was a very low form of life in high school," Weaver says. "Protoplasm," Stewart suggests, which is about as low on the scale as you can get. But what was the central problem that Ms. Weaver had to deal with? Well, it was the fact that she's really tall. "I was this tall at [age] eleven," she says. And how tall is that? Five feet, eleven inches. She said that this caused many, many problems at high school dances, where she would have to dance with much smaller boys.

Yeah, it's tough being overly tall when you're growing up. (A shame that this particular 'TV Squad' writer knows all too well.) On the other hand, it could be worse. If you're tall at a young age, then you at least won't get any shorter. And being on the more petite side is a pain that Mr. Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz knows all too well -- since he's only 5'6"; or five inches shorter than Sigourney.

So while the actress complains about being too tall growing up, Jon complains about being too tiny. As Weaver grouches about her height at age eleven, Stewart says this: "See, I was this tall when I'm forty-seven." That's Jon's current age right now -- and frankly, there's not much chance of him experiencing a growth spurt.

Honestly, we think it might be time for Sigourney to get past her insecurities. After all, she played Ripley in the 'Alien' movies, and there's no one cooler than that. If Weaver can't feel good about herself, then what hope is there for the rest of us?

David S.

Maybe Ms. Weaver should be more concerned about her current lackluster career instead of her height.

September 22 2010 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

Here's some one-upsmanship for you all- I'm 6'2" and 57 years old. Here's the real truth": Being taller than everyone around you when you're young is awful. Being taller than everyone around you when you're a young adult is mostly OK, except for when you're looking for a date or a dance partner. Being taller than everyone around you when you're approaching your senior years stinks again. Only when you're at the age when people say, "Are you a model?" is it fun to be extrememly tall.

Advice for tall girls and young women: Think how hard most people have to work to get the attention that you get by just walking into a room. It's what you do with that attention that counts. People are going to look at you anyway- so give them something to remember. If you want to appear shorter, stand up straighter. Stooping brings extra attention to your height. Oh- and, if you have long legs and have trouble finding jeans, www.MakeYourOwnJeans.com will make whatever you want in whatever you want for about 60.00, and if your feet match your height, shop for shoes at Zappos.com. They'll have your size, no matter what it is.

My son is 19 and 6'6". He's an actor and performer. He's always being complimented on his height. I guess that means that one advantage of being a really tall woman is that you can give your kids the gift of height. And that's pretty cool.

September 22 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fujimooji

Embrace the height. I am barely tall enough to drive a car without a booster seat (as required by law 4'9"). Must have a stool to reach to adjust shower head, can't reach anything higher than bottom shelf in kitchen, can't reach items on upper shelves in supermarket, get soaked trying to reach veggies on upper tiers (forget the vertical arrangement) . . basically its physically challenging. Oh you statuesque gals . . STOP IT! You are stunning!

September 22 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pd39

With the money she made off one movie, why is she whining? Some people are never happy!

September 22 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tall and proud

I grew up as a tall girl as well. I was 6'1 by the time I was in the 8th grade. I used to get compliments all the time about how I walked tall, and I wore 2" heels. I always made sure to walk straight with my shoulders back. My biggest problem was that I was extremely skinny at the time at less then 115 pounds, so not only did I have a problem finding clothes that would fit my height, but also the fact that I was too skinny at the time.

Now however I am no longer that skinny girl, and I am able to find pants long enough, but finding shirts of the right length are still not easy. I prefer longer shirts and trying to find something that is approx 30" long is not easy, same with the sleeve length. To allow for the length needed I have been wearing mens t-shirts and sweatshirts, but when it comes to girly things I get some items from Women Within because they tend to have good lengths and good prices at the same time.

September 22 2010 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

The other thing I forgot to mention is these "older" stars, and how people say they look so good and are "aging well". 95% of them have had considerable "freshening up".. and more than 2 or 3 times. Lifts, botox, skin smothening, neck and chin tightening, etc.
Look at Florence Henderson on DWTS. (she is a HORRIBLE dancer)..Her face is smooth as can be...How do you think that happened? No dents or big wrinkles... She would look her age without all that work they get done here and there. So when you hear someone say, "you don't look your age" to them, or "you look wonderful"...They're not telling the truth about what work they've had done.

September 22 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GINGER10487

ALL SHE HAS TO DO IS WAIT A FEW YEARS AND SHE WILL SHRINK. I USED TO BE 5'6 NOW 5' ALL PEOPLE AS THEY GET OLDER SHRINK .

September 22 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

Being only 5'3", I don't like being so short; but if I had the choice of being almost 6' instead, it would be a draw. Perfect height for a woman is 5'6".

September 22 2010 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SDemt

I'm tall too - almost 6' & have a quiet personality, better suited to someone petite & now that I'm older I've told my (taller) daughter two things: don't bypass shorter guys, as great guys come in all sizes & be grateful that everything works. A lot of people aren't lucky enough to have legs & feet that carry them healthily through the day.

September 22 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Miss Weaver is certainly aging well, but really, an OCCASIONAL SEX SYMBOL? Have you seen her in a tight t shirt & panties on those 'Alien' movies? She has nothing up top and flat, broad hips. She's definitely not ugly, but 'sex symbol' is certainly a stretch...

September 22 2010 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply